OT: Paper straws | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Paper straws

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
It's not a concern about plastic. More about plastic straws constantly getting stuck in the nostrils of sea animals, dolphins, turtles, etc.
They need to stop doing cocaine. Problem solved.

Seriously, saw a clip of a turtle with a straw stuck up his nose. Sad actually.

Reaction Score
Legit better for you anyway. Those plastic bottles have been sitting a while and heated/cooled enough times to get some decent leaching going. That's a good way to grow bitch tits. Estrogen city.

There's all kinds of biodegradable straws these days. Most can't be thrown on the compost heap tho.
What always cracked me up is people will pull up to a convenience store gas pump and complain about paying $3.50 per gallon of gas. They will then walk inside and pay $8.00 per gallon of water. This is what they are paying if they buy a 16oz water for $1. Bottled water is the biggest racket going.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
What always cracked me up is people will pull up to a convenience store gas pump and complain about paying $3.50 per gallon of gas. They will then walk inside and pay $8.00 per gallon of water. This is what they are paying if they buy a 16oz water for $1. Bottled water is the biggest racket going.

I don't know why I never bothered to do the actual math. That's hilarious.

Bottled water has it's place. It's good for power outages and other emergencies, natural disasters, areas where the water is foul, etc. But on the whole, you're spot on.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Paper straws are a way to make people feel like they're doing something wonderful for the environment. Businesses will use them for but have stated they are mostly garbage.

I live in a city that is changing from plastic bags to paper which everyone agrees with. Now he is the rub. They want the businesses to charge a dime a bag which going back to the business and if they don't they will be fined $45 dollars per incident.

I was buying dime bags 25 years ago.

Reaction Score

Ten years ago some people at work were complaining about the price of gas and I asked them if they bought bottled water. When they said yes I asked them if they knew they were paying about $10 per gallon for the water. The stunned looks and silence were priceless.

Reaction Score
So I don’t use straws for anything other than an iced coffee.

And I can’t buy that the straws gum up the machines and the solution are awful paper straws when the mountain of used keurig cups are going to eclipse Everest by 2026.

Last edited:

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
The self-righteousness of the anti-straw people makes me want to buy many, many packages of straws and dump them all in the river.

Like, seriously. The whole world is falling apart but let’s spend countless hours and lobbying dollars to make it flipping impossible for my 3 year old to drink his Danimals.

Gah.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
And I can’t buy that the straws gum up the machines and the solution are awful paper straws when the mountain of used keurig cups are going eclipse Everest by 2026.

Those aren't supposed to be recycled at all. Unless you want to separate the components.

It's the thinness of the straws that does it. Slip through cracks in the conveyor belt.

Reaction Score
The self-righteousness of the anti-straw people makes me want to buy many, many packages of straws and dump them all in the river.

Like, seriously. The whole world is falling apart but let’s spend countless hours and lobbying dollars to make it flipping impossible for my 3 year old to drink his Danimals.

Gah.

This is why! A turtle with a straw up his nose.

T.
download (6).jpg

Reaction Score
Nah I am a toxicologist. The whole plastic leaching estrogenic compounds is fake science. We can debate it but not here

Pretty sure the plastic leaching is real...directly tied to global warming I heard.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It may have something to do with single stream recycling. Plastic straws and the small plastic caps on bottles can gum up (not a scientific term) the system. Not sure how but I read that they just end up not being part of the recycled stream and are disposed of as ordinary trash. In any event it can be a major cost item for recycling. For straws I just don't use them any more. For plastic bottle caps I just toss them in the garbage and recycle the bottle. I live in Florida so I drink a lot of water and I am outdoors a lot so I am more and more relying on personal water bottles which I wash and reuse.

It has everything to do with single stream recycling. Same with the plastic bags they ban everywhere. They gum up the works.

Meanwhile, enough with the oceans. U.S. generated waste doesn’t end up in the oceans. 90% of the stuff in the oceans comes from a handful of countries in Asia. Places without recycling and trash bins everywhere. Where people just throw stuff in the local river.

Reaction Score

Gah.
Yea exactly lol. The looming global ecological collapse will hardly be stopped by a couple hundred less tons of plastic. In fact, if it makes people think they're accomplishing anything, the straw ban is probably actively harmful.

C

Chief00

It may have something to do with single stream recycling. Plastic straws and the small plastic caps on bottles can gum up (not a scientific term) the system. Not sure how but I read that they just end up not being part of the recycled stream and are disposed of as ordinary trash. In any event it can be a major cost item for recycling. For straws I just don't use them any more. For plastic bottle caps I just toss them in the garbage and recycle the bottle. I live in Florida so I drink a lot of water and I am outdoors a lot so I am more and more relying on personal water bottles which I wash and reuse.

If they screw up recycling, throw them in the garbage - in CT all garbage is incinerated - so the turtles are safe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom