PC build - thoughts? | The Boneyard

PC build - thoughts?

Reaction Score
Built my current PC over 10 years ago, still running Windows XP and unfortunately it won't handle Win10 so I fear it's about time to upgrade. I'm not up to date on the latest, and am looking for recommendations (compatibility issues?) on the little research I've done. I use it mostly for surfing the net, very light (almost no) gaming, streaming 1080p content, spreadsheets, storing audio and video and pictures, and some light audio editing. Would like this build to last 10+ years.

must haves - low noise, easy to integrate, optical audio (S/PDIF) output, built in wifi, low noise, horizontal case (HTPC style to integrate with home audio components). And low noise!

I hate watching a movie and during silent parts hearing the CPU fans running. So I'm thinking integrated GPU, and SSD storage to minimize power and heat and noise and price.

Here are my thoughts: mini-atx build

mobo - ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G (WiFi 6) - $232 Amazon/Newegg
cpu - Intel core i3-10320 - $173 Newegg
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (2x32GB) - $283 Amazon
SSD - Corsair Force MP600 (2TB Gen 4 PCIe X4 NVMe M.2) - $380 Amazon
Case - Silverstone SST-GD09B-USA, - $94 Amazon

psu ??? - Don't think I need more than 240-300W since there is no GPU, no HDD, etc. I think mobo and CPU are under 200W. what do you recommend that is efficient and quiet?

I went with higher amounts of RAM and SSD so hopefully in 10 years its not obsolete. The motherboard was one of few I could find that had built in wifi, optical audio output, and M.2 SSD slots (one slot is 110mm, the other is 80mm, can I / should I use one slot as boot drive and other as storage?).

Sorry for the long post, please let me know what you think, and is everything compatible / efficient, thanks!

Reaction Score
I-5 minimum. At least 3ghz. Don’t scimp on power supply. 8gb memory might be enough, 16gb would be more than enough. 64 is way too much for what you’re doing.

10 years is multiple lifetimes for electronics. Don’t even try to plan that far ahead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger
Top Bottom