Part of the process | The Boneyard

Part of the process

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For our school--always has been and very acceptable.

I've watched college basketball all year and I dont know 1 team who will be bringing back the core talent of Hamilton Purvis Brimah WITH upperclassmen role players and at-least two really good young guys.

The first sign of our team was seen today went Boatright went out and we were a big team out there. We can essentially 6-8 6-4 6-4 in the back-court next year and I feel good that we will have atleast 2 offensive stars there---a producer with Adams front-court improvement AND additional depth.

We still have a nice chemistry with all of the players and can imagine the progression of our core players. Purvis if he uses that straight line drive to augment his game will be a really great player. A few times this year I thought D Ham was ready to breakout to the point he might not come back--but hes coming back and hes going to be a superstar.

It really is up to both Amida and Nolan to add offensive game. Were going to have 6-11 6-10 6-10 6-9 6-5 next year in the frontcourt--plenty big and plenty deep. Its up to the guys to get there and the coach to use a system that helps utilize the bigs scoring a bit more.

I would never say winning 20 games is a failure--we've done it before its just a piece of the process. The ONLY honest way this team would've had any chance to compete SERIOUSLY would've been Daniels coming back--once he declared--it was all over--this whole year was a developmental year.

Now we get the fun part next year.

Reaction Score
The season was salvaged in my mind. The team transformed and gained immense character in the closing days. For that reason alone, the kids and the University is better than it was. The tradition of never quitting and willing victory is alive and well. They just ran out of gas in day 4 and still almost managed a magnificent come back. Not bad for team that really struggled all season to find an identity, and what they found was UConn's identity again.

Reaction Score
Someone's gotta tweak Samuel's shot. He's a very good free-throw shooter so there is potential to improve exponentially. But, if this doesn't happen, Adams will quickly take over the starting PG spot, mark my words. He is a legit 6'2-6'3 with Boat's athleticism, excited to see what he can do.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Someone's gotta tweak Samuel's shot. He's a very good free-throw shooter so there is potential to improve exponentially. But, if this doesn't happen, Adams will quickly take over the starting PG spot, mark my words. He is a legit 6'2-6'3 with Boat's athleticism, excited to see what he can do.

I would give Adams the job right off the bat from day one. I love T-Sam a lot more than the next guy, but him in the starting lineup makes me nervous as all hell.

Reaction Score
I would give Adams the job right off the bat from day one. I love T-Sam a lot more than the next guy, but him in the starting lineup makes me nervous as all hell.
Yeah, i think we can all agree Adams offers a better skill set for the point, but if TSAM gets in the gym, works on his shot and ball-handling, he deserves a shot at the starting spot. We know he can slash to the basket very well, draw contact, etc. But i believe if he can even become a minor outside threat he deserves the chance.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yeah, i think we can all agree Adams offers a better skill set for the point, but if TSAM gets in the gym, works on his shot and ball-handling, he deserves a shot at the starting spot. We know he can slash to the basket very well, draw contact, etc. But i believe if he can even become a minor outside threat he deserves the chance.

I want him to do that more than anything. I'm rooting for him to prove his doubters wrong the way Purvis is starting to, and I'm a sucker for tough NYC guards. But he needs a lot of work.

Reaction Score

Samuel will provide a physicality that will be really helpful. I think we have the ballhandlers in Adams Purvis Hamilton and Samuel. If there is one position we might need one additional spot is an extra PG for depth.

Reaction Score
I would give Adams the job right off the bat from day one.
I suspect it's his to lose, and I also suspect that it'll be easier to live with many of his rookie mistakes because DHam will spend so much time and the primary offensive initiator/facilitator.

Now we just need everybody to get comfortable with catching the ball and shooting it occasionally. I'm gonna need a trigger warning the next time I see an unnecessary pump fake, no matter which team it's from.

Reaction Score
There is no doubt that Adams starts from day one next year, just like Hamilton did this year. The difference between Adams, as an 18 year old senior v. Samuel as a 20 year old junior is not even close. Samuel may be able to out bench him in the weight room, but not beat him for the starting pg job.

That being said, I'm with you guys, T Sam needs to at least be a damn threat to shoot the ball next year. He should not be allowed to leave the gym this summer until he hits 500 jumpers, including 100 threes. We play four on five when he's on the court. It's a problem. He can get to the hole from time to time, but if he's not fouled, it's often a missed layup. This isn't intended to be a dump on Terrence post, it's really just highlighting the point that Adams will get big big minutes next year, and he will be a stud. He'll make mistakes, and have difficulties as a freshman, but the keys to the throne are in good hands. He's a future pro.

Reaction Score
I want him to do that more than anything. I'm rooting for him to prove his doubters wrong the way Purvis is starting to, and I'm a sucker for tough NYC guards. But he needs a lot of work.
Things every returning player needs to work on:

TSAM- Ballhandling, Shot
Cassell- Foot speed, consistent shot
Purvis- Consistency in all aspects, dumb mistakes
Facey-Get in the weight room, post D, point blank shots
Brimah- Rebounding, Rebounding, Rebounding, not going for every block, Work on those chopstick arms
DHAM- Consistent shot, perimeter and help defense, ball handling (got much better)
Nolan- Get a little stronger, lateral defense, post offense, rebounding
Calhoun- Ball handling, turnovers, more confident in shot, defense (saw great improvement on this lately)
Rock- Haven't exactly seen enough from him, but use his body more than his arms on D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom