Parsing Misleading Stats-Olivia style | The Boneyard

Parsing Misleading Stats-Olivia style

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
While reading the Alexa P. article from the Courant, I scratched my head at the ONO blocked shots comment as UConn has played mostly P5 opponents in their 10 games, with just Dayton as the lone RPI outlier. I went over to the NCAA stats to review the "leaders" of both # and # per game. The top person is Brittany Brewer of Texas Tech at 69 blocks and 6.27 per game. As we all know Texas Tech is 11-0, let's refresh these opponents for everyone's understanding:
The combined Massey SoS is 343 out of 351 teams!
They have played 8 teams ranked 300+
They have played 2 teams ranked 200+
The other team ranked on their schedule is 189
My point is while Brittany Brewer may be a fine young lady, she's done this damage against NOBODY's in the WCBB world. Being the tallest person on the court at all times against this cast of misfit teams, gosh, I would hope she would dominate but with the Big12 conference season starting tomorrow, I doubt she will come close to these numbers and will fall behind Olivia.

Now all that said, I think Olivia's shot blocking has been underappreciated thus far. Add in her "under control" aggressiveness in not picking up fouls, she is affecting games not seen since Stewie in the middle. She was downright impressive in the Oklahoma game and given all the physical actions done by the Sooners in the paint to her, she has become another player worthy of AA consideration. Her big test comes on January 9th against Baylor with Lauren Cox, Queen Egbo, NaLyssa Smith and Erin DeGrate. Meanwhile, let's be even more appreciative of what ONO is doing!

Thanks for the effort Liv, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching you thus far! Keep it up. :)

Reaction Score
Most stats can be deceiving, especially given the lack of elite vs elite games so far. I have no idea how skilled she is or will be but Brittany Brewer should be allowed her moment. Even ONO's blocking stats have been earned against lesser centers and maybe a few teams without a center (DePaul).
Except for a relative handful of wcbb fans in ten years all the world will know in 10 years is that Natalie Butler led the nation in rebounding in a year that had some excellent centers.
I love individual players and track their stats as much as anyone but it's always impossible to award MOP's in a team sport such as basketball. You never hear about who is the most outstanding Rockette. (Are they still around?) But it makes for good discussion as I wait for a decent game to watch.

Reaction Score
Her big test comes on January 9th against Baylor with Lauren Cox, Queen Egbo, NaLyssa Smith and Erin DeGrate.

Straying slightly off-topic, which of those listed can defend Walker? :)
Two of them will need to be on the court if Baylor is to have an inside game and one of them will be chasing Walker unless Kim plays a zone. But if I remember she's tried that before and UConn "3'd" her and "offensive-rebounded" her team to death.
ONO's edge will be that those Baylor posts have little experience playing any road game, let alone a sold out arena filled with historical banners and UConn fans. Kim likes it in Waco and her team almost always plays their best there. We saw that last year. This game will certainly be a test but the pressure is all on Baylor. They are the defending champs. A loss by Baylor will be evidence of a decline from last year. But UConn has had a lower bar set and even a close loss has them coming out of that game looking positive. It will be seen as part of the process, a step back to allow 3 steps forward.
ONO has shown an ability to hit from the elbow. That's how she can win those battles. Another off-season in the weight room and she will be able to get physical down low.

Reaction Score
My point is while Brittany Brewer may be a fine young lady, she's done this damage against NOBODY's in the WCBB world. Being the tallest person on the court at all times against this cast of misfit teams, gosh, I would hope she would dominate but with the Big12 conference season starting tomorrow, I doubt she will come close to these numbers and will fall behind Olivia.

Brewer is a very solid player who will play professionally somewhere after her career at Texas Tech is over. She was a member of the US U-23 national team that played in the Pan Am Games last summer in Peru. If you would see an interview of Brewer being interviewed, you would like her. She is very humble. She doesn't control her team's schedule.

ONO will likely be a Top-5 WBNA pick in 2021 or 2022 if she continues her strong development and progression.

I shouldn't be bothered anytime a UConn fan questions another player's stats as being less legit than a UConn player's stats. It happens on this board frequently and this is a UConn women's basketball message board.

As a UConn fan from the left coast, I realize the UConn system and the team's strength of schedule does not lend itself to an apples vs. apples comparison statistically with every player and every team at the D1 level.

ONO is certainly receiving plenty of national attention for how she is playing and for her blocked shots. Brewer not as much because she isn't achieving her numbers against top competition.

Brewer may end up leading the nation in blocked shots. Or not. However, ONO will likely be playing in New Orleans in April and will continue to be talked up for what she does for one of the nation's top teams.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Liv has taken a handful of outside shots and it is clear she has a soft touch to 15. Her misses are just barely misses and it is important she begin the journey to diversify her game

Reaction Score
16 blocks in one game can do wonders for your average
I didn't realize that 16 of them came in the same game. Ouch!

I researched and saw that Brewer played 27 minutes in that game. I guess her coach could have lifted her sooner. Or, her coach could have instructed her to stop blocking shots because she had blocked enough already. Or, perhaps her opponent could have realized after her first 10 blocked shots that it wasn't a good night to challenge her in the paint.

If history repeats itself, the national leader will likely finish the season with 4.0-5.0 blocks per game. ONO has the tools to lead the nation in that category by the season's end.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While reading the Alexa P. article from the Courant, I scratched my head at the ONO blocked shots comment as UConn has played mostly P5 opponents in their 10 games, with just Dayton as the lone RPI outlier. I went over to the NCAA stats to review the "leaders" of both # and # per game. The top person is Brittany Brewer of Texas Tech at 69 blocks and 6.27 per game. As we all know Texas Tech is 11-0, let's refresh these opponents for everyone's understanding:
The combined Massey SoS is 343 out of 351 teams!
They have played 8 teams ranked 300+
They have played 2 teams ranked 200+
The other team ranked on their schedule is 189

Now all that said, I think Olivia's shot blocking has been underappreciated thus far. Add in her "under control" aggressiveness in not picking up fouls, she is affecting games not seen since Stewie in the middle. She was downright impressive in the Oklahoma game and given all the physical actions done by the Sooners in the paint to her, she has become another player worthy of AA consideration. Her big test comes on January 9th against Baylor with Lauren Cox, Queen Egbo, NaLyssa Smith and Erin DeGrate. Meanwhile, let's be even more appreciative of what ONO is doing!

Thanks for the effort Liv, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching you thus far! Keep it up. :)

I'm not certain how I feel about your comments on Brewer. But I love every word on ONO/Olivia/Liv Nelson Ododa. To consider what Olivia was this time last year is to say WOW WOW WOW. She has to be physically gifted and intellectually superior, with a terrific work ethic to move that far this fast.
Thanks good word for Olivia who EARNED them.

Reaction Score
Most stats can be deceiving, especially given the lack of elite vs elite games so far. I have no idea how skilled she is or will be but Brittany Brewer should be allowed her moment. Even ONO's blocking stats have been earned against lesser centers and maybe a few teams without a center (DePaul).
Except for a relative handful of wcbb fans in ten years all the world will know in 10 years is that Natalie Butler led the nation in rebounding in a year that had some excellent centers.
I love individual players and track their stats as much as anyone but it's always impossible to award MOP's in a team sport such as basketball. You never hear about who is the most outstanding Rockette. (Are they still around?) But it makes for good discussion as I wait for a decent game to watch.
Some discount competition. We have seen 3 players in the past 4 or so years that were before or were after they departed top players for a team not in UConn category classification of excellence. The were superb on those teams. Rarely were effective when off the bench for UCONN against even less talented than UCONN TALENT.
The competition you play IS important if for nothing more than preparing for the Ncaa RUN.
Actually, those in the business know who the outstanding Rockette is on any given year or decade. When you make it your business you know your business--like WCBB. Geno has held the Rockets up to his teams as excellence in teamwork and work ethic. You don't get to be a Rockette without year in year our hard work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom