Paterno thinks he has the right | The Boneyard

Paterno thinks he has the right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
to finish out the season. Are you freaking kidding me, Penn State officials and Paterno have showed themselves to be cowards and bad human beings for the last decade, it looks like they want to go out that way too. I am so disgusted and angry. Will never watch another Penn State game again, what the hell is wrong with these people? They continue to not give a care to the victims, what a slap in the face.

Reaction Score
to finish out the season. Are you freaking kidding me, Penn State officials and Paterno have showed themselves to be cowards and bad human beings for the last decade, it looks like they want to go out that way too. I am so disgusted and angry. Will never watch another Penn State game again, what the hell is wrong with these people? They continue to not give a care to the victims, what a slap in the face.

Agree superjohn. This is beyond pitiful for that university and he has put himself in front of the other families as the most important piece of this horrible story. First to hide the truth from the authorities and now just laugh at everyone involved and stay on as HC is a total joke and the people who run this circus need to be alll fired! Penn State is now the joke of the country and there's no way out thanks to Joe PA.....

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
His statements show just how big his ego is. Who does he think he is telling the BOT what they should and shouldn't be spending time on.

And his little student press conference last night...."We need to pray for the victims or whatever they want to say...." Seriously? That is what he thinks of them?

Reaction Score
The fact that Paterno allowed Sandusky to continue to use University Facilities is enough that he should be fired immediately and not allowed to continue representing the University.

Reaction Score
I don't know if I'm more offended at Paterno and his superiors' disregard for the protection of children, or the idiotic students appluading him and his lack of regard for the protection of children as he returned home from practice.

Reaction Score
The fact that Paterno allowed Sandusky to continue to use University Facilities is enough that he should be fired immediately and not allowed to continue representing the University.

Without a doubt, Paterno doesn't understand the gravity of the situation. He said, "Beat Nebraska!" last night. He just doesn't get it. The fact that Spanier is out but Paterno stays on like this shows you how big Paterno was at PSU, and that hasn't changed. He's a cancer to the school right now.

The university facilities thing is not a Paterno idea. Sandusky got that for retiring back in 1999. It's not up to Paterno to ban him, UNLESS he told the authorities what he knew. And IF he had done that, this wouldn't even be a story today. So the facility thing is out of his hands. It's likely a contractual privilege afforded on retirement, and if no one challenges you morals/ethics (also part of the contract) it's not like another employee (even administration) can arbitrarily remove your privileges. They can't.

Reaction Score
Emergency BofT meeting tonight. If they don't can both Paterno and Spanier immediately, then I will be totally disappointed.

If PSU has any integrity, Paterno will not be in a press box on Saturday. But then again, football trumps all, apparently.

S

storrsbred1

The PSU BOT has two former football captains and a former football team manager on it. I don't know how many total on the BOT, but it will sure be interesting to see if there is a continued whitewash.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Paterno thinks he has the right to finish out the season.

Well why wouldn't he? After hearing for years that "he has earned the right to leave on his own terms", he's only taking folks at their word. But the fact is no coach has any such right.

Reaction Score
Without a doubt, Paterno doesn't understand the gravity of the situation. He said, "Beat Nebraska!" last night. He just doesn't get it. The fact that Spanier is out but Paterno stays on like this shows you how big Paterno was at PSU, and that hasn't changed. He's a cancer to the school right now.

The university facilities thing is not a Paterno idea. Sandusky got that for retiring back in 1999. It's not up to Paterno to ban him, UNLESS he told the authorities what he knew. And IF he had done that, this wouldn't even be a story today. So the facility thing is out of his hands. It's likely a contractual privilege afforded on retirement, and if no one challenges you morals/ethics (also part of the contract) it's not like another employee (even administration) can arbitrarily remove your privileges. They can't.

HE DIDN'T RETIRE... HE WAS CAUGHT!!! I don't give a if the facilities thing was George Washington's idea!!! The original premise was to reward loyal and upstanding faculty for a lifetime of service ... not give pedophiles a safe haven to sodomize 10 yr old boys!!! Paterno's decisions directly tortured young boys !!! And by acting appropriately he could have spared a few of them!!!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

Joe knows they are playing Nebraska next? I'm impressed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Paterno's decisions directly tortured young boys !!! And by acting appropriately he could have spared a few of them!!!

And what makes it worse is that he did what he did to save his job.

Reaction Score
HE DIDN'T RETIRE... HE WAS CAUGHT!!! I don't give a if the facilities thing was George Washington's idea!!! The original premise was to reward loyal and upstanding faculty for a lifetime of service ... not give pedophiles a safe haven to sodomize 10 yr old boys!!! Paterno's decisions directly tortured young boys !!! And by acting appropriately he could have spared a few of them!!!

Sigh. How many times will I have to explain this? Paterno DIDN'T act appropriately. That's the whole premise.

Reaction Score
And what makes it worse is that he did what he did to save his job.

Huh? You think Joe would have been fired if he had alerted the police to Sandusky?

Reaction Score
Sigh. How many times will I have to explain this? Paterno DIDN'T act appropriately. That's the whole premise.

If he did ... we wouldn't need to debate retirment benfits rewarded to Penn State faculty ...

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
If Joe is guilty of anything he'll be arrested,

He was told something about an ex-employee and forwarded the information on to the AD who ultimately is the decision maker to investigate and report.

More heat should be put on Mike McQueary, He's the guy who saw what went down and was 28 at the time. That's adulthood.

A brutal Penn State fans perspective on McQueary

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ycn-10399373

FWIW--Timely Reporting is the answer to all these scandals. I don't have any respect for people coming out of the woodwork years later. A young victim who waits until adulthood? Yes. A different story. McQuery was the only real witness and had a moral duty to follow up.

Reaction Score
If he did ... we wouldn't need to debate retirment benfits rewarded to Penn State faculty ...

Yes, exactly!! This is what I've said a number of times. By keeping his mouth shut, he had no stand against the benefits. He'd go to Spanier and say, "Take his benefits away!!!" And Spanier would ask, "Why?"

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The ex-player McQuery saw the little kid getting raped and didn't call the police and people are blaming Joe Paterno?

No wonder this world is so screwed up.

Reaction Score
If Joe is guilty of anything he'll be arrested,

He was told something about an ex-employee and forwarded the information on to the AD who ultimately is the decision maker to investigate and report.

More heat should be put on Mike McQueary, He's the guy who saw what went down and was 28 at the time. That's adulthood.

A brutal Penn State fans perspective on McQueary

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ycn-10399373

FWIW--Timely Reporting is the answer to all these scandals. I don't have any respect for people coming out of the woodwork years later. A young victim who waits until adulthood? Yes. A different story. McQuery was the only real witness and had a moral duty to follow up.

There's no excuse for McQueary not reporting it to the police. As to all the people knocking him for what he did immediately, that's OK too. But I suspect that many people would have been shocked and not acted appropriately in those moments. After he had time to think about it, he should have called police. Sandusky was also a neighbor, McQueary grew up with his kids, went to school with them, played football. One is the Assistant GM of the Cleveland Browns.

Reaction Score
The ex-player McQuery saw the little kid getting raped and didn't call the police and people are blaming Joe Paterno?

No wonder this world is so screwed up.

They are blaming McQueary AND Paterno.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Huh? You think Joe would have been fired if he had alerted the police to Sandusky?

Not fired, but he was under the gun in those days and the powers that be may have decided that it was time for Joe to retire. I'm sure this went through Joe's mind. The fact remains that he kept his mouth shut and coached another decade.

Reaction Score
Yes, exactly!! This is what I've said a number of times. By keeping his mouth shut, he had no stand against the benefits. He'd go to Spanier and say, "Take his benefits away!!!" And Spanier would ask, "Why?"

Seriously? Spanier would ask why? Paterno forced out a 59 year old defensive genius who brought championships and huge $$$ to the school and Spanier didn't ask why. Paterno says he doesn't want Sandusky bringing young boys to campus anymore and Spanier doesn't ask why. If Paterno said call 911 WHY WOULD SPANIER ASK WHY???

Paterno protected a pedophile and nobody questioned him!!! Why would anyone question him if If Paterno accused a pedophile???

Reaction Score
Not fired, but he was under the gun in those days and the powers that be may have decided that it was time for Joe to retire. I'm sure this went through Joe's mind. The fact remains that he kept his mouth shut and coached another decade.

He had had one losing season in the entire decade or more prior to 2002. In 1999, PSU was ranked #1 in November.

Reaction Score
Seriously? Spanier would ask why? Paterno forced out a 59 year old defensive genius who brought championships and huge $$$ to the school and Spanier didn't ask why. Paterno says he doesn't want Sandusky bringing young boys to campus anymore and Spanier doesn't ask why. If Paterno said call 911 WHY WOULD SPANIER ASK WHY???

Paterno protected a pedophile and nobody questioned him!!! Why would anyone question him if If Paterno accused a pedophile???

The boys to campus thing happened much later, not after 2002. It was after 2007.
Now I'm hearing DA Madeira passed his files onto the state AG (Tom Corbett at the time, current governor) in 2005, and that kicked off the investigation. The ban on kids happened later after the investigation already kicked into gear.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He had had one losing season in the entire decade or more prior to 2002. In 1999, PSU was ranked #1 in November.

So what? If you are telling me that the "Has Joe Pa lost it" talk wasn't getting louder around that time you are rewriting history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom