Pat Summitt to be honored with statue | The Boneyard

Pat Summitt to be honored with statue

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well as much as I resent her cheap shots at Geno and Connecticut, it's appropriate.

pigeon_photo_lrg_430205-93_.jpg

I'm sure it is eagerly anticipated and will be appropriately decorated.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Certainly makes sense.

Tennessee recently announced a one-year extension for Summitt to continue in her role as head coach emeritus at a salary of $85,000. She earned $354,375 in the role last year.
“It’s a chance for Pat to be around the program and our players,” said UT coach Holly Warlick, who succeeded Summitt after serving as a UT assistant since 1985. “It’s so important that the young players understand the tradition, and Pat is the tradition of the program. I love having her around and I’m just very thankful she wants to be around for another year.”
Warlick said Summitt’s role wouldn’t change.
“She’ll be at all the practices, she’ll do exactly what she’s been doing this year,” Warlick said. “I’m glad she’s in for one more year.”

Slowly fazing her out.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Great! We'll have something to tear down when we liberate Knoxville.

(Kidding! KIDDING!)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Well deserved - and nice that they are doing it now rather than years down the road. PHS and Tyler will have a very special day at the unveiling.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Certainly deserving. I understand that the clipboard she'll be holding in the Knoxville statue had to be taped back together, unlike the one in the coach portion of her alma mater set at UTenn-Martin shown below.

523093_500358439976450_900516328_n.jpg

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Is this UTenn's way of quieting those that want Thompson-Bolles renamed after Summitt?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Is this UTenn's way of quieting those that want Thompson-Bolles renamed after Summitt?
Nah- they just figured the second-best head coach in the history of WCBB merited a statue.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Pat's signature is on the bb court floor, which suggests that it is named in her honor, similar to Red Auerbach in Boston. Similarly, the Isaac Stern Concert Hall is within the building known as Carnegie Hall.

Which gets me to wondering if the UConn AD will honor Geno and Jim Calhoun in some comparable fashion, perhaps st the new practice facility. The Auriemma Wing and the Calhoun Wing? Something like that.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
And speaking of Pat and facts from her bio, uniforms and the washing of them played a major part in her early story. As a player for UTenn-Martin, apparently they once had to play three games in a row (on the same day, I assume) and the players didn't get a chance to wash off the uni between games as they only had one set each. And after graduating and going right on to grad school at UTenn and being handed the women's coaching job after the sudden departure of the incumbent, the job came with the responsibility of washing the team uniforms after games. I'm wondering if it was part of Geno's duties when he took the UConn job.

Also somewhat poignantly, she was the first one among her siblings that didn't earn an athletic scholarship to put herself through college -- her three older sibs were all brothers who could earn scholarships while there were none for women when she was at UTenn-Martin.

And times are still a-changin'.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
This will be the second statue on campus. The other one is of former football coach General Robert Neyland.

CL82

Reaction Score
Pat's signature is on the bb court floor, which suggests that it is named in her honor, similar to Red Auerbach in Boston. Similarly, the Isaac Stern Concert Hall is within the building known as Carnegie Hall.

Which gets me to wondering if the UConn AD will honor Geno and Jim Calhoun in some comparable fashion, perhaps st the new practice facility. The Auriemma Wing and the Calhoun Wing? Something like that.
I've been stumping for this solution for years:

1. Rename Hillside Road in front of Gampel "Calhoun's Way"
2. Name the court at Gampel "Hall of Fame Court"
3. When Auriema retires rename Stadium Road "Auriema Avenue"

Mandatory camera shot of the two street signs for every home game broadcast "We're here on the Hall of Fame Court in Gampel Pavilion located at the corner of Calhoun's Way and Auriema Avenue."

The new basketball practice center would eventually be on Auriema Avenue but the main drag though that part of campus is Calhoun's Way. Everybody wins.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Awesome!! It will give DT something else to hit !

CL82

Reaction Score
A moment later...
Pat%20Statue.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members