Parrish: "On his way to a possible three-peat, UConn coach Dan Hurley lands commitment from top-25 recruit Darius Adams" | The Boneyard

Parrish: "On his way to a possible three-peat, UConn coach Dan Hurley lands commitment from top-25 recruit Darius Adams"

Reaction Score
I decided this should be posted here because it has not been included in any of @HuskyNan's daily "In the News" posts and I believe after reading through it that Gary Parrish actually hits on a theme about our success on Mondays and just his overall admiration for Dan Hurley and our program that will make you all smile.

I admit it... I love that the national media is mostly fawning all over Dan and this coaching staff. They absolutely have earned it. Enjoy the read:

Reaction Score
Fwiw this was posted in the Adams commitment thread. I had to laugh about Parrish's theory about Monday being UConn's day. Amusing article.

Reaction Score
I decided this should be posted here because it has not been included in any of @HuskyNan's daily "In the News" posts and I believe after reading through it that Gary Parrish actually hits on a theme about our success on Mondays and just his overall admiration for Dan Hurley and our program that will make you all smile.

I admit it... I love that the national media is mostly fawning all over Dan and this coaching staff. They absolutely have earned it. Enjoy the read:

It is pretty nice how the media fawns over Hurley and they all legit seem to love the guy and how he runs his program. I love Calhoun so much but he simply didn't play the game (love him for that) and actually pissed off a lot of the talking heads. They respected how good he was and how it was all about winning but Calhoun simply viewed it that way, his job was to win basketball games and to win titles. Hurley is doing all the winning but he also knows a big part of it is making yourself accessible and being a salesman for the program. The guy is an open book who shows you all his frailties, people like that.

Reaction Score
Fwiw this was posted in the Adams commitment thread. I had to laugh about Parrish's theory about Monday being UConn's day. Amusing article.

Thanks... the Adams commitment thread got long enough I did not have the time to read through every post.

I appreciate the catch and apologize for the double up! It is worth the read though... as Gary Parrish has not always been our biggest fan, but he really does kiss the ring on Hurley's finger in this article.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It is pretty nice how the media fawns over Hurley and they all legit seem to love the guy and how he runs his program. I love Calhoun so much but he simply didn't play the game (love him for that) and actually pissed off a lot of the talking heads. They respected how good he was and how it was all about winning but Calhoun simply viewed it that way, his job was to win basketball games and to win titles. Hurley is doing all the winning but he also knows a big part of it is making yourself accessible and being a salesman for the program. The guy is an open book who shows you all his frailties, people like that.

That's 90% of it. There's no "not a dime back" or "what do you want me to say, I effed up" stuff -- DH has a way of standing his ground but getting laughs. Of course winning helps. And currying favor with local and national media gets you the benefit of the doubt, too.

In the new NIL landscape, DH also doesn't have to face stuff like JC did with the Miles and Gay recruitments.

Both legends. JC's still one up on DH!

Reaction Score
That's 90% of it. There's no "not a dime back" or "what do you want me to say, I effed up" stuff -- DH has a way of standing his ground but getting laughs. Of course winning helps. And currying favor with local and national media gets you the benefit of the doubt, too.

In the new NIL landscape, DH also doesn't have to face stuff like JC did with the Miles and Gay recruitments.

As similar as their intensity and demeanor was/inside the gym is how dissimilar their personalities are outside of it. The maturity and growth Danny has shown personally the last few years is equally impressive to what he has done on the court. This train is still rolling!

Reaction Score

Yep, Calhoun was old school. He did things his way and if you didn't like it you could kick rocks. He had to deal with the NCAA having all the power and their heavy hand as you point out but things were also stable then. UConn was eating from the same table as everyone else even if the big boy blue bloods hated that he was gaining on them.

Hurley is in the Wild West NIL times but he knows a big part of his job is selling UConn because we're disadvantaged in this new realignment era where money rules everything. He's done a brilliant job of mixing the old school with the new and kicking everyone's butts on the court and off the court.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
As similar as their intensity and demeanor was/inside the gym is how dissimilar their personalities are outside of it. The maturity and growth Danny has shown personally the last few years is equally impressive to what he has done on the court. This train is still rolling!

I mean he did shove one of our players in the back while he was on the court during the national championship game but point taken. :)

Reaction Score
I mean he did shove one of our players in the back while he was on the court during the national championship game but point taken. :)
And then looked at the ref like he was crazy for blowing the whistle and screamed, "I didn't do that." Lolz

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
And then looked at the ref like he was crazy for blowing the whistle and screamed, "I didn't do that." Lolz

Best part was when he asked Cam in the timeout if he really did it and Cam was like "uh, what am I supposed to say here" and just shrugged

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Can somebody clarify what Parrish meant when he referred to there being “newly raised eyebrows” with regard to Wooden’s legacy at UCLA?

Recruiting shenanigans. Boosters etc. Wooden didn't want to know.

I don't think the allegations are all that new but, as proven by your post, it's hardly become public knowledge.

Reaction Score
Another thing to mention here is that Hurley and Calhoun are both very tough on the players in practice as they can be downright tyrannical, but are very different during games towards the players. Hurley seldomly gets on the players during games, but rather visibly shows encouragement and support towards the players during games while Calhoun is much more likely to berate the players in front of the fans during games. Although maybe not all players liked Calhoun, I can tell you from my conversations with some former players that almost all of them did and they even said he takes care of his players in looking out for their best interests.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom