Pac12 releases text of President's letter | The Boneyard

Pac12 releases text of President's letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
Simply put...S### or get off the pot!

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
How many of those points are some institutions willing to accept? You think SEC football schools want reduced practice time, reduced offseason workouts and freer movement between institutions? How many institutions are really going to accept freshman eligibility rules? How many P5 institutions right now, and unequivocally accept all 10 points in that letter? There is no way that the p5 breakaway is going to be done in unison. Some obviously want to do it for the right reasons and some want to do it just for the money.

Reaction Score
This is exactly the thing that's going to push the P5's to fill out their divisions to 16. They all agreed to break away and make their own rules and to hell with the other conferences. Now that they're getting their way they will be looking at each other and trying to get a leg up. Suddenly having only 14 in your conference may put you at a perceived disadvantage. Who knows what the 4 other conferences may want that hurts your conference. It could be any number of things. It's like cheating on your wife or girlfriend to get someone new. Your new partner has to wonder if you're going to do the same thing to them.

Reaction Score
This is exactly the thing that's going to push the P5's to fill out their divisions to 16. They all agreed to break away and make their own rules and to hell with the other conferences. Now that they're getting their way they will be looking at each other and trying to get a leg up. Suddenly having only 14 in your conference may put you at a perceived disadvantage. Who knows what the 4 other conferences may want that hurts your conference. It could be any number of things. It's like cheating on your wife or girlfriend to get someone new. Your new partner has to wonder if you're going to do the same thing to them.

I've wondered if that was part of the reason why Delany frequently threw population and numbers around when adding Rutgers and Maryland.

If perceived land mass is important it actually gives Buffalo (a very small) reason for hope. The ACC would "own" NC, maybe Virginia, but nothing else. I'm assuming Syracuse has a large following in upstate NY.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've wondered if that was part of the reason why Delany frequently threw population and numbers around when adding Rutgers and Maryland.

If perceived land mass is important it actually gives Buffalo (a very small) reason for hope. The ACC would "own" NC, maybe Virginia, but nothing else. I'm assuming Syracuse has a large following in upstate NY.

Buffalo? No.

Syracuse has a following in CNY. Not upstate.

Reaction Score
How many of those points are some institutions willing to accept? You think SEC football schools want reduced practice time, reduced offseason workouts and freer movement between institutions? How many institutions are really going to accept freshman eligibility rules? How many P5 institutions right now, and unequivocally accept all 10 points in that letter? There is no way that the p5 breakaway is going to be done in unison. Some obviously want to do it for the right reasons and some want to do it just for the money.
Greed is good; well perhaps for individuals. But put together a group of greedy people, or in this case institutions, and the result is never good and often littered with conflict and resentment. Still, can't wait to join the fracas on the side of the B1G.

Reaction Score
Buffalo? No.

Syracuse has a following in CNY. Not upstate.

Thank you. I'm from the capital region in upstate NY and besides Cuse alum's and their families, there is little Cuse following. It is certainly not New York's team, believe me.

Reaction Score
Thank you. I'm from the capital region in upstate NY and besides Cuse alum's and their families, there is little Cuse following. It is certainly not New York's team, believe me.

I lived in the Capital region for 5 years. Believe it or not, there are more Cuse fans out there than over here in Buffalo. I went 10 years here in the city with not a single mention of Cuse either in sports bars or playing basketball at the local rec center or on the soccer fields. But, then again, I have to say they came out of the woodwork for the NCAA tourney here in Buffalo. I thought the Cuse fans had to be out of towners, but many I met were from Buffalo. But, when Cuse lost, these fans rooted for UConn, so I had the sense they were really Buffalo people supporting the upstate team, but they weren't all that invested.

Reaction Score
I'm also in the Capital District and see FEW indications Cuse has a bigger following here than Siena!?! Maybe the Onandaga/Rochester area is there stronghold? Do they even have one?

Reaction Score
Dear Lesser Beings of the NCAA..

Behold a list of changes that will help.the PAC be able to.compete with the SEC. Support us and we'll smile and nod at whatever you say next

Signed
LA PR

Reaction Score
I'm also in the Capital District and see FEW indications Cuse has a bigger following here than Siena!?! Maybe the Onandaga/Rochester area is there stronghold? Do they even have one?

Rochester has more Syracuse fans than Buffalo, a lot more, but probably it's on the same level as Albany. I would bet anything that Watertown and Binghamton are the strongholds outside of Syracuse. Utica too.

Reaction Score
Buffalo still has pro teams. What could they care about Syracuse? Hope the Bills stay in Buffalo. The city of Buffalo has NFL roots going back to the start. So does Rochester.

Reaction Score
Buffalo still has pro teams. What could they care about Syracuse? Hope the Bills stay in Buffalo. The city of Buffalo has NFL roots going back to the start. So does Rochester.

Favorite Buffalo college teams:

1. No one.
2. UB
3. Canisius
4. St. Bonaventure
5. Syracuse

Reaction Score
By the way, Binghamton and Utica can hold up their own ends in different ways. Check out the attendance for D3 Utica Pioneers hockey and I am sure you know of the Bearkats. Syracuse's market is still very small, regardless.

Reaction Score
Rochester has more Syracuse fans than Buffalo, a lot more, but probably it's on the same level as Albany. I would bet anything that Watertown and Binghamton are the strongholds outside of Syracuse. Utica too.
Possibly right about that but Binghamton is just above Wyoming County in Pennsy where my mom was born and where PSU is absolute king of CFB so I would guess Binghamton is Penn St country followed then by ND due to the heavy Irish american population thereabouts in greater Scranton-WilkesBarre environ's!?!

Reaction Score

Ya Albany is where I am from actually and there are easily as many Siena (especially in the Fran McCaffery years) and UAlbany fans as there is Syracuse fans. Actually, when you combine them, there is many more.

Reaction Score
Ya Albany is where I am from actually and there are easily as many Siena (especially in the Fran McCaffery years) and UAlbany fans as there is Syracuse fans. Actually, when you combine them, there is many more.
Completely agree as I lived in Albany,Niskayuna and Schenectady areas even in Cuse's FB "heyday" and never heard or seen much interest!?! Over the holiday weekend I saw more UConn and block R's than anything Cuse related except for a 60's something neighbor who always wears a SU sweatshirt and when I questioned him on it he said he received it at a yard sale a few yrs ago when it didn't sell as a gift!?! LOL..I had to laugh though he didn't get my reasoning!They may have a small bandwagon BB following now and again during their occasional March runs and early exits but there not really fans with vested interest but just bandwagoner's!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
All these UConn tinted anecdotal research seems fairly absurd.

While not a perfect parallel, I feel like if we went on the cuse board and some guy said he lived in New haven and saw only Yale fans. Just seems kind of biased.

Reaction Score
All these UConn tinted anecdotal research seems fairly absurd.

While not a perfect parallel, I feel like if we went on the cuse board and some guy said he lived in New haven and saw only Yale fans. Just seems kind of biased.

Is the New Haven guy blind?

You overestimate Syracuse's popularity. New York is a big state with a lot of people living up here. While NYC residents consider it all upstate, the people who live up here divide it into regions. Catskills, Capital District, North Country, Central NY, Western NY, the Southern Tier.

I live 5 hours from Albany. That Cuse fan in New Haven can drive to Maine faster than I can drive to Albany.

Reaction Score
This is in reply to ConnHuskBask's above last post<>..... Very possible but if we were posting this on their board we'd easily get banned!! I was banned for stating a recruiting fact that they didn't like! Their board is not an exchange of thought's, idea's and facts but a cheering section u had better join in or go back where you came from!! At least here we allow a free flow of thoughts and idea's as isn't that what a college internet board supposed to encourage?

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm just saying that it seems fairly unbelievable that programs like buffalo, sienna and albany could have more fans in region with a name team like Syracuse.

If we're going to sit here and proclaim to be new England's team, etc. and statements like that, then it's hard to rationalize how low majors have more fans than cuse. Also the comments of never seeing a cuse fan in some of the areas you mention just seems unbelievable.

Reaction Score
I'm just saying that it seems fairly unbelievable that programs like buffalo, sienna and albany could have more fans in region with a name team like Syracuse.

If we're going to sit here and proclaim to be new England's team, etc. and statements like that, then it's hard to rationalize how low majors have more fans than cuse. Also the comments of never seeing a cuse fan in some of the areas you mention just seems unbelievable.

Syracuse is not FROM this region. That's my entire point. New Haven is much closer to Rutgers than Syracuse is to me. It boggles the mind that you believe a state that takes 7-8 hours to drive across belongs to one private school in the middle.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Syracuse is not FROM this region. That's my entire point. New Haven is much closer to Rutgers than Syracuse is to me. It boggles the mind that you believe a state that takes 9 hours to drive across belongs to one private school in the middle.

Yup exactly, I've noticed throughout my years attending UConn that people from Connecticut can't seem to grasp how big New York actually is.

Reaction Score
Yup exactly, I've noticed throughout my years attending UConn that people from Connecticut can't seem to grasp how big New York actually is.

As far as generalizations go, this is probably right on the mark. For lots of CT people, New York - means the city - and New York State is an entirely different place, that you sometimes need to drive or take a train through for short distances to get to New York. Anything west or north of the city otherwise is New Jersey or Pennsylvania to most Connecticutians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom