Patriots are bad for the NFL! | The Boneyard

Patriots are bad for the NFL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So recently I was speaking with a young (30s) female former basketball player. I mentioned that I once coached Varsity girls ball. She asked what college team I liked. I blurted out with pride UCONN! Her reaction was "yuck, I'm tired of them winning" "just like I'm tired of the Patriots also"
When did winning become a bad thing?

Reaction Score
So recently I was speaking with a young (30s) female former basketball player. I mentioned that I once coached Varsity girls ball. She asked what college team I liked. I blurted out with pride UCONN! Her reaction was "yuck, I'm tired of them winning" "just like I'm tired of the Patriots also"
It's only not a bad thing if you are a fan of the team that is constantly winning. To the fans of other teams it is a very very bad thing. And there are far more of them then there are Ucnn. Fans.

Reaction Score
i have been a Fan of UALR, the Sooners, UVa, JMU and always the Huskies (women)--those 4 are at different levels of the ladder of success. Winning and losing means different things to their fans--a winning season for JMU, UALR and UVA (in recent years) is getting into the first rounds of the NCAA---the Sooners it would be the Elite 8 or FF--with Uconn fans it's FF or NC . So if you are a REAL fan of the GAME or the team---your expectations are not all about beating *UConn or winning the NC. As Geno called Uconn--When the Circus is in town--it's great for Women's Basketball.

Reaction Score
The great (maybe the last great) NY Times sports columnist Red Smith once wrote in defense of the Yankees of his day. He asked: what's wrong in rejoicing over perfection? Why do we not celebrate organizations that get it right far more often than others?

We can perhaps draw a distinction between respecting/admiring and rooting. I can certainly root for the underdog, but I have to respect/admire an organization that gets it right far more often than do the others. People who root against them for no other reason than because they seem to win a lot aren't bothering to appreciate the difficulties of what the task requires; they aren't true fans but are only casual spectators, focusing merely on their own emotional response to the outcome.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Except the Patriots can't win when it counts lately... They are more like Notre Dame. Get so close to the to trophy just to be let down ;) They won once in the last ten years... Notre Dame has won once in the last 15 years ;)

Reaction Score
Except the Patriots can't win when it counts lately... They are more like Notre Dame. Get so close to the to trophy just to be let down ;) They won once in the last ten years... Notre Dame has won once in the last 15 years ;)
oh please. NFL, in both draft positioning and scheduling, is based on reducing the top teams in order "to promote competition" (aka mediocrity). No other sport punishes excellence. Patriots have by far the best winning percentage since 2001; that there were two absurdly brilliant/lucky catches was the difference in 2 superbowls.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't hear sports writers complaining about Alabama being bad for NCAA college football. Some men just don't like to see women excel.

Reaction Score
Who can be tired of winning? [ ] I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I never get tired of winning, especially if it's by 40.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog