Patriots Trade Jamie Collins | The Boneyard

Patriots Trade Jamie Collins

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Patriots trade Collins to Browns. Very surprising move in my opinion. Even though he was likely to be unaffordable, he's arguably the best player on the defensive side of the ball for the Pats. Of course, this was pre-ordained when I got a Jamie Collins jersey for Christmas last year. Top level defensive players always get shipped away by the Pats.

Why would the Browns do this? He won't re-sign there. I suppose they can franchise him.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
The Browns can afford the franchise tag, they have the cap space and need. Collins wanted "Von Miller money" and Belichick has other players to pay and a different opinion how to cut the pie.

It is interesting that the Patriots want the draft pick next year, and were unwilling to wait for the same position in the 2018 draft.

Reaction Score
My guess is Belichick didn't appreciate his work ethic.

Reaction Score
Jamie Collins is a stud in that defense. Super versatile in what he could do. I guess his contract status was becoming a distraction and the Pats don't do disruptions.

Big loss,to the team.

Reaction Score
Could have been also used as a bargaining chip to keep Joe Thomas from being sent to the Seahawks. It is what it is. There were reports his work ethic was not on par with what Belichick expects. Yes, contract would be a distraction. Patriots present culture doesn't allow for Von Miller types to exude their demands.

Reaction Score
I'm disappointed to see Collins go. He had the talent and athleticism to do pretty much everything well: play the run, rush the passer, and cover. He would miss a game here and there, but it was never seemed liked a nagging injury or something that slowed him long term. As for why he was traded, I don't really know. We'll see how this works out.

I'm not crazy about what the Patriots got in return, but someone on 1080 raised an interesting question: Where were the other teams besides Cleveland trying to get Collins? From what I read from Giants fans on here, linebacker has been a need for the team for a while. Why not offer their #3 for Collins? That's a better deal than a compensatory 3rd round pick.

There are other factors to consider that would rule some teams out (salary cap implications, Collins becoming a free agent at the end of the year, scheme, existing talent at that position, and New England not wanting to strengthen a team they may see in the playoffs to name a few), but some teams besides the Browns had to be interested.

Reaction Score
Patriots trade Collins to Browns. Very surprising move in my opinion. Even though he was likely to be unaffordable, he's arguably the best player on the defensive side of the ball for the Pats. Of course, this was pre-ordained when I got a Jamie Collins jersey for Christmas last year. Top level defensive players always get shipped away by the Pats.

Why would the Browns do this? He won't re-sign there. I suppose they can franchise him.
The compensatory 3rd rounder is if Collins signs elsewhere (the same picks the Pats would have gotten if he signed elsewhere) so they can franchise him and give up a 4th rounder. The real question is why the heck did the Patriots do it? Makes zero sense.

Reaction Score
I'm disappointed to see Collins go. He had the talent and athleticism to do pretty much everything well: play the run, rush the passer, and cover. He would miss a game here and there, but it was never seemed liked a nagging injury or something that slowed him long term. As for why he was traded, I don't really know. We'll see how this works out.

I'm not crazy about what the Patriots got in return, but someone on 1080 raised an interesting question: Where were the other teams besides Cleveland trying to get Collins? From what I read from Giants fans on here, linebacker has been a need for the team for a while. Why not offer their #3 for Collins? That's a better deal than a compensatory 3rd round pick.

There are other factors to consider that would rule some teams out (salary cap implications, Collins becoming a free agent at the end of the year, scheme, existing talent at that position, and New England not wanting to strengthen a team they may see in the playoffs to name a few), but some teams besides the Browns had to be interested.
Collins is a 3-4 OLB, Giants play a 4-3. They have shown that they do not invest in players outside their schemes. Also Cassilias has played really well and Kennard is someone they like so no reason to trade a 3rd rounder to replace on them esp when Collins is not a natural 4-3 LB and is in the final year of his deal.

As a Giants fan I would have been furious if they gave up a 3rd rounder for a rental, Collins is not going to the player who gets them over the hump.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Collins is a 3-4 OLB, Giants play a 4-3. They have shown that they do not invest in players outside their schemes. Also Cassilias has played really well and Kennard is someone they like so no reason to trade a 3rd rounder to replace on them esp when Collins is not a natural 4-3 LB and is in the final year of his deal.

As a Giants fan I would have been furious if they gave up a 3rd rounder for a rental, Collins is not going to the player who gets them over the hump.

Pats have been playing mostly 4-3 for several years now. So I don't think he's just a 3-4 OLB.

As for why, it seems that there were performance and perhaps personal issues. But good luck getting more than that from BB. The Pats do get the 3rd round compensatory pick in 2017 rather than 2018.

Reaction Score
He will get a contract from someone because he can play and he will disappoint. Just one of those guys, still he must have done something to piss Bill off because he was too good to give up now. Then again the Browns 3rd rounder will be a good pick.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom