Paige’s jump shot | The Boneyard

Paige’s jump shot

Reaction Score
i was marveling at a photo of pb taking a jumper over the opposition and was initially wondering if she actually was jumping that high or if the other player was crouching or something. then i saw the same play on the tele as a replayed highlight and it does appear that paige has some serious hops, which is especially interesting as many players do not even leave their feet when shooting a "jumper".

Reaction Score
There is an old HS video where she dunks a tennis ball. I wouldn't call those dunks but she can get to the rim. Her elevation and how quickly she gets up there is what makes her deadly on those midrange shots. And it was that elevation that was missing when she first came back.

sun

Reaction Score
i was marveling at a photo of pb taking a jumper over the opposition and was initially wondering if she actually was jumping that high or if the other player was crouching or something. then i saw the same play on the tele as a replayed highlight and it does appear that paige has some serious hops, which is especially interesting as many players do not even leave their feet when shooting a "jumper".
Her youtube channel showed some videos of her rehabbing after ankle surgery last summer.
She was going to trainers & doing special training to increase her leg strength.
She doesn't just sit around and relax, she's always working on her game to give her a performance edge.
Her NIL $ must help her to afford the additional costs.

Reaction Score
I prefer your original thread title -- PB J.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Paige is long, quick off her feet, has some serious hops and goes straight up for her jump shot, making it virtually impossible to block and extremely difficult to defend. In addition, she can get to her spot off the dribble, seemingly anytime she wants. Once Paige gets locked in, like she was Monday night vs NCSt, her midrange jump shot is virtually automatic.

Reaction Score
She has some seriousness quickness to her fakes that get her open, then pow, she stops on a dime and elevates like she was shot out of cannon, giving her a wide open look to the basket. She is indeed special, very special.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I see Jerry West's jump shot when Paige shoots.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Sure, she can jump, but it is also combined with her quick moves, and her deadly shot!

Reaction Score
Do you live in Perth, Australia? Diego Garcia?

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
An image from a New York Times article. A thing of beauty:
merlin_204805947_befc1012-9c4a-4f77-8b5e-0fa1ec20e631-superJumbo.jpg

Reaction Score
The jump shot is beautiful. ( especially when it goes in). In the picture, you can see a big defender waiting, if she decided to drive into the lane. Most players would do that, risking a block.
Paige has a unique ability to always stop before she gets to the defenders, pulls up and then shoots. She avoids charges, and the defense. She doesn't draw fouls ( like her friend from Iowa). I believe its how she developed her game to avoid injuries as she has always been playing against bigger and older players.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Paige's mid-range jumper may be the deadliest shot in the women's game. There is literally no way to stop it.

Her quickness to the spot combined with her ability to stop, elevate and shoot in a continuous motion is unbelievable.

With the advent of the 3 point shot, the mid-range jumper basically disappeared from the game. Paige is ushering in a return of the mid-range shot.

And fortunately for us, Azzi has the same ability.

Reaction Score
Paige's mid-range jumper may be the deadliest shot in the women's game. There is literally no way to stop it.

Her quickness to the spot combined with her ability to stop, elevate and shoot in a continuous motion is unbelievable.

With the advent of the 3 point shot, the mid-range jumper basically disappeared from the game. Paige is ushering in a return of the mid-range shot.

And fortunately for us, Azzi has the same ability.
By the way, huskeynut, your pseudo is my favorite on the BY.

I largely agree with your post, but I think Azzi and Paige are different players with different strengths, which is great for UConn. Azzi’s 3 point shot, as everyone knows, is one of the greatest. She’s better at the 3 than most players in the NBA. IMO. Paige, on the other hand, has a fluidity in movement and off-the-charts BB IQ that allows her to create her own mid-range shot in a way that might be unparalleled in women’s basketball.

Reaction Score
I've written this before, but hey... If you look at the shot selection data (ESPN), UConn (PB and in particular, but CW, too) they switched from 3s to mid-range and the shooting percentage went way up... almost double I want to say. I think they'll get these openings against Stanford.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom