OT: - Pat Spencer, Loyola LAX star, planning to play Div. 1 basketball as grad transfer | The Boneyard

OT: Pat Spencer, Loyola LAX star, planning to play Div. 1 basketball as grad transfer

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My daughter goes to Loyola Maryland and not surprisingly we’ve become pretty big lacrosse fans. I’ve seen Pat Spencer play several times now and every time it is clear to even a casual observer that he is playing the game at a different level than anyone else on the field. In their dramatic comeback win against Syracuse today he became the all-time NCAA assist leader and he is second all-time in goals. Next Sunday they play in the quarterfinals at Rentschler against the winner of UMBC and number one seed Penn State. If you have even a passing interest in the sport I would highly recommend checking that game out; he is something to behold and he seemed to will Loyola to their comeback today, which required a 6-0 fourth quarter run by Loyola against a very aggressive and balanced Syracuse team that double and triple-teamed him all game.

In any event, apparently he’s a helluva point guard also, although he hasn’t played since high school. He was just drafted as the number one pick for the professional lacrosse league, but he says he is going to play Div. 1 basketball somewhere as a grad transfer next year and put lacrosse on hold. He may want to stay at Loyola if he can pull off a hardship waiver because his younger brother is entering Loyola as a freshman next season to play basketball there. No one has tape on the kid and he hasn’t been able to be active in his quest to play basketball because he’s still playing lacrosse.

I think whoever gets him is going to get a lot more than they bargained for. His vision, strength, speed and versatility would be incredibly valuable at point, not to mention his maturity with high level competition.

It sounds like a crazy experiment, but someone is going to be richly rewarded for taking a chance on him. His mettle seems as tough as they come.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My daughter goes to Loyola Maryland and not surprisingly we’ve become pretty big lacrosse fans. I’ve seen Pat Spencer play several times now and every time it is clear to even a casual observer that he is playing the game at a different level than anyone else on the field. In their dramatic comeback win against Syracuse today he became the all-time NCAA assist leader and he is second all-time in goals. Next Sunday they play in the quarterfinals at Rentschler against the winner of UMBC and number one seed Penn State. If you have even a passing interest in the sport I would highly recommend checking that game out; he is something to behold and he seemed to will Loyola to their comeback today, which required a 6-0 fourth quarter run by Loyola against a very aggressive and balanced Syracuse team that double and triple-teamed him all game.

In any event, apparently he’s a helluva point guard also, although he hasn’t played since high school. He was just drafted as the number one pick for the professional lacrosse league, but he says he is going to play Div. 1 basketball somewhere as a grad transfer next year and put lacrosse on hold. He may want to stay at Loyola if he can pull off a hardship waiver because his younger brother is entering Loyola as a freshman next season to play lacrosse there. No one has tape on the kid and he hasn’t been able to be active in his quest to play basketball because he’s still playing lacrosse.

I think whoever gets him is going to get a lot more than they bargained for. His vision, strength, speed and versatility would be incredibly valuable at point, not to mention his maturity with high level competition.

It sounds like a crazy experiment, but someone is going to be richly rewarded for taking a chance on him. His mettle seems as tough as they come.

The bolded part cracks me up. He may be fast and strong but what does it matter if he can't shoot or dribble? He isn't exactly big. When you say he is versatile - what does that mean exactly and how does it translate to basketball? Is lacrosse versatility playing with a big stick and a little stick (obviously I don't know squat about lacrosse).

All joking aside, this is a really cool story and I appreciate you bringing it to my attention.

Reaction Score
Whatever school gets him is going to get a ton of PR.

Can't imagine he is much more than a deep bench roleplayer. But crazier things have happened!

Reaction Score
The bolded part cracks me up. He may be fast and strong but what does it matter if he can't shoot or dribble? He isn't exactly big. When you say he is versatile - what does that mean exactly and how does it translate to basketball? Is lacrosse versatility playing with a big stick and a little stick (obviously I don't know squat about lacrosse).

All joking aside, this is a really cool story and I appreciate you bringing it to my attention.

He's 6-3 and a pretty solid 200 lbs, hell of an athlete. I saw him play at Boys Latin. He's a very good player who can definitely contribute on a D1 roster.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Based on what I read and heard them saying during the telecast, he’s a really good basketball player, so I am assuming he can shoot and dribble pretty well. I think I read that he can dunk, and he’s a solid 6’3” who was bulling his way to the net against crazy defense in a way that I could definitely see being effective on a basketball court.

Reaction Score
This guy is a great athlete, wondering if he's partially deaf.

Reaction Score
Based on what I read and heard them saying during the telecast, he’s a really good basketball player, so I am assuming he can shoot and dribble pretty well. I think I read that he can dunk, and he’s a solid 6’3” who was bulling his way to the net against crazy defense in a way that I could definitely see being effective on a basketball court.
Of course he can dunk, he's 6'3. He can actually throw down some pretty serious dunks.

Reaction Score
I’m 6’2”. I can’t dunk.
220px-White_men_cant_jump.jpg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As if being a 53 year old lawyer wasn't proof enough.

I worked for a guy who was a PF at St. Bonaventure. He’s probably only a 50 year old lawyer but he can dunk. And I went to law school with Mike Maddox who played for KU. 6’8” but not sure he can dunk.

Reaction Score
He's 6-3 and a pretty solid 200 lbs, hell of an athlete. I saw him play at Boys Latin. He's a very good player who can definitely contribute on a D1 roster.

Love the turf fields at Boys Latin. I do think Blandair Park is better though

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom