OT: Patio Heaters | The Boneyard

OT: Patio Heaters

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I am looking to buy a patio heater. I would like buy one in the $200-300 dollar range. Suggestions?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have not shopped for them but from what I've heard from a few different people looking for them for various reasons, they are very hard to come by right now because so many restaurants have purchased them and manufacturing of new ones has been slowed by the pandemic.

I think we are going to see this with lots of products for the next year or so, along with increased prices and much less supply.

Reaction Score
Back ordered and expensive. Every restaurant in the country is buying them up.

Reaction Score
I was slow to order a hot tub in spring, so I tried to think what else we could want for extended outdoor entertainment. When I decided to get a couple patio heaters a month+ ago they were already starting to disappear from the usual places (Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon).

I noticed that Fire Sense seemed to get really good reviews and were reasonably priced. Whereas other brands were more hit or miss. They were all sold out (and still are I think) from the usual places. I was waiting for one to get restocked on Amazon for an okay price when I found them at PC Richard on line. Not only were they available, but they were cheaper than I had seen anywhere else ($139 each). I bought two. They were relatively easy to put together (first one took about 45 minutes, second took less than 30 minutes). They look high quality and work great so far. They're the mushroom style mentioned by @RichCTBB below. I agree with him and Shaky that the pyramid ones look cool, but don't give off much heat.

Unfortunately, I looked for another friend and they are gone from PC Richard and it seems like most places are price gouging. I'd recommend checking the big box websites regularly and jump on them if restocked at a fair price. Also do a random "shopping" search to see if some unexpected store gets a shipment (that's where I found the PC Richard supply). Since writing this, I saw some on West Elm for $200+.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I was at Costco yesterday here in California, and they had plenty. Which means they might be available from them online.

I will add that the ones that are shaped like a pyramid don't put out much heat. And they are more expensive. Standard heaters work better and are cheaper.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
1601493281438.png

Reaction Score
I’m in the restaurant business and have seen and used may kinds. Mushroom style heaters are the best. The pyramid shaped ones with the glass tube in the center are merely visual attractions and don’t radiate heat to a desirable area.

Reaction Score
I picked up 2 of the stand up units last week at sam’s club. Not available for delivery and had to be picked up at the store but only $150 for what appear to be halfway decent units.

Attachments

• FF7A5A82-22F0-4581-BFDC-DE1F45DCCA6F.jpeg
    FF7A5A82-22F0-4581-BFDC-DE1F45DCCA6F.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 176
Reaction Score
All the Costco where I live are out already. Should have not waited so long...

Reaction Score
Or this one.

Attachments

• 3FE1C142-05E0-4129-9DFD-33A16BCF9C71.jpeg
    3FE1C142-05E0-4129-9DFD-33A16BCF9C71.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 161
Reaction Score
I’m in the restaurant business and have seen and used may kinds. Mushroom style heaters are the best. The pyramid shaped ones with the glass tube in the center are merely visual attractions and don’t radiate heat to a desirable area.
Was just about to post this.

I have 2 of the mushroom ones on my deck next to my seating and in the middle of winter with zero degree weather I can put both on and smoke a cigar with shorts and t shirt

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Was just about to post this.

I have 2 of the mushroom ones on my deck next to my seating and in the middle of winter with zero degree weather I can put both on and smoke a cigar with shorts and t shirt
Any particular mushroom style ones that are a decent value?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Has anybody tried one of these? Or similar alternatives? Most portable fire pits are crap. I need one I can keep in the shed, non permanent.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Has anybody tried one of these? Or similar alternatives? Most portable fire pits are crap. I need one I can keep in the shed, non permanent.

Yes, I got one a few months ago. We've discussed here a few times. I love it:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

It just seems a little small, but I do think about it based upon your enthusiastic endorsement.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It just seems a little small, but I do think about it based upon your enthusiastic endorsement.
They make a larger one, the "Y-u-k-o-n," but that would have been too big for our purposes. The upside of that one is that more larger logs would fit with ease; the downside for us is less portability and taking up more space on a deck that is large but not huge, and often filled with a fair amount of people and dogs when in use.

Site will not let me link it because the stupid filter here automatically changes it to "UConn."

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Thanks for that link. Like @CL82 I wondered if my self split logs would fit in the 21" model but don't want something huge. It is nice to read that you use it on a deck, I wanted something that I can use on my patio or deck and not worry about damage (unlike a conventional fire pit). This may be the best answer.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks for that link. Like @CL82 I wondered if my self split logs would fit in the 21" model but don't want something huge. It is nice to read that you use it on a deck, I wanted something that I can use on my patio or deck and not worry about damage (unlike a conventional fire pit). This may be the best answer.
One update is that I decided to start using a fireproof mat, not for the pit, but to place the screen and the poker while in use and I am loading logs or stirring the fire. This way I don't have to worry about where I place them on my deck, as the hot screen was leaving small melt marks in certain places, and the charred poker was leaving some stains. My mother in law had a fireproof mat she wasn't using so I grabbed hers.

Reaction Score
I just bought one of these since my deck is screened in and I couldn’t find any tabletop mushroom style heaters. I’m waiting on the plug for the blower (it’s battery or AC). I fired it up last night and it threw off pretty good heat without the fan. Cabelas has the reconditioned ones for $79.

Big Buddy Heater

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
All patio heaters are sold out in Chicago area. I looked at my brothers Home Depot in Davie FL sold out down there also. The heaters are abundantly available on ebay for $100+over list. I'm going to keep searching but I'm guessing I'll end up paying up on Ebay.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I have not shopped for them but from what I've heard from a few different people looking for them for various reasons, they are very hard to come by right now because so many restaurants have purchased them and manufacturing of new ones has been slowed by the pandemic.

I think we are going to see this with lots of products for the next year or so, along with increased prices and much less supply.
My son in Westchester bought one recently. Depending on patio size it might need more than one. He got it at Costco, don’t know the brand.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

It really is going to be very interesting to see how much this shapes the country and the world, long term. Will the outdoor spaces cities have carved out to help restaurants survive continue? Will streets in some areas remain pedestrian only, blocked off to allow tables and perhaps live music?

Work from home is here to stay. Not for everyone, but for millions more than ever before. How does that impact housing? Commuting? Mass transit? We've seen lots of changes already. What's next?

Cinemaworld just announced it may shut down all its U.S. and UK cinemas as movie releases continue to be delayed. What does the future model look like? Direct to home cuts the revenue tremendously. Can they fund big budget movies in that model? Highly paid star actors and actresses? The same for sports. Without fans, athlete pay has to fall.

Reaction Score

My next door neighbor has one and it works pretty well. The key with every fire based heater is to start a fire well before you actually need it. Once you have embers and real heat, the smoke goes up quickly and is barely noticeable. Fires are smoky and smelly when you first light them. Not much you can do to avoid that.

As far as size, get the biggest possible one you can. The one I saw was too small.

I have a Mirage fireplace and I get it super hot. I love it. I've had to take it down and put it back up twice and it works like a charm.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom