Men - Penders signs five year extension. | The Boneyard

Men Penders signs five year extension.

Reaction Score
LMAO. We're family, I'll never leave. (of course, that requires you to pay me more every time I have a better offer.)

Not knocking Penders, who deserves whatever he gets, or the school in giving it it to him. Just reminding folks that when coaches open their mouths and speak, you can't assume that what they say reflects the truth.

Reaction Score
LMAO. We're family, I'll never leave. (of course, that requires you to pay me more every time I have a better offer.)

Not knocking Penders, who deserves whatever he gets, or the school in giving it it to him. Just reminding folks that when coaches open their mouths and speak, you can't assume that what they say reflects the truth.
You nailed it. If say a UNC or UVA dangled a mid-to-high six figure contract to Penders next summer (or the summer after, etc.), I'm pretty confident he would take it (unless UConn matched which of course they can't).

It's no secret that Jim is coaching at his top choice, but the lack of resources UConn has access to compared to P5 schools is a very real impediment to keeping any of our successful coaches long-term (sans basketball of course).

Just holding out hope that some of these programs that switched conferences (a la Maryland) are having buyer's remorse and long for the good ole days. That hopefully opens a spot for the Huskies in the P5.

Reaction Score
Not attacking anyone here just a difference of opinion. The closing argument / sentence above could apply to every defense attorney in every court room of the nation five days a week. ;)
It's no secret that Jim is coaching at his top choice, but the lack of resources UConn has access to compared to P5 schools is a very real impediment to keeping any of our successful coaches long-term (sans basketball of course).
Again no attack just conversation but is 19 years not long-term? The Penders family has a long history with UConn from Jim's father and uncles playing for the home state along with himself. Also an assistant under Andy for seven years before taking over.
I think four years of playing, seven as an assistant and 19 as the head coach shows a bit of loyalty. He did have a two year break after graduation to explore politics but came ........ home. :)

Reaction Score
Just happy he's staying. You will not find a more quality coach and person at UConn!!! Wishing that somehow we get into a real conference though.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

LOL, just because he has an outstanding multi generational history to the University of Connecticut doesn’t mean he has to work for less than his market value. Talking about his connection to the university is an inconsistent with wanting to earn what he is worth.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom