OT: - "Papa John" out at Louisville | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: "Papa John" out at Louisville

Reaction Score
More context (and some irony)-- the call was to help him in responding to the negative pr coming out of his prior statements on the NFL flag protests. So the real context is that he was saying "what is the big deal? Colonel Sanders used to call black people ******s all the time and everybody loves that guy . . ."
Context and different standards for different people...Abe Lincoln was known to have loved telling black jokes around the White House.

Reaction Score
When does the ACC say "enough is enough" with Louisville? They continue to embarrass the league, but I guess once you're in the club, there are no rules.

right after the BIG does the same as to RU; likely never

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hilarious. The REAL context was him defending himself by using what someone else said, and in doing so casually and gratuitously using the actual n-word -- as if that's something people do on an important conference call aimed at repairing the damage he or she has already caused.

This isn't PC run amok. This a guy being canned for cause. Sorry RWNJs.
Agree, with the comment that if you are on a conference call with image consultants, they probably shouldn't drop a dime on you.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I might not have read it correctly, but I got the impression that he was referencing what Colonel Sanders said as an example of something bad and not defending such comments or making them anew. I don't like him or his pizza, and there was a reason why they'd set up a call to address these issues, but I don't think it went down live in the way some have portrayed it here.

Why would anyone want to carry Papa John's water?

Reaction Score
Read somewhere he’s going to the “I was hammered card” when this all went down. Couple of months at Betty Ford and he’ll be back as the face of Louisville Athletics which if you think about it is probably the way it should be....

Reaction Score
Buying PZZA stock on Wednesday was easy money. Nice steak dinner tonight, boys.

Always buy when an owner gets caught for some stupid crap in today's society. The stock tanks for a day or a week and then bounces way up when the company inevitably fires them.

Wynn was the last one.

Reaction Score
Bigger problem... the Football Stadium is named Papa John’s Cardinal Football Stadium and Schattner holds the naming rights.

The Details On That Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium Deal

>>If John Schnatter ever leaves the pizza company he founded, he can take the name of Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium with him.

If he wants to rename it after himself, someone close to him or a different business enterprise, well, he can do that too.

Control of the stadium’s name is just one of the perks the University of Louisville granted Schnatter in an agreement inked 20 years ago.<<

How awesome is THAT! :D
Love stuff like this...right up there with the Sox paying Manny for another 8 years or so....

Reaction Score
When does the ACC say "enough is enough" with Louisville? They continue to embarrass the league, but I guess once you're in the club, there are no rules.

This stuff hardly bothers the conferences and they certainly won't take drastic steps like trying to move a school out. I still remember Fr. Leahy stating that BC's decision to join the ACC was primarily driven by academics. It was a ridiculous statement back then and it's proven to be even more ludicrous now. Academics, ethics, integrity.............please, it's all $$$$$$$$$$$$$

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
This stuff hardly bothers the conferences and they certainly won't take drastic steps like trying to move a school out. I still remember Fr. Leahy stating that BC's decision to join the ACC was primarily driven by academics. It was a ridiculous statement back then and it's proven to be even more ludicrous now. Academics, ethics, integrity...please, it's all $$$$$$$$$$$$$

but it's an easy sell to the uneducated because you just say Duke, UNC etc.

Kinda like how owners can trick fans into thinking a salary cap or draft is about competitive balance rather than $$$$$$$.

Reaction Score
Hilarious. The REAL context was him defending himself by using what someone else said, and in doing so casually and gratuitously using the actual n-word -- as if that's something people do on an important conference call aimed at repairing the damage he or she has already caused.

This isn't PC run amok. This a guy being canned for cause. Sorry RWNJs.
I don't think you should never be able to use this word or any other word. Still, this was not the correct context to use it in.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Why would anyone want to carry Papa John's water?
I don't know, but if you're somehow interpreting me as having done so, you're mistaken.

The accuracy of the reporting remains worthy of consideration. Too many headlines and characterizations overreach these days, and it's not helpful. His words were stated, captured, quoted, corroborated, and all of this carried
an appropriate consequence. That's good enough, in this instance, for me, without adding components that don't seem verifiable and support competing polarizing narratives such as we've seen within this thread.

And I still don't like his pizza or his personality.

Reaction Score
Bigger problem... the Football Stadium is named Papa John’s Cardinal Football Stadium and Schattner holds the naming rights.

The Details On That Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium Deal

>>If John Schnatter ever leaves the pizza company he founded, he can take the name of Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium with him.

If he wants to rename it after himself, someone close to him or a different business enterprise, well, he can do that too.

Control of the stadium’s name is just one of the perks the University of Louisville granted Schnatter in an agreement inked 20 years ago.<<

Fixed that...

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Agree, with the comment that if you are on a conference call with image consultants, they probably shouldn't drop a dime on you.

True. Unless whoever was really giving them orders wanted Papa out for good.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I don't think you should never be able to use this word or any other word. Still, this was not the correct context to use it in.

You know, I really can't think of a situation where saying "the n-word" as a substitute for the actual n-word would not suffice. If I was writing an article about racism or reading aloud from a book that contained the actual word, that might be different. (I still might not use the word in the second instance.)

The fact that he, as I said, casually and gratuitously used the full word in this wholly inappropriate context leads me to infer it wasn't the first time he'd used it. And I suspect not always in reference to what Colonel Sanders may have said a half century ago.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We must always refer to the stadium as Papa John's
I won't.
It was dumb then, it'd be dumber now. The former reflected poorly on them, the latter would reflect poorly on us.
They've improved things.
BCU forever though.

the Q

Reaction Score
I won't.
It was dumb then, it'd be dumber now. The former reflected poorly on them, the latter would reflect poorly on us.
They've improved things.
BCU forever though.

Interesting.

why?

is this really any different than say "free shoes university" if we call it Papa John's?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Interesting.

why?

is this really any different than say "free shoes university" if we call it Papa John's?
I thought it was a stupid corporate promo name, so I'm glad it's gone. Nothing more complex than that. I'm probably inclined to dislike other corporate promo names at other colleges, but I don't pay attention. Personal donor names at colleges makes more sense to me. Disclosure: through a roundabout path, my daughter is completing her degree at UofL, so I have certain sympathies that I wouldn't expect from others here. I'm also the product of parents who met at Pitt, so there are limitations to my antipathy that they are in ACC while UConn is outside the P5.
Syracuse is a mixed bag due to some relatives & friends who are, though it was way better when we had undeniably surpassed them starting with Donyell.
Easiest to just hate on BCU.
And I wish Notre Dame had been left to the C7 Big East w/Indy football.

the Q

Reaction Score
I thought it was a stupid corporate promo name, so I'm glad it's gone. Nothing more complex than that. I'm probably inclined to dislike other corporate promo names at other colleges, but I don't pay attention. Personal donor names at colleges makes more sense to me. Disclosure: through a roundabout path, my daughter is completing her degree at UofL, so I have certain sympathies that I wouldn't expect from others here. I'm also the product of parents who met at Pitt, so there are limitations to my antipathy that they are in ACC while UConn is outside the P5.
Syracuse is a mixed bag due to some relatives & friends who are, though it was way better when we had undeniably surpassed them starting with Donyell.
Easiest to just hate on BCU.
And I wish Notre Dame had been left to the C7 Big East w/Indy football.

Fair enough.

I have no issue with companies throwing their money around like that. Their name is shown over and over again to the public. It's a lot of advertising.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom