OT - Paul to Clippers | The Boneyard

OT - Paul to Clippers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Surprised that they gave up Gordon... Stern gets what he wants I guess. Don't know why they'd want to give up so much without a contract extension.

Reaction Score
Very good haul for NO, they get the best SG under 25 in the league imo, Minny's pick which will likely be top #5, and they ensured that they didn't get too much talent back so that they will probably be a top #5 pick as well. The conspiracy theorists are going to really be out if NO winds up getting the #1 pick with either of those. I wonder if Stern will present himself with the Executive of the Year award at the end of the season?

Reaction Score
what makes it even funnier is that Minn pick is a result of trading for this guy

i3WWRDkG7m1pq.gif

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Very good haul for NO, they get the best SG under 25 in the league imo, Minny's pick which will likely be top #5, and they ensured that they didn't get too much talent back so that they will probably be a top #5 pick as well. The conspiracy theorists are going to really be out if NO winds up getting the #1 pick with either of those. I wonder if Stern will present himself with the Executive of the Year award at the end of the season?

He won't wait that long.

Reaction Score
Clippers just got very watchable for me... Chris Paul, Blake Griffin and Caron Butler

Reaction Score
Surprised that they gave up Gordon... Stern gets what he wants I guess. Don't know why they'd want to give up so much without a contract extension.
Uh, any Clippers deal for Paul starts with Gordon. That was pretty obvious.

Reaction Score
New Orleans made out great. Eric Gordon, Aminu, and Kaman to go along with two lottery picks (most likely) in a loaded draft class.

It's a decent trade for the Clippers, because although they gave up a lot, they are getting Chris f'in Paul. If he stays healthy he's a top five player in the NBA imo. But...I would have continued to build around Gordon and Griffin, kept Minny's pick, and made a run with a core of Billups, Bulter, Gordon, Griffin, and Kaman. That's enough to make the playoffs.

Just imagine if the Clips hadn't been stupid enough to leave their 2010 pick unprotected. They could have drafted Kyrie Irving or Derrick Williams and then shipped one of those two off to New Orleans while keeping Eric Gordon.

Reaction Score
Pretty obvious except for the previous reasonable deal that didn't involve shipping Gordon.

Reaction Score
Could you refresh my memory and tell me is Emeka still with N.O. I believe he is and would be part of a young building team not so bad.

Reaction Score
Chris Paul happy? Because that's all we care about right? I mean the Clippers - yes...The Celtics - NO............he's a joke!! The league is also!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
any team that has Butler on it is going to have most, if not all, UCONN fans rooting for it. LAC has been a joke for so long tho. it would be fun to see them surpass the Lakers as the best team in LA.

Reaction Score
Pretty obvious except for the previous reasonable deal that didn't involve shipping Gordon.
If it was so reasonable, why didn't New Orleans accept it?

There was a 0% chance of this thing ever getting done without Gordon (unless, or course, Griffin was involved...).

Reaction Score

There was a 0% chance of this thing ever getting done without Gordon (unless, or course, Griffin was involved...).

I am not 100% sure but I also think you are wrong on this one. Stern was the person who rejected the trade which excluded Gordon.

I read somewhere that the Clippers saved $40 mil. by trading the unprotected first pick along with Baron ( I think Simmons wrote this). I don't think Kyrie is all that so not a bad move IMO.

Reaction Score
Gordon is 96% as good as CP3, and a much safer long term investment due to knee issues. Clips made a bad deal.

Reaction Score

Do you really believe that any deal that gets rejected is unreasonable?

Reaction Score
I am not 100% sure but I also think you are wrong on this one. Stern was the person who rejected the trade which excluded Gordon.

I read somewhere that the Clippers saved $40 mil. by trading the unprotected first pick along with Baron ( I think Simmons wrote this). I don't think Kyrie is all that so not a bad move IMO.

If Wojnaroswki of Yahoo is to be believed, Stern & his goons=New Orleans. Demps apparently wasn't involved in any of the trade discussions with the Clippers, he was pushed aside after the botched Lakers deal.

Reaction Score
Gordon is 96% as good as CP3, and a much safer long term investment due to knee issues. Clips made a bad deal.

CP3 is a top 5 player in the league, Gordon is top 5 at a relatively weak position in the league, Gordon is nowhere near close to being 96% of Paul. I somewhat agree about your 2nd point because if CP3 does have a bone on bone condition like what's been reported, that definitely isn't good for longterm.

Reaction Score
the main thing that you need to take into account is that the clippers were bidding against themselves. and for some inexplicable reason, they caved in and added more to the deal. they should have held strong and refused to include Gordon, who is SEVERELY underrated and will be a top 3 sg for years to come.

giving up that much for potentially only 2 years of cp3 makes it a bad deal. and when the clips make the playoffs their first round pick goes to Boston, so add that in as well.

the funny thing is if the clips hadn't given up what became the #1 overall pick just to offload Baron Davis' contract (which could have been amnestied) they could have taken Irving or Williams and added them to the trade instead of Gordon.

watch the timberwolves pick become #1 overall. i'm sure stern will make sure that ping pong ball comes up first.

Reaction Score
Chris Paul happy? Because that's all we care about right? I mean the Clippers - yes...The Celtics - NO............he's a joke!! The league is also!
Welcome to spectator sports.

Reaction Score
If Wojnaroswki of Yahoo is to be believed, Stern & his goons=New Orleans. Demps apparently wasn't involved in any of the trade discussions with the Clippers, he was pushed aside after the botched Lakers deal.
Have to maximize the value of the franchise.

Reaction Score
I feel like the TWolves will actually be decent this year, possibly even making the playoffs. So I wouldn't go ahead and assume that their pick is gonna be #1 overall (or even a lottery pick) just yet.

This may be helped by their division being really weak right now. All of the other teams arguably got weaker (except for the Thunder).
  • The Nuggets lost 3 important players during the lockout to Chinese teams (Wilson Chandler, JR Smith and Kenyon Martin). And AFAIK, none of them have an opt-out clause, so they're not rejoining the team this season.
  • The TrailBlazers lost Roy to retirement, has Oden still suffering knee issues, and Aldridge had recent surgery to correct a heart condition.
  • Still need to see what a Sloan-less Jazz team can do without his giant hands clearing the way. They struggled after he resigned.
Plus, I think Adelman will be able to get the TWolves to play much better than the 17 wins they got last year. And they have the addition of two rookies with good potential in Rubio and Derrick Williams. I actually think Rubio has a chance to be this year's ROY. His style of play will succeed in Adelman's system. Yeah, he struggled in Europe last year, but if you watched his game the past few years, he'd try stuff he normally wouldn't do and get really fancy. Then against Team USA, he actually did well versus the likes of Derrick Rose and Steph Curry. Oh, and they still have Kevin Love.

Edit: I also forget to mention that they hand check like CRAZY in Europe. Rubio should have a field day with the NBA's no-hand-check policy. Although, conversely, he'll likely have issues with defense at first, until he realizes it's about positioning and not all physical. Also, they play with an incredibly slow place in Europe, and the rims are all unforgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom