Penn State athletics commemorates 25 years in Big Ten Conference | The Boneyard

Penn State athletics commemorates 25 years in Big Ten Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://btn.com/2015/06/04/penn-state-athletics-commemorates-25-years-in-big-ten-conference/

Just four months into his tenure as commissioner of the Big Ten Conference, Jim Delany recalls an idea brought to the table by former Illinois President Stan Ikenberry.

It was October of 1989 when Ikenberry, who spent time as a senior administrator at Penn State earlier in his career, broached the thought of adding an institution to the Big Ten for the first time since Michigan State was invited to become a member in 1949.

The Big Ten then began a formal research process of an institution that would bridge a Midwestern league to the East.

The Pennsylvania State University was on the table for discussion as a superb academic institution with a rich tradition in athletic success.

Delany, whose sister attended Penn State as a graduate student, didn’t need much convincing. He knew the level of potential a partnership between Penn State and the Big Ten could foster.

“The Big Ten hadn’t changed in many, many decades, but I thought if the opportunity to expand presented itself it was a no brainer,” Delany said earlier this week. “Excellent academics. Excellent athletics. And pointed towards the East Coast, I thought there was a lot of potential there. That was my recommendation at the time.”

The process moved forward with the presidents and chancellors of the Big Ten institutions discussing the topic before news broke just before the holidays in December of 1989 that Penn State could be on its way into a new conference. Under the direction of athletic director Jim Tarman, Penn State had been competing as an independent in football for more than a century, and the rest of the department had been a member of the Atlantic 10 since 1976.

When the news initially surfaced, women’s volleyball head coach Russ Rose, who along with field hockey coach Charlene Morett-Curtiss are the two current Penn State head coaches who were on staff in 1989, was giving a presentation at the annual women’s volleyball coaches convention (AVCA) about the importance of NCAA Tournament at-large bids for teams in smaller conferences.

“I remember talking in front of the group about the importance that not all of the at-large bids go to the bigger conferences and that there were good teams in other conferences even though they didn’t have the same notoriety, said Rose. “We have a lunch break. I turn on ESPN at lunch, and I see that Penn State is going to be a member of the Big Ten. I come back. I say to some people that I would like to retract what I said about at-large teams.”

The formal process concluded with a vote in Iowa City on June 4, 1990, at which time Penn State was officially accepted as a member of the Big Ten Conference. Twenty-five years have passed in a partnership that allowed both the University and conference to reach unprecedented heights on the field and in the classroom.

“From a broad perspective, at the time, my view was that it was a tremendous fit for both sides. And history has proven that,” Delany said. “With all the other expansions around the country, I’m not sure there was one that benefitted both institution and conference as much as this did, largely because of the characteristics of Penn State were so well matched with the characteristics of the Big Ten.”

The positive news zipped throughout campus shortly after the vote in Iowa.

“I remember hearing about the announcement from Mary Jo Haverbeck, from the Sports Information office,” said Morett-Curtiss. “She told me about us going in and how it was going to have a major impact for women’s athletics at Penn State.”

It was an announcement that changed the landscape of funding and development for all of Penn State’s 28 programs at the time, and it was a day Morett-Curtiss remembers quite well.

“Ironically, I had gone for a run that day on the trails near Sunset Park and as I’m running, I see someone walking in front of me and it was Joe Paterno,” Morett-Curtiss said. “And it was that day, so I said to him, ‘hey what’s going to happen?’ He said, ‘I think this is going to be a really good thing for Penn State and the exposure all of the programs are going to get.’”

Penn State’s teams felt the impact of the Big Ten conference almost immediately.

“What it did for us when we joined the Big Ten is that it No. 1 it resulted in a reassessment of the levels of commitment we had to the various programs,” Rose said. “We became fully funded when we joined the Big Ten. Prior to that, we were not fully funded. And we were not fully staffed. Entering Big Ten, collectively, for all of the sports resulted in us having a new commitment from the University to try and be competitive. From a volleyball perspective, we had been competitive prior to that, but playing in the Big Ten in women’s volleyball made us better because the level of competition was better than we were experiencing in the Atlantic 10.”

At the time, women’s volleyball had just one assistant coach on the staff alongside Rose and nine scholarships to field a roster. Joining the Big Ten boosted the program to full funding and 12 scholarships.

“As I look at it now, we could have had some great teams if we had funding in the early years,” said Rose. “That was just the way that it was. When you take a job, that is the job you took. When we joined the Big Ten, a lot of us got a better job without having to move. But it’s way more competitive. Recruiting is a lot different than what we had experienced in the Atlantic 10.”

The same can be said for what Morett-Curtiss experienced within the field hockey program.

“The financial support from a scholarship standpoint was huge right away,” said Morett-Curtiss. “And knowing our field that we were going to build was going to be a first rate facility.”

The investment for success around the Big Ten stood out during Penn State’s transition. Every institution and athletic program strives to be the best. It’s a trait that has not changed during the department’s 25 years as a member, and it’s something that will be a trademark of the Big Ten for decades to come.

“The level of commitment to being good across the conference, everybody cared,” said Rose. “I don’t believe every conference across the country has that sort of commitment in all of their sports. I think that is one of the things that makes the Big Ten really unique. If they offer it, they care and they want to be relevant.”

Penn State’s time in the Big Ten has been marked by excellence in the classroom and on the field of play. In all, Penn State’s programs have accounted for 92 Big Ten championships from 15 different programs – 76 regular season and 16 post-season. Additionally, more than 170 student-athletes have accounted for nearly 300 individual Big Ten titles.

Penn State student-athletes have earned more than 5,000 Academic All-Big Ten recognitions since it joined the conference, with its three highest totals during the past three years, led by 296 in 2012-13.

“Penn State’s entrance into the Big Ten not only changed the intercollegiate sports landscape, it also changed our academic landscape and our future. Our size, our academic reputation and our athletic tradition matched up well with Big Ten schools,” said Penn State President Eric Barron, who also noted that all Big Ten schools are flagship universities for their states. “The academic side of the Big Ten is known as the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC) and the institutions together have annual research expenditures topping $10.2 billion — more than the Ivy League and the University of California System combined — and they educate a total of nearly 600,000 students. The benefits from being part of such an outstanding and prestigious organization with such an expansive footprint across the nation are immeasurable.”

The women’s volleyball program earned Penn State’s first Big Ten crown during the 1992 season, just one year after the team began competing in the league. The title marked the first of Penn State’s superlative 16 Big Ten titles in women’s volleyball, in addition to seven NCAA Championships since 1999.

Like women’s volleyball, the women’s soccer program has been a benchmark of success in conference play. The program became the department’s 29th varsity sport in 1994. Since then, Penn State has won an unprecedented 16 conference titles, including a string of 15-straight from 1998-2012.

The football program claimed the Big Ten title in its second season of competition during an undefeated Rose Bowl championship campaign in 1994. Coach Joe Paterno’s ’94 squad became the first Big Ten team to ever post a 12-0 record. The ’94 crown marked the program’s first of three Big Ten championships to date (2005 and 2008).

The fall season of 2005 stands out as a monumental period in Penn State’s history within the conference. Nittany Lion teams clinched five Big Ten titles in a span of 30 days. The list included field hockey, football, men’s soccer, women’s soccer and women’s volleyball. Since the fall of 2005, Penn State teams have won 51 Big Ten championships (5.1 titles per year in a 10-year span).

It’s impossible to quantify how the partnership between Penn State and the Big Ten altered the recruiting landscape for the teams on campus and how the recruiting gains equated to success on the field of play. But pitching a world-renowned education with an elite conference affiliation cultivated relationships with premier student-athletes.

“The name recognition was big for football, but when you see how many of the Universities and programs have been successful on a national level, I think that has greatly helped,” Morett-Curtiss. “Exposure for all of the Universities within the conference has helped us all grow. Combining the academic side of what these Universities have with the athletics, it’s a very powerful combination when we go out recruiting student-athletes.”

A big piece to the exposure of Penn State teams during the past 25 years was the launch of the Big Ten Network on Aug. 30, 2007. More than 800 Penn State sporting events have aired live on the BTN since it launched. The benefits of the conference’s TV network, which is in more than 60 million homes, increased visibility across the country for the department in a way that cannot be measured.

“The Network was a major step for us,” Morett-Curtiss. “Just having the opportunity to have games on TV so that little girls can watch and learn about the sport. It’s helped, not only exposure for the program, but it’s helped the sport grow. It’s just a phenomenal avenue for us to showcase our University and the sport.”

The BTN’s impact goes back to what Rose talked about as one of the immediate impacts his program felt – funding. Not only did the BTN infinitely increase exposure for Penn State teams, it has played a paramount role in increased revenues for each institution.

“Certainly, the Big Ten Network has been instrumental in generating funds for the Universities and the conference and the bowl revenue sharing has resulted in more money for all of the schools and the conference,” said Rose.

While the competitive atmosphere is intense between teams across all of the conference’s sports, each member institution understands that the individual success aids in the growth of the collective conference.

“I think the relationship has been a really positive one,” said Rose. “There are a lot of similarities between the various Universities.”

“Everybody in the Big Ten shares what they do and why they do it; best practices,” said Dave Baker, Associate Athletic Director for Business Operations. “We share lots of ideas, at least from the business manager and ticketing perspective. We learn things from one another. And there aren’t secrets. We all work together and try to help each other out…We all don’t do things the same way. We all have limitations, but we are all looking to help one another out for the betterment of the conference.

“Some people would find it hard to believe that people in the Big Ten root for other Big Ten teams in the postseason, but we do. We follow what is going on…It is a cooperative spirit and a partnership.”

Baker is one of just a handful of Penn State administrators and coaches who have been with Intercollegiate Athletics during the past 25 years. That list includes Jan Bortner, who was head coach of the men’s tennis team in 1990 and has since transitioned into a role as an associate athletic director. Among the key changes Baker felt from the business operation centered on travel. Bus trips were the norm for Penn State teams in the Atlantic 10, but the geography of the Big Ten led to more plane travel.

A quarter century has passed since initial discussions of a new relationship took place and bonds were formed. Many things have changed significantly for Penn State, the conference and intercollegiate athletics nationwide, but it’s been 25 years marked by growth stemming from a vision in 1989.

“Pennsylvania is a very important state. It served as a bridge to the East for us. It made our football offerings stronger,” said Delany. “It has been excellence with national championships in a variety of sports. And I have always felt that the 1994 Penn State team was the best team in the country; no disrespect to Nebraska. When you look at the players that team had (five first team All-Americans on offense) and what that group accomplished. That team was the national runner-up. That was a tremendous football team. I’ve seen some very good basketball teams both on the men’s side and the women’s side. And obviously, the wrestling and volleyball programs have been dominant on the national scene.”

Penn State has won a total of 27 national championships since joining the Big Ten, including three in 2013-14, and the department’s collective success speaks for itself.

By no means was the integration in 1990 an easy one, but the partnership between the University and Big Ten is a match that enabled both sides to mutually prosper in a way neither side could have envisioned when the formal vote concluded 25 years ago today.

upload_2015-6-4_11-58-48.png

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
No way it seems like a quarter century ago. Man I'm getting old.
Had the same thought. I remember that day and being at a game during their first season in the B1G.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Is this a joke? An athletic department and school that allowed the abuse of children to go on for years is bragging?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The more this guy posts the more I'm convince he's a troll.

Am I the only one?
Why? He's a B1G backer with at least a casual interest in UConn. He's not knocking us.

Reaction Score
Jerry Sandusky founded the second mile in 1977. Meaning 25 years of...

PedState.png

Reaction Score
when we get an invite, all you suckers are going to luv this shiat

Reaction Score
"UConn Marks 25 Years in the AAC"

"I'd say the drinking really started in earnest in 2016", remembers former UConn athletic direct Warde Manual...

and he should have bought the first round...

Reaction Score
Classy thread SMH. I'd expect as much on a Rutgers or Pitt Board, but UCONN?

Reaction Score
Why? He's a B1G backer with at least a casual interest in UConn. He's not knocking us.
He's posting B1G/ACC schedule for their annual hook-ups. Why?
He's posting a Penn State article. Why?
Who gives a rats a**?

Reaction Score
Classy thread SMH. I'd expect as much on a Rutgers or Pitt Board, but UCONN?
We'd be another natural rival.

This Ped State stuff is getting old, though. Penn State barely took a hit.

Reaction Score
Penn State to the B1G is what started conference realignment in the first place. Is that not relevant to a Conference Realignment forum?

If UConn goes P5, it will be to the B1G or ACC. Is posting matchups in the B1G-ACC Challenge not relevant to Conference Realignment, when many match ups were created from realignment?

If someone doesn't like my threads, they can simply not click on them.

Reaction Score
Penn State to the B1G is what started conference realignment in the first place. Is that not relevant to a Conference Realignment forum?

If UConn goes P5, it will be to the B1G or ACC. Is posting matchups in the B1G-ACC Challenge not relevant to Conference Realignment, when many match ups were created from realignment?

If someone doesn't like my threads, they can simply not click on them.
B1G/ACC Challenge means nothing here at this time as is viewed by some in a very negative light as you may have noticed.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Butch said:
We'd be another natural rival.

This Ped State stuff is getting old, though. Penn State barely took a hit.

The former Speaker of the House is about to get Sandusky'd. When do we start asking why no one reported him?

The answer is that it's a very serious allegation to make requiring serious evidence not just innuendo. It's also left up to the authorities. At the end of the day there was a predator on Penn State's campus who got away with it despite being investigated twice by law enforcement. I'm supposed to blame the school and jump on the torch carrying bandwagon? No, I consider myself a lot more reasoned than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom