Pastner Out at G Tech | The Boneyard

Pastner Out at G Tech

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

He made just one NCAA tournament appearance in seven seasons at Georgia Tech, finishing with a record of 109-114. He went 51-78 in the ACC, with Tech's lone NCAA appearance in his time there coming after winning the conference tournament in 2021.

Not good!

Reaction Score

He made just one NCAA tournament appearance in seven seasons at Georgia Tech, finishing with a record of 109-114. He went 51-78 in the ACC, with Tech's lone NCAA appearance in his time there coming after winning the conference tournament in 2021.

Not good!
The list of attractive (some more than others) openings is growing and the season is far from over )

Reaction Score
I always wonder why many programs hire recycled loser coaches rather than try a new young guy who has had a lot of success at a lower level. Is that much more risky?
I've been wondering this forever. Like when an NFL team shells out for a journeyman QB who you know will be awful or an mlb team pays millions to a 37 year old Pitcher coming off his 3rd Tommy John. Why??

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The list of attractive (some more than others) openings is growing and the season is far from over )
I'm having a hard time seeing GaTech as really "attractive" compared to other openings. I don't think Pastner is a poor coach. When he took over Memphis, he lost Squid's recruiting class, which followed him to UK. Pastner got what was left to the NIT, then four straight years in the Dance. When he left Memphis, his win pct was only .003 behind JC.

He's only had one top 50 recruiting class at Tech in his seven years. Most of his classes have been in the 120-135 range, with a couple in the 70s. Doesn't seem like a place that's a primary destination for 4-5 stars.

Reaction Score
I remember when the now defunct Sport Magazine had a profile of him during his time as a walk-on at Zona hyping him up as a potential coaching prodigy. Does he still have juice as a recruiter? Time for him to be an assistant, two shots at high profile spots and nothing accomplished after Memphis left CUSA.

Reaction Score
I've been wondering this forever. Like when an NFL team shells out for a journeyman QB who you know will be awful or an mlb team pays millions to a 37 year old Pitcher coming off his 3rd Tommy John. Why??
It’s called cover your ass

Which is ironic cuz it usually doesn’t work. But that’s the mentality

Reaction Score
I'm having a hard time seeing GaTech as really "attractive" compared to other openings. I don't think Pastner is a poor coach. When he took over Memphis, he lost Squid's recruiting class, which followed him to UK. Pastner got what was left to the NIT, then four straight years in the Dance. When he left Memphis, his win pct was only .003 behind JC.

He's only had one top 50 recruiting class at Tech in his seven years. Most of his classes have been in the 120-135 range, with a couple in the 70s. Doesn't seem like a place that's a primary destination for 4-5 stars.
Hense

Thus the comment “some more than others”!!

Reaction Score
With the academic requirements and Atlanta and its surrounding areas being nationally recruited now, is this job above mediocre? Nevermind playing ACC basketball

Reaction Score
With the academic requirements and Atlanta and its surrounding areas being nationally recruited now, is this job above mediocre? Nevermind playing ACC basketball
What academic requirements? GT is a very good academic school but do you think the basketball players there have a harder time getting admitted than other schools in the top conferences? Or have harder academic requirements when they're in school? No to both questions.

Reaction Score
What academic requirements? GT is a very good academic school but do you think the basketball players there have a harder time getting admitted than other schools in the top conferences? Or have harder academic requirements when they're in school? No to both questions.
Oh ok thank you for that insight, I’ve read and heard that it’s a reason why their football program has fallen off, and I assumed with this transfer era that we are in, it would be harder for them to accept transfers. My 2nd point in my original comment you can understand though right?

Reaction Score
This replacement should be fairly easy with some risk. You have a local coach killing it up the road at Kennesaw State, Amir Abdur-Rahim.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My boss is a Zona grad he was mad they didn’t go for him after the Miller drama. Seemed to work out for them this year!

Reaction Score

Stoudamire previously coached five seasons at Pacific, finishing his last full season with a 23-10, which was easily their best season in the WCC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom