Pasqualoni letting some info slip? | The Boneyard

Pasqualoni letting some info slip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Did anyone watch 'UConn Press Pass' on SNY today (showing Pasqualoni's press conference)? I just sat got home from work and watched it on my DVR. I have not seen any of this info or quotes reported, but it was extremely interesting.

Here is one quote that I thought was quite interesting and telling (bolding to highlight the especially interesting sections):

"I think that there are ideas and opinons on this. I think that regardless of which way it goes, we're going to be in a good situation...we are going to be in a BCS Conference. Whatever happens, myself personally...I would just like the opportunity to build some geographic rivalries that make sense, that the fans in the Northeast can get excited about. I'd like to have the Northeast flavor to it....me personally. I think that would be exciting it would be good for football, I think it would be good for our state, and the east. That's kind of how I feel about it."

and later he said:

"Hey it's no different than when Penn State went to the Big Ten, they lost all that tradition of Pitt, and West Virginia, and Syracuse, and all those games. And they started over again. You can probably say that Penn State has somewhat of a rivalry going right now with Michigan State I guess... the two big land grant instituions. And they probably have some other rivalries within that conference going. But it took them a period of years to create that...and we'll be in that same boat. But thats fine. We'll do that. You now, that will be exciting."

It sounds a lot like he is under the impression that we have the option between two BCS conferences and we are just tring to decide which one we are going to take. It sounds like Pasqualoni is in favor of the ACC (and thus preserving the Northeast footall traditions), but it seems like others (Herbst) is leaning towards the Big Ten (his specific quotes about Penn St and developing rivalries with schools not in the Northeast).

Either Herbst and UConn are in a much better position than anyone realizes, or they are just naive and are just trying to project strength to the outside world. Their quotes seem to show they are all very confident. The quotes coming from UConn consisntently seem to insinuate that we have multiple BCS conference options to chose from.

Is there any chance that Notre Dame has decided they are going to finally join a conference and are just debating whether it will be the Big Ten or the ACC...and we are just along for the ride. If Notre Dame chooses the ACC, we are #16 with them. And if Notre Dame chooses the Big Ten, they will take us with them to preserve the Northeast presence? From all of the quotes and confidence coming out of Storrs, this seems possible...despite it not being reported on at all in the media or rumor mills.

Did Pasqualoni just let the cat out of the bag a little? Or am I reading too much into the quotes and just hoping?

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Did anyone watch 'UConn Press Pass' on SNY today (showing Pasqualoni's press conference)? I just sat got home from work and watched it on my DVR. I have not seen any of this info or quotes reported, but it was extremely interesting.

Here is one quote that I thought was quite interesting and telling (bolding to highlight the especially interesting sections):

"I think that there are ideas and opinons on this. I think that regardless of which way it goes, we're going to be in a good situation...we are going to be in a BCS Conference. Whatever happens, myself personally...I would just like the opportunity to build some geographic rivalries that make sense, that the fans in the Northeast can get excited about. I'd like to have the Northeast flavor to it....me personally. I think that would be exciting it would be good for football, I think it would be good for our state, and the east. That's kind of how I feel about it."

and later he said:

"Hey it's no different than when Penn State went to the Big Ten, they lost all that tradition of Pitt, and West Virginia, and Syracuse, and all those games. And they started over again. You can probably say that Penn State has somewhat of a rivalry going right now with Michigan State I guess... the two big land grant instituions. And they probably have some other rivalries within that conference going. But it took them a period of years to create that...and we'll be in that same boat. But thats fine. We'll do that. You now, that will be exciting."

It sounds a lot like he is under the impression that we have the option between two BCS conferences and we are just tring to decide which one we are going to take. It sounds like Pasqualoni is in favor of the ACC (and thus preserving the Northeast footall traditions), but it seems like others (Herbst) is leaning towards the Big Ten (his specific quotes about Penn St and developing rivalries with schools not in the Northeast).

Either Herbst and UConn are in a much better position than anyone realizes, or they are just naive and are just trying to project strength to the outside world. Their quotes seem to show they are all very confident. The quotes coming from UConn consisntently seem to insinuate that we have multiple BCS conference options to chose from.

Is there any chance that Notre Dame has decided they are going to finally join a conference and are just debating whether it will be the Big Ten or the ACC...and we are just along for the ride. If Notre Dame chooses the ACC, we are #16 with them. And if Notre Dame chooses the Big Ten, they will take us with them to preserve the Northeast presence? From all of the quotes and confidence coming out of Storrs, this seems possible...despite it not being reported on at all in the media or rumor mills.

Did Pasqualoni just the cat out of the bag a little? Or am I reading too much into the quotes and just hoping?

Even though I would love to be wrong.

Reaction Score
I believe "press pass" is from tuesday, when there was still a chance of a merger with the big 12.

Reaction Score
That fans in the Northeast can get excited about?

Can you say UConn vs BCU?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I believe "press pass" is from tuesday, when there was still a chance of a merger with the big 12.

You're right...sorry. I have been working long hours lately (maybe because I am spending half my day on the boneyard and the internet looking for the latest conference info?;)), so all the days are blending together and I just sat down in front of the TV for the first time in days...just assumed it was from today...but you are right.

Interesting quotes either way though.

Reaction Score

and later he said:

Did Pasqualoni just let the cat out of the bag a little? Or am I reading too much into the quotes and just hoping?

The second one.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Pasqualoni is doing whatever he can to hold the recruiting class together while BCU, Maryland, Pitt and Syracuse call every commit we have and tell them the Big East is toast and those kids will be playing Bowling Green and Toledo for conference tilts in 2 years. Anyone remember what happened to Pitt's class in 2004? Harris had a Top 10 class and they lost something like 5 recruits in the days before Signing Day.

Reaction Score

and later he said:

Whenever you ask if you are reading too much into something, you probably are. If you're not reading too much into something, it would never occur to you to ask

Reaction Score
"Am I reading too much into this?" is in line with "Does this "anyhting" make me look fat?" - if you have to ask, then yes. Or actually no, that "anything" doesn't make you look fat. Fat makes you look fat.

Reaction Score
Whenever you ask if you are reading too much into something, you probably are. If you're not reading too much into something, it would never occur to you to ask

I know a lot of people who could use this advice in terms of how it relates to dating, but it turns out to be applicable to conference realignment as well!

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I know a lot of people who could use this advice in terms of how it relates to dating, but it turns out to be applicable to conference realignment as well!
Sometimes it takes awhile to learn this stuff... I had a few painful lessons early on. ;)

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I think Coach P was putting a positive/confident spin on things because that's what he should be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom