Paige at Point Guard a la Caitlin | The Boneyard

Paige at Point Guard a la Caitlin

Reaction Score
Here is a thought...with great shooters coming in and with Paige’s fabulous talent it a must she has the ball 80% of the time a la Caitlin ....she will be able to create for herself through screens and penetration....dishing to the shooters when she is doubled or tripled.
Paige’s talent are such that she can dominate better from this option.
Here is an option
E629931E-1642-4DDC-AA3D-5D096539ECCA.jpeg

Paige is #1....CW 3....2 Azzi....4# Ododa...5 EW or AE
It is a great option

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
UConn runs a variation your play but with the 1 sliding to the right and Paige as the 3 comes around the Olivia pick closer to the foul line. Aaliyah slides out and gets ready to crash the board. If Paige's defender goes under the pick she shoots a 3. If they switch she beats the big to the hoop. If weak side help closes she dishes. Nice play we ran it in high school in 1967.

Reaction Score
UConn runs a variation your play but with the 1 sliding to the right and Paige as the 3 comes around the Olivia pick closer to the foul line. Aaliyah slides out and gets ready to crash the board. If Paige's defender goes under the pick she shoots a 3. If they switch she beats the big to the hoop. If weak side help closes she dishes. Nice play we ran it in high school in 1967.
Yes but it has to be run like the Stockton-Malone option....but the main point is that Paige must bring the ball down almost all possessions.
it is more defined in this setup I posted.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Here is a thought...with great shooters coming in and with Paige’s fabulous talent it a must she has the ball 80% of the time a la Caitlin ....she will be able to create for herself through screens and penetration....dishing to the shooters when she is doubled or tripled.
Here is an option
View attachment 66752
It is a great option
Hmm. The BY's first Feynman diagram. :eek:

Reaction Score
I understand the process and benefits of analysis and value it/them...I really do. However, as a freshman, Paige has already broken/set a number of UConn records, including earning a spot on the wall if she graduates. She has accomplished a few other basketball things.

For example:
  • AP Player of the Year (2021)
  • Wooden Award (2021)
  • Naismith Player of the Year (2021)
  • ESPN.com National Player of the Year (2021)
  • Nancy Lieberman Award (2021)
  • First-team All-American – AP, USBWA, WBCA (2021)
  • WBCA Coaches' All-American (2021)
  • ESPN.com National Freshman of the Year (2021)
  • USBWA National Co-Freshman of the Year (2021)
  • WBCA Co-Freshman of the Year (2021)
  • Big East Player of the Year (2021)
  • First-team All-Big East (2021)
  • Big East Freshman of the Year (2021)
  • Big East Tournament MOP (2021)
  • Gatorade National Player of the Year (2020)
  • Morgan Wootten Player of the Year (2020)
  • Naismith Prep Player of the Year (2020)
  • McDonald's All-American (2020)
  • Minnesota Miss Basketball (2020)
  • USA Basketball Female Athlete of the Year (2019)
  • FIBA Under-19 Women's World Cup MVP (2019)
  • Four USA Basketball GOLD medals
And, she already has an extensive Wikipedia page, which supplied the above list.

Now, Java Daddy was a wise and accomplished caveman, and one of those jack-of-all-trades guys. He taught me how to fix, or figure out how to fix, just about anything. But the most valuable fix it advice he taught me was, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
If Azzi is as good as Paige, and every indication is that she is ( going out on a limb with that one), she has to start as Paige did this year. You can't have this kind of generational talent sitting on the bench to start. Nika would still play a significant
role as the backup for Paige. EW and CW would still start being backed up by Caroline and Saylor. ONO would also start, as Geno would not relegate her to the bench, being a 2 yr starter and senior. I do believe her minutes would lessen with Alya subbing, and Amari getting some PT to get her ready for some prime time experience. The bottom line is, Nika was inserted primarily at the beginning to give Paige the opportunity to create more, and shoot more. That purpose is moot with an even better shooter on board. Paige will be able to play her natural position, and IMHO think she will have an even better all around game next year.

Reaction Score
I understand the process and benefits of analysis and value it/them...I really do. However, as a freshman, Paige has already broken/set a number of UConn records, including earning a spot on the wall if she graduates. She has accomplished a few other basketball things.

For example:
  • AP Player of the Year (2021)
  • Wooden Award (2021)
  • Naismith Player of the Year (2021)
  • ESPN.com National Player of the Year (2021)
  • Nancy Lieberman Award (2021)
  • First-team All-American – AP, USBWA, WBCA (2021)
  • WBCA Coaches' All-American (2021)
  • ESPN.com National Freshman of the Year (2021)
  • USBWA National Co-Freshman of the Year (2021)
  • WBCA Co-Freshman of the Year (2021)
  • Big East Player of the Year (2021)
  • First-team All-Big East (2021)
  • Big East Freshman of the Year (2021)
  • Big East Tournament MOP (2021)
  • Gatorade National Player of the Year (2020)
  • Morgan Wootten Player of the Year (2020)
  • Naismith Prep Player of the Year (2020)
  • McDonald's All-American (2020)
  • Minnesota Miss Basketball (2020)
  • USA Basketball Female Athlete of the Year (2019)
  • FIBA Under-19 Women's World Cup MVP (2019)
  • Four USA Basketball GOLD medals
And, she already has an extensive Wikipedia page, which supplied the above list.

Now, Java Daddy was a wise and accomplished caveman, and one of those jack-of-all-trades guys. He taught me how to fix, or figure out how to fix, just about anything. But the most valuable fix it advice he taught me was, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
It is elementary Mr Watson....but it is about winning the Championship....Paige’s talents are not the point they are beyond the beyond. it is harder to double or triple when you bring the ball down....if they double the spacing allows to have the upcoming shooters to make the other teams pay.
Is broken because we did not win the ultimate goal for UCONN. A Championship. No second guess the great coaches just a passing thought.
Thanks.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Here is an option
View attachment 66752
It is a great option
Gold - this isn't OT so no need to label it as such. Anything Uconn basketball doesn't need that prefix.

That said, boy are you off base!!! :eek: :confused: :cool:

The real beauty of Uconn basketball is that it is an ensemble performance when it is at its best. The stat I look at that is most telling is assists: The career leader in assists is Moriah with a measly 659, the single season record belongs to Sue at a paltry 231 - neither of those numbers is anywhere near the NCAA leaders, and yet every year Uconn as a team is top ten, and usually top 3, and is the single season record holder for most assists. And Uconn has 9 of the 22 winners of the Lieberman award and the only school to produce more than one winner (5 different winners.) Uconn initiates offense from multiple positions and players on offense. Based on our own master of stats JRRRJ Uconn had 4 players averaging above 4 assists per 40 minutes this year and the leader was actually Evina at 4.95, followed by Paige, Olivia, and Anna. That is my definition of beautiful basketball. Paige will always be a focus on offense, but hopefully Uconn will continue to spread that focus minute by minute to everyone on the floor.

While I am sure Uconn will have many plays similar to that you diagram, I suspect they will be run for multiple people in each of the 5 positions, with variations on variations depending on how the defense reacts. And like Sue and DT switch responsibilities frequently when they played/play on the same teams, I suspect Nika and Paige and Evina and ______ will as well. The more roles each player on a team can and does play, the harder it is for an opponent to scheme defenses to stop individual players and the team as a whole

I think Caitlin is a wonderful player and I can't wait to see how she progresses, but I pray Uconn never plays a system as focused on a single player as Iowa did this year, and for Caitlin's growth I hope Iowa develops a more balanced team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is elementary Mr Watson....but it is about winning the Championship....Paige’s talents are not the point they are beyond the beyond. it is harder to double or triple when you bring the ball down....if they double the spacing allows to have the upcoming shooters to make the other teams pay.
Is broken because we did not win the ultimate goal for UCONN. A Championship. No second guess the great coaches just a passing thought.
Thanks.
Now you're talking! Expect that
Gold - this isn't OT so no need to label it as such. Anything Uconn basketball doesn't need that prefix.

The real beauty of Uconn basketball is that it is an ensemble performance when it is at its best. The stat I look at that is most telling is assists: The career leader in assists is Moriah with a measly 659, the single season record belongs to Sue at paltry 231 - neither of those numbers is anywhere near the NCAA leaders, and yet every year Uconn as a team is top ten, and usually top 3, and is the single season record holder for most assists. And Uconn has 9 of the 22 winners of the Lieberman award and the only school to produce more than one winner (5 different winners.) Uconn initiates offense from multiple positions and players on offense. Based on our own master of stats JRRRJ Uconn had 4 players averaging above 4 assists per 40 minutes this year and the leader was actually Evina at 4.95, followed by Paige, Olivia, and Anna. That is my definition of beautiful basketball. Paige will always be a focus on offense, but hopefully Uconn will continue to spread that focus minute by minute to everyone on the floor.

While I am sure Uconn will have many plays similar to that you diagram, I suspect the will be run for multiple people in each of the 5 positions, with variations on variations depending on how the defense reacts. And like Sue and DT switch responsibilities frequently when they played/play on the same teams, I suspect Nika and Paige and Evina and ______ will as well. The more roles each player on a team can and does play, the harder it is for an opponent to scheme defenses to stop individual players and the team as a whole

I think Caitlin is a wonderful player and I can't wait to see how she progresses, but I pray Uconn never plays a system as focused on a single player as Iowa did this year, and for Caitlin's growth I hope Iowa develops a more balanced team.

Thanks.
Now you're talking! Expect the bit of blowback that you got. What posters forget is that as fans we are allowed to have whatever expectations for the team that we want to have. I agree with your perspective that it is about NC's at UConn.
To me, as much as I like Nika, Paige goes back to running the team from the point. Geno needed her scoring this past year. Got to give props to Geno (or not) for seeing that and making it happen.
I for one don't like the passing game. It seems to stall against stronger, better defensive teams. (final 4) I don't like Liv at the high post. She's ineffective there. I don't believe you put people in places they are ineffective.
One more point (no pun intended): can't you run the "point" from any position? Larry Bird- point forward (wing), Nikola Jokic- point center. What if Nika did the dirty work tasks that she is so good at- pushing the ball, guarding the opposing point + team D, rebounding at the point and Paige runs the team from a wing, with Azzi on the opposite wing?

Reaction Score

The real beauty of Uconn basketball is that it is an ensemble performance when it is at its best. The stat I look at that is most telling is assists: The career leader in assists is Moriah with a measly 659, the single season record belongs to Sue at a paltry 231 - neither of those numbers is anywhere near the NCAA leaders, and yet every year Uconn as a team is top ten, and usually top 3, and is the single season record holder for most assists. And Uconn has 9 of the 22 winners of the Lieberman award and the only school to produce more than one winner (5 different winners.) Uconn initiates offense from multiple positions and players on offense. Based on our own master of stats JRRRJ Uconn had 4 players averaging above 4 assists per 40 minutes this year and the leader was actually Evina at 4.95, followed by Paige, Olivia, and Anna. That is my definition of beautiful basketball. Paige will always be a focus on offense, but hopefully Uconn will continue to spread that focus minute by minute to everyone on the floor.

While I am sure Uconn will have many plays similar to that you diagram, I suspect they will be run for multiple people in each of the 5 positions, with variations on variations depending on how the defense reacts. And like Sue and DT switch responsibilities frequently when they played/play on the same teams, I suspect Nika and Paige and Evina and ______ will as well. The more roles each player on a team can and does play, the harder it is for an opponent to scheme defenses to stop individual players and the team as a whole

Thank you
I totally understand your points
But the point is use Paige to distribute and be even more relevant....the goal is another Championship....sometimes you have to tweak and change with the times and personnel....John Wooden did that.

Reaction Score
Here is an option
View attachment 66752
It is a great option
I agree. The more plays with Paige involved, the better. Geno took the ball out of Paige's hands in the semifinal & the results were disastrous. Why are our Center/#4 playing at the top of the zone almost in a PG role?? Happened way too many times & cost us dearly in the semifinal game this year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, Caitlin and her great 2 person game lost in the S16 so that 80% usage was all for nought. AZ and their 80% usage of Aari only got them so far. Uconn and their reliance on Maya in 2011 only got so far. Uconn and their reliance on DT in 2001 failed. Uconn depended on too slow, too short Maria, Anne, and others in 2003 and 2004 and DT chose her moments and they won. 2013-2016 Uconn was a multi-headed monster and unstoppable. In 2017-18 they were multi-headed and a free throw away from playing for an NC each year. In 2019 and 2020 they weren't quite that good, and this year they were too young. In 1995 Uconn won, because everyone other than the 'stars' played a brilliant first half when a few foul calls derailed their leaders.

Don't see any reason for them to throw out what has worked so well for 11 titles - a team concept that relies on everyone doing everything, and not a star system that can be derailed by an off night, or a really good defender/game plan, or a bad day at the office for an official.

DT in 2003 - 23.5% of team assists, and 24% of scoring; 2004 25.8 of assists and 21% of scoring.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thank you
I totally understand your points
But the point is use Paige to distribute and be even more relevant....the goal is another Championship....sometimes you have to tweak and change with the times and personnel....John Wooden did that.
I agree and Geno certainly has done that, too. Adjusting the system and using the players he has. How he used Gabby Williams was brilliant I thought.

I just don't think overuse of any one player is a formula to consistently win. It makes teams too one dimensional.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, Caitlin and her great 2 person game lost in the S16 so that 80% usage was all for nought. AZ and their 80% usage of Aari only got them so far. Uconn and their reliance on Maya in 2011 only got so far. Uconn and their reliance on DT in 2001 failed. Uconn depended on too slow, too short Maria, Anne, and others in 2003 and 2004 and DT chose her moments and they won. 2013-2016 Uconn was a multi-headed monster and unstoppable. In 2017-18 they were multi-headed and a free throw away from playing for an NC each year. In 2019 and 2020 they weren't quite that good, and this year they were too young. In 1995 Uconn won, because everyone other than the 'stars' played a brilliant first half when a few foul calls derailed their leaders.

Don't see any reason for them to throw out what has worked so well for 11 titles - a team concept that relies on everyone doing everything, and not a star system that can be derailed by an off night, or a really good defender/game plan, or a bad day at the office for an official.

DT in 2003 - 23.5% of team assists, and 24% of scoring; 2004 25.8 of assists and 21% of scoring.
Yes but you cannot compare Iowa’s talent to UCONN they will never get blue chips like the Huskies....It was just a hypothetical idea I threw out there....Geno knows better than all of us and it was not meant to deny all the accomplishments from this incredible system and machine like program.

Reaction Score
The problem wasn't Nika; it was Olivia not being aggressive enough. It's just not in her nature.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Here is an option
View attachment 66752
It is a great option
No. N-O. No.

Reaction Score
If Nika starts then either Fudd or EW doesn't....
Role Playing Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG
not going to happen..........Fudd shoots better sitting down then anybody else on the team does standing up...............well on second thought Ducharme might take that one.........:rolleyes:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMO Nika is not a good ball handler Nor is she quick afoot. She is an aggressive player and a pretty good passer. Does occasionally get steals, but is unable to guard quick players. If Azzi is the shooter that she demonstrates in her videos and able to able to shoot like that in college, then if I'm Geno, I start her over Nika and have Paige and Evina handle the ball handling responsibilities. Christyn can also handle the ball, but she should not be the primary ball handler.

If I'm Geno, I'm also telling Evina to quite deferring to her teammates especially in the first half. Too many times this year, Evina would get the majority of her points in the 2nd half.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom