Paige Bueckers ACL injury. | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers ACL injury.

Reaction Score
Paige ha a tough road to recover ahead of her. Women are far more likely to injure the ACL than men. Some of that has to due with bone structure and native muscular alignment (quad vs hamstring strength).

My understanding is that strengthening the hips, quads and hamstrings becomes vitally important following the injury. Paige has a slimmer physique. Geno has often been overheard telling her to “get into the weight room”. Hopefully she will work hard to strengthen her legs. It is usually the second year following ACL surgery before an athlete feels fully recovered and ready to go all out.

So, this provides new challenges for UCONN’s recruiting / transfer efforts. How to make up for Paige’s absence this year AND plan for a less than full strength Bueckers next season.

Good luck and best wishes to her. Work hard!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If you watched some of the UConn WBB workouts, there are a number of exercises centered on strengthening the hips, quads and hamstrings. Undoubtedly, Andrea Hudy is well versed in the prevalence of ACL injuries among female athletes, and has structured her training regimen to protect against such injuries, to the extent possible.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Paige has been virtually major injury free throughout her young career up until last year. She may have thought this injury was a one-time deal based on her past, but this one may have a more profound effect on her. Now she knows that she in not infallible, so maybe she will be more cautions in her thoughts before she tries to come back from this injury. She must listen to others, rather than doing what she wants or feels at the time. Fourteen months to next October, plenty of time to heal before she should begin to totally work out. She cannot afford to be wrong with this rehab, as her future career stands in the balance. Please don't overdo this, because as I have already said, there is plenty of time until next year. We can wait for you to come back as your best self ever. God Bless you.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Paige has been virtually major injury free throughout her young career up until last year. She may have thought this injury was a one-time deal based on her past, but this one may have a more profound effect on her. Now she knows that she in not infallible, so maybe she will be more cautions in her thoughts before she tries to come back from this injury. She must listen to others, rather than doing what she wants or feels at the time. Fourteen months to next October, plenty of time to heal before she should begin to totally work out. She cannot afford to be wrong with this rehab, as her future career stands in the balance. Please don't overdo this, because as I have already said, there is plenty of time until next year. We can wait for you to come back as your best self ever. God Bless you.
Paige’s decision to return from her prior injury was based on the input and advice of the medical professionals who treated that injury. Had they argued against her return, there is no way Geno would have allowed Paige back on the court. I am absolutely confident that the same process will take place relative to this latest injury.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I believe that also, but as Geno has said many times, "Paige will be Paige".

Reaction Score
Paige was probably still growing in High School, and sports like basketball, are tough on growing joints, ligaments and tendons. I'm sure it's most likely genetic, but they don't train the same way in high school and they do in college.

Reaction Score
My heart breaks for Paige's parents. Can't fathom the anguish they must feel for their daughter. Not about basketball or the season or comebacks. It's about pain and injury to their child. Wishing Paige a swift and full recovery, and no more pain. For her parents' sake.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
paige is not particularly big. she is not particularly strong. she is not particularly fast. her hands are not particularly large. her hops are not particularly high. in a word, physically, she is not particularly unusual.
what she is tho, is particularly smart. like off the charts, basketball smart, and, since she did not hurt her brain, she will know not only what to do, but when to do it.
paige, and paige alone, will decide when it's go time. she knows her body best.
smart cookie, that one.
get well soon, paige, and eat more cheeseburgers, but you know that already, methinks.

Reaction Score
Assuming Paige may now stay with the Huskies for an
additional year, think of how next year's and perhaps
the following year's team could look like. Start with
Seniors Paige, Nika, Aaliyah, and , of course Aubrey.
The Future looks very nice! But as for now,
another year, another series of challenges = Go Team,
Everybody eats.

Reaction Score

« Brittis said an athlete can expect one to six weeks on crutches, bringing progressively more weight to bear on the repaired joint. She’d likely be able to jog straight ahead around three months after surgery, then transition a couple of months after that to more robust activity with pivoting.

The good news, Brittis said, is that athletes return to their previous level 95% of the time. »

Reaction Score

« Brittis said an athlete can expect one to six weeks on crutches, bringing progressively more weight to bear on the repaired joint. She’d likely be able to jog straight ahead around three months after surgery, then transition a couple of months after that to more robust activity with pivoting.

Having to stay on crutches for close to six weeks would be rare, unless there were other problems. I had two daughters with ACL tears and both of them were off the crutches within 10 -12 days. Same for a number of their friends.

Reaction Score
If you watch the ND game from last year again, now with the benefit of hindsight, you’ll see Paige take a number of hard hits in the second half. One notable one is a knee to the neck from Maya Dodson. These aren’t hits on her knee, and they aren’t dirty plays. But she took a pounding and it may have tired her out to the point of not running as carefully in the 4th quarter. When the injury occurs, or at least surfaces, she takes two uncertain steps just prior.

Reaction Score
paige is not particularly big. she is not particularly strong. she is not particularly fast. her hands are not particularly large. her hops are not particularly high. in a word, physically, she is not particularly unusual.
what she is tho, is particularly smart. like off the charts, basketball smart, and, since she did not hurt her brain, she will know not only what to do, but when to do it.
paige, and paige alone, will decide when it's go time. she knows her body best.
smart cookie, that one.
get well soon, paige, and eat more cheeseburgers, but you know that already, methinks.
My introduction to Paige was the first game of 2020-2021 against UMASS-Lowell.
Had never heard of her but she was being talked up and raved over during the pre/game.
Then I saw her warming up and was totally underwhelmed. She looked like a skinny 14 year old kid. Not physically impressive in the least.
What was all the hullabaloo about?
Then the game started.
After the first half I said “OK, now I get it”
If anyone can come back from this kind of injury and excel it is Paige.
It’s going to take a lot of patience and hard work.
We know she’s not afraid of the latter. It’s waiting till she’s physically and mentally ready that’s going to test her to the max.
Husky Nation is going to have to focus on the job at hand and the current roster which will have to make it happen.

Reaction Score
Having to stay on crutches for close to six weeks would be rare, unless there were other problems. I had two daughters with ACL tears and both of them were off the crutches within 10 -12 days. Same for a number of their friends.

That's just crazy to me, but like, good crazy. The body is wild, man.

When a bone breaks, you have to be on crutches for 6-8 weeks, but the return is much faster. When it's a ligament, you're repaired in days, walking a few weeks after that, but the return is much longer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom