Paige Buecker Bleecher Report Interview | The Boneyard

Paige Buecker Bleecher Report Interview

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Best basketball quotes (Alot of NIL and social equity stuff included as well)

"I'm feeling healthy," Bueckers said. "Last summer, I had the ankle injury, and then the knee injury during the season, so I'm excited to be healthy."

"The freshmen are really good," Bueckers said. "They're aggressive, they play hard, they play with energy. I'm excited to start playing with them more and starting to build chemistry with them."

UConn also brought in an impact transfer in Fairfield's Lou Lopez Senechal, who was the MAAC Player of the Year in 2021-22 and a three-time MAAC first-team selection.

"Lou's great. You can tell she's experienced and has been there before and done this," Bueckers said. "She fits right in really well. She's a great scorer and a great playmaker."

And her interactions with Sue Bird

"She's one of the greatest to ever play the game," Bueckers said. "Having her come through UConn, it's been amazing to build that relationship with her. She's so humble. She's so kind. She doesn't act any different because of who she is. She's still nice to us and super communicative with us. Last year after we lost was disappointing, but she actually talked to us after the loss and was super helpful in telling us that 'it's all part of the plan, it's all part of the process. And you'll look back in 10 years and think of how much you've learned from it.' She tried to help us stay positive in a moment where you can look at all the negatives. She's been super helpful with me just being able to have someone to talk to who has been there and done that and seen all the things that I have yet to see."

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
RE: Sue

interesting that paige seems to be so impressed that sue is just a regular person. gee whiz.

good for sue.

and it is nice to have paige confirm sue is not a jerk. paige, as usual, being thoughtful and gracious.

but it seems to me sue is simply being how a decent human being would be. sue acting as paige describes shouldn't stand out or be exceptional. i'd certainly feel sue feels that way.

but because she's deservedly admired for her accomplishments and become a celebrity and elevated in the eyes of the public, people somehow decide she (and probably all famous people) must be different from other folks: special, above it all, untouchable. so, it's a stunning revelation when they discover, like paige, that, my god, they are just regular humans, and act like that, not like jerks.

perhaps, in this era inundated with jerks, that is worth noting.

Reaction Score
So Paige held her own on the defensive end against Chet Holmgren? :rolleyes:
many analysts call Chet a bust. Too small, too skinny and can't overpower. Similar to Shawn Bradley.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
many analysts call Chet a bust. Too small, too skinny and can't overpower. Similar to Shawn Bradley.
I dont think today's NBA requires a player to overpower the other team. He is a skilled offensive player with a true 3pt shot and can clearly be disruptive on the defensive end. I guess he will have to bulk up some and just get used to being knocked on his ass but that means he will get FT's.

Reaction Score
He may end up as a bust but I don’t see the comparison to Bradley. Sure, they’re both tall and skinny but Holmgren is far more skilled. I certainly don’t expect him to be a dominant NBA player (perhaps shot blocking) but I do think he will be a solid contributor and will have a nice career if he can stay healthy. Prayers to Shawn Bradley by the way, as he suffered a major injury a couple of years ago and is now confined to a wheelchair.

Reaction Score
Chet wasted many summer afternoons on bb courts with his buddies, Paige and Jalen Suggs. He’s not just a lumbering big dude. He’s got handles and good shooting stroke. No way he grows up around those two without being pressed to develop skills.

That said, he’s way too skinny to dominate in the pros. But he could be a passable sixth man at the 4, maybe even the 3.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
RE: Sue

interesting that paige seems to be so impressed that sue is just a regular person. gee whiz. . .
I noticed that, too. I noticed it because that's what everyone says about Paige (who hasn't reached Sue's lofty heights, but is pretty damned special herself). The way I read it, Paige strives to be like that, knows how hard it is, and really admires Sue for achieving it.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Chet wasted many summer afternoons on bb courts with his buddies, Paige and Jalen Suggs. He’s not just a lumbering big dude. He’s got handles and good shooting stroke. No way he grows up around those two without being pressed to develop skills.

That said, he’s way too skinny to dominate in the pros. But he could be a passable sixth man at the 4, maybe even the 3.
Who knows, Maybe a Durant?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
There isn't an ounce of Shaun Bradley in Chet's game. This kids frame belies the fact that he's a playa. Period.

Reaction Score
There isn't an ounce of Shaun Bradley in Chet's game. This kids frame belies the fact that he's a playa. Period.
I watch men's bb, he got bullied by Arkansas players. Similar to Jalen Suggs getting bullied by Baylor players. Suggs had the worst Nba season of anyone in the Nba last season. You have to get strong or you'r not going to survive in the league.

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score

With the way fouls are called in the NBA, I think he'll be fine ala KD. If he bulks up a little like Steph did, I think he's going to be even better.

Reaction Score
Paige is Paige…practically perfect in every way.
Which means she’s smart enough to let Geno, CD, Jamelle, and Morgan mold just a bit more UConn history.

Maya was a mini-generation earlier and was unstoppable...lest we forget. A friend in Kansas City told me Maya had had a baby boy back in February. Maya Moore broke games by refusing to loose. And she had a crew to run with. Renee Montgomery was 2010’s “best point guard in the country” and Doty says the leader of that unbeaten team. And Tina was astonishing for long stretches against bigger, heavier bangers…all year long. Ah, the Final Four when she schooled the young 6’8” star from Baylor.

2009 and 2010 get overlooked and the vid quality requires old Huskies to gripe briefly then thank their lucky stars that UConnHuskyGames lives on.

They’re all so young, fast, and no one knows what will happen…then or in the future.

Reaction Score
This is who ESPN has made their lead NBA person? This interview was cringeworthy and Paige carried it. Her quips at trying to be funny were awkward at best; and I won't even talk about her inability to smoothly transition from one topic to the next.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Maybe it's just me, but it's uncanny how much her vocal mannerisms remind me of Stewie. Maybe 4-year starters speak in a different tongue than the rest of us!

Reaction Score
The GREAT majority of legitimate analysts do not think that he will be a bust. Almost all ranked him as one of the top three players in the draft. For example, NBA.com tracked 12 top rankings of players in the draft. Of the 12, Holmgren was ranked number 1 by 2 of them and number 2 by the other 10.

He is legitimately 7 foot tall without shoes and has a wingspan of over 7 foot five, so I’m not sure how you decide he’s too small. (And you weren’t talking about weight, since you put that in a different category.). He obviously needs to add some strength, but with his current skill set he will be a valuable player even as a rookie.

Holmgren is a tremendous shot blocker, handles the ball well and is a good three-point shooter. Also was the MVP at the U19 world championships last year. Another thing that will benefit him is that the OKC offense will be much much better for his style of play that was that at Gonzaga.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Paige is Paige…practically perfect in every way.
Which means she’s smart enough to let Geno, CD, Jamelle, and Morgan mold just a bit more UConn history.

Maya was a mini-generation earlier and was unstoppable...lest we forget. A friend in Kansas City told me Maya had had a baby boy back in February. Maya Moore broke games by refusing to loose. And she had a crew to run with. Renee Montgomery was 2010’s “best point guard in the country” and Doty says the leader of that unbeaten team. And Tina was astonishing for long stretches against bigger, heavier bangers…all year long. Ah, the Final Four when she schooled the young 6’8” star from Baylor.

2009 and 2010 get overlooked and the vid quality requires old Huskies to gripe briefly then thank their lucky stars that UConnHuskyGames lives on.

They’re all so young, fast, and no one knows what will happen…then or in the future.
...practically perfect in every way”?
Jeez..
Please try to tamp it down a little.
Just a little, please.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I have Holmgren fever. Seems OKC vs Memphis at 7PM on ESPN2 Got to see him.

Reaction Score
Some of these Chet's-a-bust hot takes are already aging real well:
you realize 99% of the players in the summer lg never make it to the Nba and most will be picking another career that isn't basketball after the tournament ends.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom