Paul Doyle Article in Courant on Diaco | The Boneyard

Paul Doyle Article in Courant on Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Farrell is such a dope. This quote couldn't be farther from the truth. Difference makers will take things up a notch but ...well read for yourself.

Think Rutgers as you read.

"Really, you win with recruiting. You have to have good coaches, but good coaches only win with great players. ... No matter how good of a coach you are, you have to have the difference makers or you're not going to win."

Reaction Score
Farrell is such a dope. This quote couldn't be farther from the truth. Difference makers will take things up a notch but ...well read for yourself.

Think Rutgers as you read.
"Really, you win with recruiting. You have to have good coaches, but good coaches only win with great players. ... No matter how good of a coach you are, you have to have the difference makers or you're not going to win."
I'm no fan of Meatball either, but that quote was Lemming's, not Farrell.
Farrell said:
"But the big question is, is he ready to take over a program that has a lot of disadvantages, coming off a rough season, being in a conference that people don't seem to care about much?" said Connecticut-based Mike Farrell, national recruiting director for Rivals.com. "That's going to be his biggest challenge, making UConn relevant again."

Farrell, for one, said Diaco was a wise hire. Diaco, 40, is known as an aggressive recruiter with strong ties throughout the Northeast and particularly in talent-rich New Jersey, his home state. He's also known as loquacious and charming, just the kind of personality needed to promote the program to fans.

"He's a fiery guy," Farrell said. "Just a guy who will get kids fired up about coming to the program. So I think from a recruiting standpoint — especially because he does have Jersey ties, he does recruit Jersey very well — he'll be good for UConn.

"If I'm a UConn fan, I'm glad they're going in this direction. In this day and age, you need a guy who's just going to never sleep and have that energy to build the program and be heavily, heavily involved in recruiting. Bob Diaco can do that."

Reaction Score
I'm no fan of Meatball either, but that quote was Lemming's, not Farrell.
Farrell said:
"But the big question is, is he ready to take over a program that has a lot of disadvantages, coming off a rough season, being in a conference that people don't seem to care about much?" said Connecticut-based Mike Farrell, national recruiting director for . "That's going to be his biggest challenge, making UConn relevant again."

Farrell, for one, said Diaco was a wise hire. Diaco, 40, is known as an aggressive recruiter with strong ties throughout the Northeast and particularly in talent-rich New Jersey, his home state. He's also known as loquacious and charming, just the kind of personality needed to promote the program to fans.

"He's a fiery guy," Farrell said. "Just a guy who will get kids fired up about coming to the program. So I think from a recruiting standpoint — especially because he does have Jersey ties, he does recruit Jersey very well — he'll be good for UConn.

"If I'm a UConn fan, I'm glad they're going in this direction. In this day and age, you need a guy who's just going to never sleep and have that energy to build the program and be heavily, heavily involved in recruiting. Bob Diaco can do that."

I'm pretty good lately as posting wrong info. Thanks for pointing it out in a reasonable way.

Farrell is still a dope. I'm surprised Lemming would make such a dumb comment.

Reaction Score
"UConn has the potential to be really good," said Tom Lemming, a national college football recruiting expert for CBS Sports Network. "The facilities, the school's [academic] reputation, everything is there."

This place is ready to explode on the scene. With the right coach, hopefully Diaco, The Rent is going to be something to behold if were ranked and chasing a double digit win season, late in the season.

Reaction Score
"UConn has the potential to be really good," said Tom Lemming, a national college football recruiting expert for CBS Sports Network. "The facilities, the school's [academic] reputation, everything is there."

This place is ready to explode on the scene. With the right coach, hopefully Diaco, The Rent is going to be something to behold if were ranked and chasing a double digit win season, late in the season.

I wonder why Doyle inserted "academic" into that quote. I'm curious what the context was because the school has more than just a solid academic reputation. We have a few national championships in other sports, and I think Doyle knows that.

Reaction Score
Someone page Larry McHugh back from outer space: "We were really just a few plays away from a winning record this year," McHugh said. And talking about the crowds at Yale Bowl in the 1920's, 30's and 40's is just so relevant to 2013.

That being said, hoping to be part of a new generation of UCFB fans!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom