Paterno out as Coach | The Boneyard

Paterno out as Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I couldn't see any alternative.

President Spanier is gone also. I believe he was the person with the pompous response about the BCS and how the major conferences were going to protect their turf and not cave into pressure by outside parties. That remark was a glimpse, imo, about the University and its power brokers existing in an insular environment which prohibited the school from taking the moral high road and addressing these crimes.

Some people and/or groups develop a false belief they are beyond reproach. I think the success of the football program and all the great thing that Paterno accomplished ended up being the universities undoing regarding these criminal matters, because the image became greater than life and people began to believe they were better than everyone else. And they couldn't let that image get destroyed. Understanding human behavior on the individual and group level is, imo, the best way of looking for future solutions to human failings. Hence my interest in this.

The most important thing is the University and that region in Pennsylvania will have to face not only state investigations, but federal as well, regarding the 1998 and 2002 incidents and why so many individuals and systems failed to do their jobs and stop these horrific acts. There are still some serious consequences in PSU future.

Reaction Score
How great would it be to find out FHCRE puts his name in for the Penn State job.

Reaction Score
I'm just glad that he's not on the football field this weekend! It would have been a circus. He's no martyr. His silence aided and abetted a pervert. He'll still have to live with that.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I don't feel like a full blown discussion on Paterno/Sandusky or the case. Anyone with any kind of moral compass knows right from wrong and stands on the same side on this issue.

I just wanted to say that along with obviously the victims, I really feel for the players. 18-22 yr old kids shouldn't need to answer questions on the morals of the grown men on their coaching staff. They should be answering questions on x's and o's. Leave the players out of this.

Just hoping the NCAA allows a free transfer to any player who'd like to leave without penalizing them and having them sit out a year. The players have been penalized enough by having their season taken away from them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm just glad that he's not on the football field this weekend! It would have been a circus. He's no martyr. His silence aided and abetted a pervert. He'll still have to live with that.

I think the expected circus, and expected huge show of support for JoePA is what they wanted to avoid. It would make Penn State look even worse.

I too a class a few months ago, so I can volunteer at my daughter's school, coach kiddie hoops etc. They made it very clear that we report things like this to the right administrator, who investigates. There are many, many misunderstandings, and reporting them directly to the authorities can cause major issues and harm families. So I don't blame Joe for not going to the police.

But Sandusky worked for Joe. Not following up and badgering the AD about the results of the investigation is inexcusable. He worked with him and had an obligation to make sure whether the allegations/information was verified or confirmed or revealed as a mistake or misunderstanding. You don't just report it and wash you hands of it.

Reaction Score
I think the expected circus, and expected huge show of support for JoePA is what they wanted to avoid. It would make Penn State look even worse.

I too a class a few months ago, so I can volunteer at my daughter's school, coach kiddie hoops etc. They made it very clear that we report things like this to the right administrator, who investigates. There are many, many misunderstandings, and reporting them directly to the authorities can cause major issues and harm families. So I don't blame Joe for not going to the police.

But Sandusky worked for Joe. Not following up and badgering the AD about the results of the investigation is inexcusable. He worked with him and had an obligation to make sure whether the allegations/information was verified or confirmed or revealed as a mistake or misunderstanding. You don't just report it and wash you hands of it.

I understand what you are saying. It's just that he had him standing next to him for years on the sideline, and watched (according to the Grand Jury Report) as Sandusky continued to bring young boys to PSU practices even after retirement. I believe that Paterno feared that his program would be brought down by this, and that his legacy would suffer. Maybe he did not have a civil, or legal obligation to report this, but he certainly had a moral- that's my opinion.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
If what is starting to be told about this story in back channels turns out to be true, then this will become one of the worst stories of the century. Not just in sports, but in all of the news world. It truly is unbelievable that this could happen...think John Grisham novel times 10! The level of involvement, knowledge and cover up is simply mind numbing! This will absolutely rock college football, politics, and society in general....this thing is about to blow up and go nuclear!

At least this will offer Joe Pesci another acting job for his resume....I don't think anyone else could possibly play Paterno in the movie!:D

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If what is starting to be told about this story in back channels turns out to be true, then this will become one of the worst stories of the century. Not just in sports, but in all of the news world. It truly is unbelievable that this could happen...think John Grisham novel times 10! The level of involvement, knowledge and cover up is simply mind numbing! This will absolutely rock college football, politics, and society in general....this thing is about to blow up and go nuclear!

At least this will offer Joe Pesci another acting job for his resume....I don't think anyone else could possibly play Paterno in the movie!:D
Yes, the rumors being reported make this look worse and worse. Potentially murdered DAs? But I'm willing to wait and see how much of this ends up as fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom