OT: Pats-Jets sham. | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Pats-Jets sham.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Zolak is a big homer, sure, he played for the team. He doesn't have anything on his resume that even compares to any of Sterling's more colorful home run calls or "thaaaaaaa-aaaaa Yankees win!", and nothing in the same stratosphere as ol Suzie's emotional breakdown when Clemens came back.

Still though, why are you detracting from the original point? Stop trying to feign outrage at a local commentator being a homer for the team he works for, especially when one of your teams employs 2 of the foremost authorities on shameless homerism. You're used to this.

Then again, and I say this as a Celtics fan, we have Tommy Heinsohn.

Reaction Score
Don't drag our beloved coach through the mud in an attempt to protect your precious Patriots. Calhoun =/= Belichick
I love Calhoun as much, if not more than, anyone on this board. But you can't selectively call one team/coach cheaters and look the other way when your Coach/team has been called/penalized as a cheater. This is not even CLOSE to being a false equivalency. It is, in fact, FACT. To say anything otherwise only proves that anyone making that argument just hates the Patriots. Which is completely fine to those of us that love the Patriots. But don't get all defensive when Syracuse, Providence, other fans accuse UConn of having cheated. That is an undeniable FACT. Am I happy about it? Of course not. But it is what it is. Just stop throwing stones, because you live in a glass house.......not sure why you and others, especially AW, can't see that.

Reaction Score
I love Calhoun as much, if not more than, anyone on this board. But you can't selectively call one team/coach cheaters and look the other way when your Coach/team has been called/penalized as a cheater. This is not even CLOSE to being a false equivalency. It is, in fact, FACT. To say anything otherwise only proves that anyone making that argument just hates the Patriots. Which is completely fine to those of us that love the Patriots. But don't get all defensive when Syracuse, Providence, other fans accuse UConn of having cheated. That is an undeniable FACT. Am I happy about it? Of course not. But it is what it is. Just stop throwing stones, because you live in a glass house..not sure why you and others, especially AW, can't see that.

I don't look the other way.
I don't get defensive when fans accuse UConn of cheating.
I don't throw stones at other schools who have cheated.

That all being said, don't get so upset that the Patriots are cheaters.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I love Calhoun as much, if not more than, anyone on this board. But you can't selectively call one team/coach cheaters and look the other way when your Coach/team has been called/penalized as a cheater. This is not even CLOSE to being a false equivalency. It is, in fact, FACT. To say anything otherwise only proves that anyone making that argument just hates the Patriots. Which is completely fine to those of us that love the Patriots. But don't get all defensive when Syracuse, Providence, other fans accuse UConn of having cheated. That is an undeniable FACT. Am I happy about it? Of course not. But it is what it is. Just stop throwing stones, because you live in a glass house..not sure why you and others, especially AW, can't see that.

Pats fan: " We can cheat because Jim Calhoun cheats"

Thats a really sane, popular opinion to put forth on a UConn basketball board. And it shows the depths that *some* (notice I didnt say "all" because some actual sane pats fans showed up in this thread, much to most our pleasant surprises) will slink to to bury their heads in the sand about a team that has asterisks next to championships and their Hall of Fame caliber QB's accomplishments.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Maybe the Jets should try it. Nothing else seems to be working.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I personally challenge anyone who reads this to say something about the Jets that actually cuts through the callouses built over 43 years of following them. I can say for certain, your post did not.

I honestly just feel bad for you.

I'm sorry.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

What does Calhoun have to do with the Patriots? Straw man, not a false equivalency. I'll throw stones where ever and whenever I want.

August_West

Reaction Score
namath-no1.jpg

Reaction Score
Maybe old threads get deleted or I was looking in the wrong forum, but I couldn't locate the multi-page thread complaining about this rule and how horrible it was when this happened to Jets last year:

Spencer Ware's would-be touchdown turns into touchback

There's the rule (which is overly punitive), and there is the massive failure to interpret that rule and the standard for overturning a call on replay. The call last weekend had the second element.

Good try though.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The pity angle doesn't work either. Bounces right off. Try again.

OK, buddy.

Try taking a joke every now and then. Not everybody's out to cut through your callouses.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This is ridiculous. Ask yourself how did I include Jm Calhoun and UConn in a thread which is all Patriots? Wow, hilarious overreaction. But A1 effort on your passion for Tommy and the team.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

At least throw him a bone. When it comes to cheating, the Patriots are the very best.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There's the rule (which is overly punitive), and there is the massive failure to interpret that rule and the standard for overturning a call on replay. The call last weekend had the second element.

Good try though.
I don't think the rule itself is overly punitive. It was in this instance, but only because the player was in the corner of the field and could not regain possession before "scoring." If the fumble had happened at any other point on the field, Jets maintain possession at the spot the ball went out of bounds.

What's interesting is that if the original ruling had not been a touchdown, a review would have never happened, but since all scoring plays and turnovers are reviewed, all parts of the play are subject to review and it opened a whole new can of worms than merely did the ball cross the goal line. Given, I have a Patriots bias, but a fumble clearly happened. I also think the correct call was made by the letter of the rule, except that Jets should have gotten the ball somewhere inside the 1. If I were a ref, I'd feel comfortable in saying that it was not clear the ball was through the endzone before it went out of bounds. Given the condition of the Pats' Defense this year, if the Jets couldn't punch it in at that point, they didn't deserve to score.

The Patriots were on the short end of this call in the 2005 playoffs in Denver.

August_West

Reaction Score
As famous New York Jet John Riggins told Sandra Day O'Connor, loosen up baby.

Seriously, though.

I saw riggins play a bunch in shea as a kid. Namath too

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom