Paige and Andre the Giant | The Boneyard

Paige and Andre the Giant

Reaction Score
Thinking about Paige and the similarities.

Destroying the Opponent

Andre always looked like the gentle giant but once he got a hold of his opponent, it was lights out.

Acting Ability

Who can ever forget his - IMO - Oscar worthy performance in The Princess Bride. Some may not know that he had a debilitating back injury that caused extreme pain during the movie’s shooting. He fought thru the pain and performed at high levels.

Intake

No one had the ability to take on challenges like Andre. He would usually consume 5/6 bottles of wine during a single dinner. He could knock off a six pack in a matter of minutes. And, whenever his tag-team mates needed him to take over the match, he’d knock off a case of beer in 15 minutes.

Reaction Score
Say what?
Shocked Confused GIF by Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Destroying the Opponent

Andre always looked like the gentle giant but once he got a hold of his opponent, it was lights out.

Acting Ability

Who can ever forget his - IMO - Oscar worthy performance in The Princess Bride. Some may not know that he had a debilitating back injury that caused extreme pain during the movie’s shooting. He fought thru the pain and performed at high levels.

Intake

No one had the ability to take on challenges like Andre. He would usually consume 5/6 bottles of wine during a single dinner. He could knock off a six pack in a matter of minutes. And, whenever his tag-team mates needed him to take over the match, he’d knock off a case of beer in 15 minutes.
There was a great Sports Illustrated story on Andre maybe around 1980. My two favorite factoids from that story: He once drank 114 beers in a sitting. And a silver dollar could pass through the ring he wore.

I saw Andre wrestle Ken Patera around the same time in the New Haven coliseum. Andre had Patera‘s head tucked under his arm in a front face lock. Patera put an arm around Andre’s leg and STOOD UP. He lifted 450 pounds with his back, stood there with Andre on his shoulder for 5 seconds or so and body slammed him (five years before the famous Hulk Hogan body slam).

Reaction Score

Destroying the Opponent

Acting Ability

Intake

When my friend and I were 15 years old. We went to a WWF wrestling event at my High School. Drinking age was 18 at the time so we each decided to drink a bottle of MD 2020. After we snuck into the gym at the event. We sat in the 9th or 10th row of the bleachers right where the wrestlers walk out. We both were 6' & around 190 lbs. We decided when Andre the Giant walked by us. We both hit him as hard as we could in his left arm! All you saw him do was put that smile on his face right before he whooped someones butt! Andre was still a little taller than us and after the match stared at us with that smile and wagged his finger at us like he always used to do! I blame the MD 2020!

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I've eaten at Custy's several times, going back to when it cost $11.00. Then the story was about the Tanaka - Chief Jay Strongbow tag team each downing 26 lobsters.
I can`t tell you how happy I am that Chief Jay Strongbow finally got a mention on the Boneyard.

I have been waiting a very long time. Way too long.

But I`d really like to see some love for Arman Hussein and, of course, Baron Mikel Scicluna from the Isle of Malta.

Everything I know about geography I learned from Big Time Wrestling.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, I tried to let this one go, but I can't. Sorry if this turns into a rant.

Great story about Custy's; I can't imagine the reaction of the management when Andre walked in, quite likely with some other large members in his entourage.

It was real-life the many times that Andre broke bones in the ring. And when Rick McGraw broke his neck in the ring. And when Owen Hart died in the ring. (Yes, I know the latter wasn't during a match, but he's just as dead.) And when Ken Patera lifted a 400+ pound Andre the Giant onto his shoulder (see my previous post).

Just because the outcome in pro wrestling is predetermined, which is the case most of the time, doesn't mean the stakes aren't high, and it's certainly not make believe. Hulk Hogan said he feared for his life when he stepped in the ring against Andre in Wrestlemania III (when he was supposed to slam Andre, resulting in his retirement). That's how real-life Andre the Giant was. Hogan said Andre could have killed him in the ring, and there was nothing Hogan could have done about it, that's how much more powerful Andre was than any other wrestler.

For almost all grand tour riders, the outcome is predetermined because they're support riders, but those 2200 miles that they ride aren't make believe. From my own point of view, I've never entered a marathon with the delusion that I could win, but those 26 miles were not make believe.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There was a very silly two bout circus that pitted Muhammad Ali against a Japanese wrestler....very boring. And Chuck -the Bayonne Bleeder - Wepner against Andre the Giant. Wepner was 6’ 5” tall and looked like a midget. Andre hit him on top of the head, completely stunned Wepner, then picked him up like he weighed 10 lbs and threw him out of the ring. Fight over.

Find a picture of Andre holding a beer can. It looks like a thimble in his hand.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, I tried to let this one go, but I can't. Sorry if this turns into a rant.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because the outcome in pro wrestling is predetermined, which is the case most of the time, doesn't mean the stakes aren't high, and it's certainly not make believe. Hulk Hogan said he feared for his life when he stepped in the ring against Andre in Wrestlemania III (when he was supposed to slam Andre, resulting in his retirement). That's how real-life Andre the Giant was. Hogan said Andre could have killed him in the ring, and there was nothing Hogan could have done about it, that's how much more powerful Andre was than any other wrestler.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also heard that same story out of Hulks own mouth. I was never much of a fan of wrestling because we all knew it was predetermined. The out comes might have been fake, but Andre was not. They picked Hogan to take his place as champion. But no one could really have ever beaten him. What scared Hogan was that even knowing that he was supposed to win, he was not sure Andre would not change his mind. get ticked off and destroy him instead. What was fake in his matches was him not ending every match very quickly. They needed him to carry the other wrestlers to make the matches interesting. Andre would have been abnormally strong even if he was of average size.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
There was a very silly two bout circus that pitted Muhammad Ali against a Japanese wrestler....very boring. And Chuck -the Bayonne Bleeder - Wepner against Andre the Giant. Wepner was 6’ 5” tall and looked like a midget. Andre hit him on top of the head, completely stunned Wepner, then picked him up like he weighed 10 lbs and threw him out of the ring. Fight over.

Find a picture of Andre holding a beer can. It looks like a thimble in his hand.
I knew the scene in Princess Bride with Fezzik conking the guy on the top of the head was based on a real thing, but I couldn't call it up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom