Paige - What do you guys think? | The Boneyard

Paige - What do you guys think?

Reaction Score
I put this comment below in separate thread regarding team injuries, but figured I'd give it it's own thread. Anyone else feel this way?

"I'm personally worried about Paige playing back to back games this early in the season after coming back from all her injuries. Now with some other players down, it gives her less opportunity for a break.

To be honest, I'd rather just have her sit out the Kansas game. If we lose, who cares at this point? It's not like we aren't going to make the NCAA tourney. We have people dropping like flies again, we need to preserve Paige for the long run."

Reaction Score
Ok so she sit out in the Kansas game and the very next game she gets hurt. Makes absolutely no since after she's been sitting out and not playing on their overseas trip. I think Geno and staff knows when he should sit her for a game or 2. And you never know if we lose the Kansas game who's telling how many more we can lose. UCLA has a very good chance of beating Uconn

Reaction Score
I put this comment below in separate thread regarding team injuries, but figured I'd give it it's own thread. Anyone else feel this way?

"I'm personally worried about Paige playing back to back games this early in the season after coming back from all her injuries. Now with some other players down, it gives her less opportunity for a break.

To be honest, I'd rather just have her sit out the Kansas game. If we lose, who cares at this point? It's not like we aren't going to make the NCAA tourney. We have people dropping like flies again, we need to preserve Paige for the long run."
I think it doesn't matter what we think. Geno is ( we are told ) monitoring Paige's minutes. But the way this season is heading ( Jana gone; AZZI gone; Caroline not playing due to neck injury ), it would not surprise if we lose Paige again.

Reaction Score
For me it is the minutes per game. A tired athlete is more prone to injury. Thankfully the freshman are doing well and can supply some good minutes.

Agreed, I just feel like Geno is going to play Paige a lot of minutes against UCLA since they are ranked #2, and it would be a statement win.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if he does, I'd rather have her sit vs Kansas. I'm sure that won't happen, but we'll see.

Reaction Score
For me it is the minutes per game. A tired athlete is more prone to injury. Thankfully the freshman are doing well and can supply some good minutes.
Paige will want to play 30+ mins in each. Geno and the coaching staff will make the right call. I'm thinking 35 mins vs. UCLA [never give up the chance to defeat the #2 team in the land...] to ensure the win, and 20-ish minutes vs. Kansas to "work out" all the lactic acid issues vs. Kansas.

Reaction Score
I assume UConn has a competent medical staff and Paige has been cleared to play. It’s up to Geno and the coaching staff to manage her minutes because she is not going to take herself out of a game. People travelled to the Cayman Islands to see the best player in the country play. Manage her minutes properly and let Paige play.

Reaction Score

The only way they don't make the NCAA Tourney is by finishing third or lower in the Big East Tourney, are you really expecting that

Reaction Score
The good thing is that it isn’t ranked opponents back-to-back. Having to face UCLA and LSU would’ve been a problem. This isn’t to say Kansas won’t be a tough opponent, but the draw could’ve been a lot worse.

Reaction Score
The only way they don't make the NCAA Tourney is by finishing third or lower in the Big East Tourney, are you really expecting that

No, I said it's not like we aren't going to make the tournament. Of course we are. Hence why I wouldn't mind if she sat out the game against Kansas.

Reaction Score
Paige is in the best shape of her life. If the doctors and training staff had worries Geno would know and would do what was necessary. She will play and hopefully play well. So will all of the other driven, ready to play athletes that make up this team. Our job is to worry about them and hold our breath. Let them do theirs and let us do ours.

Reaction Score
Paige knows her limits, I would assume her court time is determined by her (with Geno's approval :) )

Reaction Score
Wonder if any of the UCLA players are planning to sit out their second game tomorrow
Or Maybe Kim is going to sit Morrow or Reese tomorrow
Paige is invaluable to this team, no doubt about that
But she’s gonna play in the games
Count on it

Yeah, on second thought, lets just throw her out there for 40 mins both games!

Reaction Score
[ ] Players want to play.
No, I said it's not like we aren't going to make the tournament. Of course we are. Hence why I wouldn't mind if she sat out the game against Kansas.
No personal attack but you seem to have a fortune tellers take on all things UConn women's basketball. That and a very cloudy Cristal ball.
Paige has to play period........ in any and all games available. Long story short. You can protect but you can not preserve players, when ready and cleared for action medically they need to see he floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
[ ] Players want to play.

No personal attack but you seem to have a fortune tellers take on all things UConn women's basketball. That and a very cloudy Cristal ball.
Paige has to play period........ in any and all games available. Long story short. You can protect but you can not preserve players, when ready and cleared for action medically they need to see he floor.
I sorta agree with you, but let me add that you cannot play Paige into the ground either. Her first knee injury happened with about 1.5 minutes remaining in the game. She was completely gassed, stepped wrong and her knee buckled. She should not have been in the game at that point. I worry that now the load on her shoulders has increased by a factor of 3 that she might get into the same state of exhaustion again. I'd rather lose the game than have Paige play into another injury. Play - yes, for 35+ minutes - no.

Reaction Score
I'm sensitive to all of your sense of the need to protect Paige, at least to the extent of not wearing her out needlessly. But I think this Kansas game is actually more important for the team and team culture than the UCLA game was. Maybe Paige doesn't need to play more than 30 mins, but I think the freshmen would benefit from playing alongside her. And the team culture as a whole might suffer if she were not to play.

Reaction Score

We all should worry. She had to play much too much yesterday. She was the entire offense. And much of the defense, and rebounding as well. By game end, she looked like she had played the entire season. Skinny and gaunt again, not robust and full of energy. If her teammates don't pick it up, she wont make it. Edwards was 2-12 ( one conversion a gift lay-up from a Paige assist ) and folded out. Ice was 0-5 and did nothing under the basket. Aubrey played " hesitation ball" except for about one 5 minute spurt. It was a slaughter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom