Paige's Running One-Hander is Money | The Boneyard

Paige's Running One-Hander is Money

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s one of the hardest shots in basketball to perfect and one of the most difficult to defend, the running one hander where an offensive player shoots the ball heading towards the basket, usually in the lane, without using the backboard. It’s difficult to perfect because you’re essentially shooting at a moving target. Players sometimes short arm the shot so it grazes, or even misses the front of the rim, or they shoot it too hard, and it clanks off the back of the rim. The timing of the shot release is critical because there’s usually a big defender closing fast on the shooter.

At the same time, for the few players that can consistently make the running one hander, it is a tremendous offensive weapon that is difficult to defend. Paige has been making the shot since HS, and the bad news for Husky opponents is that she’s gotten even better at it.

Whether Paige gets into the lane curling around a ball screen or via an ankle-breaking cross-over dribble her timing, technique and awareness is exceptional. Like a basketball-playing chess player, she sees things before they occur. Paige has an explosive first step and her added muscle (Yes, I said muscle.) allows her to ward off defenders on her way into the lane.

Once in the lane Paige has several options depending on how the defense reacts. She can pull up for her also deadly mid-range jumper. She can continue to the basket for a layup. If the defense tries to collapse on her, she can find an open teammate. Two of Paige’s prettiest assists on Sunday came off penetration: once when she found Liv alone underneath after Arkansas triple-teamed her, and another time when she kicked out to a wide open Azzi for her first of many 3-pointers as a Husky.

By my count, Paige knocked down her running one hander 3 times against Arkansas on Sunday. Her technique is somewhat unique, and it is flawless. Paige converts her horizontal motion to vertical motion by essentially jumping off her left leg like she’s making a layup. Her shot is as soft as falling snow. She releases the shot high with her right hand, eliminating the possibility of the shot being blocked, even by a tall defender, and most often it finds nothing but net.

When I think of one shot associated with a particular player, the one that comes to mind is Kareem”s skyhook, a shot that he could make with either hand and was impossible to defend. I wouldn’t necessarily rate Paige’s running one hander with Kareem’s skyhook, at least not yet anyways. But one thing is obvious. Paige’s running one hander is MONEY!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am sure this thread will expand to include favorite plays. I really liked her ankle breaking drive off the opposite foot. Just so pure and reminds me of the same move against Park-Lane in the SH game last year (2nd game of her career) when some of her shots announced her as a true star to the world.

For convenience in identifying which plays people may like best, At the 4:55 mark

but in reality all 15 of her buckets (not to mention that blind pass out of the double team in the post etc) were at least elegant in use of screens etc and in most cases draw dropping. You would think that highlight reel took a whole season to compile.

I have watched it many times already and needed to watch it again to decleanse from the USF / TN game. :oops:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I finally got to see the game yesterday and Paige was unbelievable at all aspects of her game except she did not get a 3 ball. She only took one. Her defense and rebounding were great and her playmaking was outstanding. She finally said in the 2nd quarter Geno is gonna really get pissed at me in our halftime chat unless I start shooting. Well, she started to shoot and carried in into the 2nd half, and just wow!!! She is definitely a candidate for player of the year again. I remember when Walz coached the u19 and he had Hailey Van Lith and he would have Paige and her on the court at the same time. She would never pass the ball to Paige and was always looking for her shot. She is not a point guard. Paige is the ultimate point guard because she can do it all. It took the best defender in WCBB to shut her down in the Arizona game. She would rather pass first and her teammates know it. As Old dude said the weight rm has helped her on her drives to the hoop and she looked great on her post up from the right side with her little fadeaway. She should teach the posts on our team some moves I am sure she has more. The only thing I did not see from her game was the step back she was working on in videos but she really had no reason to use it the lane was open for business all night. Arkansas did not seem to switch on any of the elbow screens and that is surprising since it is I think our main option in the offense for all of our guards. They did not run that for Azzi at all. They right now are using her as a floor spreader so there is more to come there as well. I think Geno use the game to work on the defense. He did not use a zone or a press which surprised me but the man knows what he is doing by now!

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
She should teach the posts on our team some moves I am sure she has more.
Not the first time saying this here, but she has a really sweet one-legged fadeaway on the post and I'm looking forward to seeing her use it again.
The only thing I did not see from her game was the step back she was working on in videos but she really had no reason to use it the lane was open for business all night.
After the game one of her trainers, Alex, (re)posted a story on Instagram with PB's stat line with the 'hush' emoji. This is probably looking too much into it, but I'd like to believe that they trained on something, maybe a certain move and PB has yet to use it, not showing all her cards yet; or, it could just be telling the doubters to shut it, but the former sounds better to me :D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is another Husky with a very good running one-hander, although her technique is more of an improvisation than Paige's repetitive technique. Evina has made a lot of seemingly awkward one handers when she penetrates the lane and sort of flings the ball toward the basket, starting from her side, almost as an afterthought. You would think that shot would not be particularly accurate, but Evina seems to make them all the time.

Reaction Score
It's impossible to quantify Paige's talent. Her game v. Ark. was simply spectacular. I remember gasping out loud when she drove to the basket and switched hands in mid-air to score. It was beyond physically astounding; it was beautiful.
There's a kind of poetry in great athletes, which one rarely gets to witness because so few are as above and beyond as Minnesota Slim.
The Hog wash told us that whatever Bueckers wants to do, she can. Easily.

Reaction Score
It’s one of the hardest shots in basketball to perfect and one of the most difficult to defend, the running one hander where an offensive player shoots the ball heading towards the basket, usually in the lane, without using the backboard. It’s difficult to perfect because you’re essentially shooting at a moving target. Players sometimes short arm the shot so it grazes, or even misses the front of the rim, or they shoot it too hard, and it clanks off the back of the rim. The timing of the shot release is critical because there’s usually a big defender closing fast on the shooter.

At the same time, for the few players that can consistently make the running one hander, it is a tremendous offensive weapon that is difficult to defend. Paige has been making the shot since HS, and the bad news for Husky opponents is that she’s gotten even better at it.

Whether Paige gets into the lane curling around a ball screen or via an ankle-breaking cross-over dribble her timing, technique and awareness is exceptional. Like a basketball-playing chess player, she sees things before they occur. Paige has an explosive first step and her added muscle (Yes, I said muscle.) allows her to ward off defenders on her way into the lane.

Once in the lane Paige has several options depending on how the defense reacts. She can pull up for her also deadly mid-range jumper. She can continue to the basket for a layup. If the defense tries to collapse on her, she can find an open teammate. Two of Paige’s prettiest assists on Sunday came off penetration: once when she found Liv alone underneath after Arkansas triple-teamed her, and another time when she kicked out to a wide open Azzi for her first of many 3-pointers as a Husky.

By my count, Paige knocked down her running one hander 3 times against Arkansas on Sunday. Her technique is somewhat unique, and it is flawless. Paige converts her horizontal motion to vertical motion by essentially jumping off her left leg like she’s making a layup. Her shot is as soft as falling snow. She releases the shot high with her right hand, eliminating the possibility of the shot being blocked, even by a tall defender, and most often it finds nothing but net.

When I think of one shot associated with a particular player, the one that comes to mind is Kareem”s skyhook, a shot that he could make with either hand and was impossible to defend. I wouldn’t necessarily rate Paige’s running one hander with Kareem’s skyhook, at least not yet anyways. But one thing is obvious. Paige’s running one hander is MONEY!
The Bullets had a guy named Kevin Porter. Smallish quick guard. Unconventional, couldn't really catch and shoot well, but he could score 500 ways penetrating with those soft shots around the rim. Anyone remember him? After Monroe. But the Bullets were still good. Come to think of it, they were always good. (overshadowed by the Celtics and Knicks)

Reaction Score
Probably among the best, if not the best, and ,most interesting technical posts this year.

But, more muscle? Perhaps. Reminds me of the latest Dune movie-

"You've put on more muscle"

"Really?"

"NO"

Paige does seem to be playing stronger

Reaction Score
Probably among the best, if not the best, and ,most interesting technical posts this year.

But, more muscle? Perhaps. Reminds me of the latest Dune movie-

"You've put on more muscle"

"Really?"

"NO"

Paige does seem to be playing stronger
Better known as "wiry". There was a guy that wore #23 that would have been considered wiry. How about #6 for the Celts. Heard of "the Iceman"?.........other examples? Kareem?

Reaction Score
Her ability to consistently make her one handed floater/runner/teardrop in all different areas of the court is so impressive. That used to be my go to move too…I made about 5% of them so I can really appreciate the difficulty and how she makes it look so easy.
Great analysis and post

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
When you make a tough 1 hander, you probably will have a great game. You make that shot when your body and mind feel great.

Reaction Score
There is another Husky with a very good running one-hander, although her technique is more of an improvisation than Paige's repetitive technique. Evina has made a lot of seemingly awkward one handers when she penetrates the lane and sort of flings the ball toward the basket, starting from her side, almost as an afterthought. You would think that shot would not be particularly accurate, but Evina seems to make them all the time.
Slashing was her game at Tenn. And yes I agree with you when she drives left and uses her right hand to shoot or pass of which she does well to the post player if the defender sithes to her. She is so solid right now in all aspects of her game. Hoping she stays healthy all year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom