Penn State effect on realignment | The Boneyard

Penn State effect on realignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
At present the news media, and sports news media are in absolute frenzy mode. The upshot of every single story seems to be, this was allowed to happen because college football is too big, too powerful and too influential on universities and college communities. A college president just got sacked. Why? He put football first.

Taking that train of thought, do you see any change in the recent realignment events, which while not involving sick, criminal behavior, are driven by much the same motivation? College presidents and boards right now must be stepping back and looking at the choices and sacrifices they are making for their schools, students and communities in the name of football. Missouri and A&M look greedy and stupid. Pitt and Syracuse as well, even Nebraska (Americas team this week) and Colorado. If you're Boise, joining a league based thousands of miles away and possibly hurting all your other programs, looks like a bad move. It's going to be interesting to witness the broader fallout and I wouldn't be surprised to see the BCS end in 2013 so that the member schools can avoid looking like greedy, football crazed idiots.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Could this year be the only B1G conference championship game ever played? It is not out of the realm of possibility that the PSU football program may be shut down for a couple of years...which would then put the B1G back below 12 teams and not make them eligible for a conference championship game.

Reaction Score
Could this year be the only B1G conference championship game ever played? It is not out of the realm of possibility that the PSU football program may be shut down for a couple of years...which would then put the B1G back below 12 teams and not make them eligible for a conference championship game.
Ruttie is finally in!!! Take us too please!!

Reaction Score
PSU is not cancelling football nor is this an NCAA issue. PSU will be fine. Further, this will have no positive effect on the greed of college football. In fact, it will amplify it. Other programs will try to steal PSU players and coaches and lawsuits will motivate PSU to make more money not cancel money making sports.

Reaction Score
PSU is not cancelling football nor is this an NCAA issue. PSU will be fine. Further, this will have no positive effect on the greed of college football. In fact, it will amplify it. Other programs will try to steal PSU players and coaches and lawsuits will motivate PSU to make more money not cancel money making sports.

Please explain how this is not an NCAA issue. I realize the NCAA would love to make ths go away and is probably trying to figure out a way to protect a prized asset right now because $$ drives everything. Even with our short attention spans and the bloviating about the kids that will take a back seat to the priority of keeping the football asset afloat, this is big and a lot of important people will be jumping in to have their say.Too much for the NCAA to ignore.

First decommit just came in tonight.

Reaction Score
The PSU scandal is not directly an NCAA issue. But it will effect NCAA sports, and realignment, because it will be the straw that broke the camel's back with respect to Congressional involvement. I guaranty you there are some in Washington merely waiting for this story to settle down, so they don't get caught on the wrong side of the wave, to use it to justify regulating college sports.

And, in the wake of this scandal, public opinion will shift and normal people will want Congress involved because of the obviousness of the failure of the universities to make this work themselves.

Reaction Score
And, in the wake of this scandal, public opinion will shift and normal people will want Congress involved because of the obviousness of the failure of the universities to make this work themselves.

+1. . . .take away PSU and it's still a horrendous week for college sports. UCF, Ohio State, now Texas. Realignment is well beyond absurd stage. Don't think new laws/federal oversight will make things better, but there will be pressure to do something.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The PSU scandal is not directly an NCAA issue. But it will effect NCAA sports, and realignment, because it will be the straw that broke the camel's back with respect to Congressional involvement. I guaranty you there are some in Washington merely waiting for this story to settle down, so they don't get caught on the wrong side of the wave, to use it to justify regulating college sports.

I think Congress will not likely actually regulate, but will use the threat of it to bust the BCS, and move to conrtol of football by the NCAA. We'll have a playoff of some kind. The Presidents, in this climate, would not dare want to be seen putting football ahead of the greater good, educational mission, welfare of students etc. TV money will be more widely distributed, and the power of individual programs and of football within any one university, will decline. I think this is all but essential at this point.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

You could be correct particularly if it is demonstrated that the state of Pennsylvania inadequately protected these children because the influence from people both inside the university and outside the university with ties to the institution interfered with due process in order to protect the football program.

Reaction Score

This is all too true. Presidents cower in the face of all the pressures. I've been saying this for months. Spanier's case is no surprise to me. When you think of a man earning almost a million dollars not acting in such a case, it tells you a lot about where power rests in a university.

As for politicians regulating this, it may be a good thing, but they need to look in the mirror themselves because they are complicit. It's political pressure in the first place that emasculates any rule of law regarding athletics on college campuses. And with Gov. Corbett, there are already many questions about his actions in this case, ranging from his time as AG overseeing this case, to the leak of the grand jury report, to his "unsolicited" demand that the BOT fire Paterno.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
This is all too true. Presidents cower in the face of all the pressures. I've been saying this for months. Spanier's case is no surprise to me. When you think of a man earning almost a million dollars not acting in such a case, it tells you a lot about where power rests in a university.

As for politicians regulating this, it may be a good thing, but they need to look in the mirror themselves because they are complicit. It's political pressure in the first place that emasculates any rule of law regarding athletics on college campuses. And with Gov. Corbett, there are already many questions about his actions in this case, ranging from his time as AG overseeing this case, to the leak of the grand jury report, to his "unsolicited" demand that the BOT fire Paterno.
I agree. Sandusky and his victims are the most important issue.

The second is the lack of oversight by the university and those regulating bodies outside the university who are specifically created to handle these matters.

The anger toward Paterno and McQueary is justified. But I'm not seeing the same type of anger and lens focusing on all the parties who failed to ensure this thing was stopped in 98. All those parties, including the police who handled the matter, did not ensure that Sandusky was stopped. And that brings into question who had the power and authority to make sure things were covered up. It wasn't McQueary. And it sure as heck wasn't Paterno.

I can't see how a Pennsylvania investigation into these matters will uncover all the dirt. There are two many powerful people connected to the university.

Reaction Score
Agree there were many enablers, but respectfully disagree re '98 incident. Paterno had know about that one. Will take a lot to prove there was no relationship between JS retiring in exchange for keeping things quiet.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The second is the lack of oversight by the university and those regulating bodies outside the university who are specifically created to handle these matters.

The whole incident will force changes in the way colleges handle these things. Marquette is under investigation for not reporting sexual assault accusations to the police. College Security has handled this stuff for years to minimize the impact outside the college and run security as local fiefdoms with in-house suspensions and expulsions.

We'll see new protocols for addressing, escalating and documenting sexual assault of all types.

A good field to get into for you traveling consultant types. It will be next year's hot button consulting gig. "Evaluating institutional reporting requirements for reporting sexual assaults". An easy $10,000 plus expenses consulting gig for a week of field work and some boiler plate common sense remedies.

Reaction Score

Disagree.

One key Repub talking point is that there's too much regulation. Undermine themselves by pushing for it here.
And I'm not sure the Dems would want to touch something (college athletics) that, at it's heart, is incredibly popular. Particularly in swing states like NC, PA, OH.

I think it'd be pretty easy to demonize any attempt to mess with college sports.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Anyone interested in a similar situation should look at the Baylor basketball case. It is the worst case senario for PSU if all insinuations are proved true.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Anyone interested in a similar situation should look at the Baylor basketball case. It is the worst case senario for PSU if all insinuations are proved true.
You have to wonder how much the football program will take a hit. There is always a danger of a let down when an icon leaves the school. The duration of Paterno's time at PSU, plus these circumstances should combine to make things really difficult for the football program. If someone argued they will be in a vicious cycle of free fall for an extended period, it would be a plausible argument.

One has to wonder if the B!g wants to have such a weak sister representing the northeast. These events could precipitate the B!G wanting to take one or more eastern teams. On the other hand the B!G may just live with the idea they won't generate much interest within the northeast.

Reaction Score
You have to wonder how much the football program will take a hit. There is always a danger of a let down when an icon leaves the school. The duration of Paterno's time at PSU, plus these circumstances should combine to make things really difficult for the football program. If someone argued they will be in a vicious cycle of free fall for an extended period, it would be a plausible argument.

One has to wonder if the B!g wants to have such a weak sister representing the northeast. These events could precipitate the B!G wanting to take one or more eastern teams. On the other hand the B!G may just live with the idea they won't generate much interest within the northeast.

Being stuck in mediocrity hasn't really hurt ND's draw. I think there will still be a huge following for PSU regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom