OT: PBS "Finding Your Roots" | The Boneyard

OT: PBS "Finding Your Roots"

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Last night's episode featured Billie Jean King, Derek Jeter and UConn's Rebecca Lobo. It included a couple of surprises in MS Lobo's ancestral tree.

LINK

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
This show is amazing! Billy Jean King, like a certain Senator from Massachusetts, believed she had Indian ancestry. Her DNA proved otherwise.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This show is amazing! Billy Jean King, like a certain Senator from Massachusetts, believed she had Indian ancestry. Her DNA proved otherwise.
hmmmm, I always thought Billie Jean was related to Billy Jack.

Reaction Score
Last night's episode featured Billie Jean King, Derek Jeter and UConn's Rebecca Lobo. It included a couple of surprises in MS Lobo's ancestral tree.

LINK
I found my ROOTS. Back to 1655 Triois Rivers PQ New France---Etienne Jilleneau--came to New France as a Catholic (because Catholics only were allowed to emigrate(?)) but he really was a Jew. His line became Gelinas and Bellemare--so we are all part Jewish. Who da thunk it?? My Many times great came to New France in 1665 as a Fil Du Roi (with money)
3500 white people in New France 100,000 in North America. Who da thunk it???

Reaction Score
I love that show, and loved that episode. So now I know that Derek Jeter's light eyes go way back, as does Rebecca's height. I wish they'd spend more time on each individual--some of the process of searching just whizzed by, and to me that's as interesting as the findings.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I found my ROOTS. Back to 1655 Triois Rivers PQ New France---Etienne Jilleneau--came to New France as a Catholic (because Catholics only were allowed to emigrate(?)) but he really was a Jew. His line became Gelinas and Bellemare--so we are all part Jewish. Who da thunk it?? My Many times great came to New France in 1665 as a Fil Du Roi (with money)
3500 white people in New France 100,000 in North America. Who da thunk it???

France had a difficult time colonizing North America. The Fil du Roi were an effort to encourage more emigration. Your comment about non Catholics is interesting. I had not heard that before.

Many of the 700+ Fil du Roi came to New France with a dowry. Which one are you descended from? Etienne was married (2nd) to Marie Beauregard in the Notre Dame cathedral in Quebec. The registry entry indicates that he is the widower of Huguette Robert.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Good episode (just watched)... and had good stories but Jeter's was amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads