OT: - "Papa John" out at Louisville | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: "Papa John" out at Louisville

Reaction Score
I wanted them to name it Muhammed Ali Cardinal Stadium. Who better to name a stadium after in Louisville?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Fair enough.

I have no issue with companies throwing their money around like that. Their name is shown over and over again to the public. It's a lot of advertising.

Also, it doesn't help that I have direct experience of Louisville as a good food & drink town, and Papa John's is such a poor product. I mean, imagine if the Louisville basketball games were played at an arena named for, say, fast food.

Oh wait...

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It would be hilarious if they now sell the naming rights to Pizza Hut. It then becomes "Pizza Hut Stadium" or "The Hut"... a perfect name for a football stadium.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You know, I really can't think of a situation where saying "the n-word" as a substitute for the actual n-word would not suffice. If I was writing an article about racism or reading aloud from a book that contained the actual word, that might be different. (I still might not use the word in the second instance.)

The fact that he, as I said, casually and gratuitously used the full word in this wholly inappropriate context leads me to infer it wasn't the first time he'd used it. And I suspect not always in reference to what Colonel Sanders may have said a half century ago.

Sounds really dumb when you're trying to sing along to rap songs. Especially DMX's 'My N-words'. Even sounds stupid saying that.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If Schnatter bought the naming rights, how does the "Ville" just take it back? Absent some kind of moral turpitude clause, I'm not sure they can.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It would be hilarious if they now sell the naming rights to Pizza Hut. It then becomes "Pizza Hut Stadium" or "The Hut"... a perfect name for a football stadium.
Louisville-based YUM! Brands is the owner of Pizza Hut. Just sayin'...

Reaction Score
Hell...also bad reflection on the Yankees...who have put their relation with Papa John on hold.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
If Schnatter bought the naming rights, how does the "Ville" just take it back? Absent some kind of moral turpitude clause, I'm not sure they can.

Because it's Louisville. They do anything they want, and they usually get away with it, at least for a while. Even when they get caught for multiple transgressions it never seems to matter much.

Look at it this way. How much pizza is Papa John's likely to sell in Louisville if they sue the school? I'd be very nervous if I owned a PJ franchise anywhere in metro Louisville now.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
How much pizza is Papa John's likely to sell in Louisville if they sue the school?
Tough question, mostly because it is difficult to imagine that anyone would actually eat that dreck to begin with.

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, how did PJ's place in the esteemed BY apizza rankings???

Reaction Score

>>Questions remain. Legalities will have to be discussed. Nobody at Bendapudi’s announcement on Friday was quite sure whether she had the right to tear up a contract with 22 years remaining. Nobody was quite sure what it meant for the financial arrangements in place with the university, athletic department or school of business.

She did it anyway, she said, because by doing it, “we renew our community’s commitment to speaking up when it matters, doing what is right, and coming together as one team.”

Asked whether the university would pursue another naming rights deal for the stadium, she said, “Not at this time. . . . We have to talk about (the money). We’ve made the decision. . . . We understand that this comes with certain consequences and we have examined all of those, and this is our best decision to move forward.”<<

Reaction Score
You know, I really can't think of a situation where saying "the n-word" as a substitute for the actual n-word would not suffice. If I was writing an article about racism or reading aloud from a book that contained the actual word, that might be different. (I still might not use the word in the second instance.)

The fact that he, as I said, casually and gratuitously used the full word in this wholly inappropriate context leads me to infer it wasn't the first time he'd used it. And I suspect not always in reference to what Colonel Sanders may have said a half century ago.

Well put. Honestly, I clicked on this thread half-ready to defend him because I figured nobody could be this dumb. Wrong.

This wasn't Riley Cooper bad, but it also wasn't a group of sorority girls mindlessly reciting rap lyrics. He's in a professional setting and clearly trying to downplay the significance. Even if you swap the word he used for something else, it's still a very bad PR look.

Granted, there are a lot of people who genuinely seem to not understand this, but Papa John, especially after the anthem comments, is not allowed to be one of them.

Reaction Score

Good point but what’s he going to do, sue them? Even if he does, the board still did the right thing. Actually it shows some serious moral backbone if they did it despite contractual default.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This is absolutely not worded correctly, but my guess is they will claim some sort of breach of contract because the relationship seized being mutually beneficial due directly to actions of Papa John himself and UL will buy it out for pennies on the dollar.

Reaction Score
This is absolutely not worded correctly, but my guess is they will claim some sort of breach of contract because the relationship seized being mutually beneficial due directly to actions of Papa John himself and UL will buy it out for pennies on the dollar.

Who will get more buyout/lawsuit cash....KO or PJ?

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Anyone else getting Papa Johns ads fed to them in this thread? lol

Reaction Score
Lol found the PC e-thug. Making threats from your keyboard. Put those twitter fingers away.

Irony is thick with this gem. You’d never be brave enough to say this to my face in person. It must be very comfortable behind your keyboard.

You want to take a shot at me that’s fine I’ve been dodging bullets for years on here. But if you use my kids to insult me I won’t stand for it. Especially from a passive-aggressive old geezer who likes to talk about civility.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Irony is thick with this gem. You’d never be brave enough to say this to my face in person. It must be very comfortable behind your keyboard.

You want to take a shot at me that’s fine I’ve been dodging bullets for years on here. But if you use my kids to insult me I won’t stand for it. Especially from a passive-aggressive old geezer who likes to talk about civility.

Jimmy I’ll 100% say this to you at any UConn event. “Brave enough” who do you think you are Rambo?

Reaction Score
giphy.gif

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Re-read your own words to see what you wrote about your own child. My words portrayed him solely as a victim of your harsh characterization. Without you referring to him offensively or otherwise, I wouldn't even know that you had a child or care. In just about any other context, I agree with you that it's not my business.

I'm sorry for you misinterpreting what I wrote as me bringing him into the conversation. I'm sorry for him having a father who calls him a name I won't repeat. I wish him the best. Now shut up.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Louisville is a mess right now huh? They have gone through more embarrassing stuff in the last 4 years than I have ever seen a program go through in 10 years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom