PAC12 & Big 12 playing footsies… | The Boneyard

PAC12 & Big 12 playing footsies…

Reaction Score
Sure they can play footsie, but it won't stop B1G from raiding top media properties in the PAC-12 since they got nowhere else to go for now until the ACC GOR expires.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
ESPN is watching all of this and just sitting back as the exit fees for Texas and OU disappear as the Big 12 goes away before 2025.

Plotting The Simpsons GIF

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

A day after Pac-12-Big 12 merger talk, which way could the @pac12 go in realignment? Commissioner George Kliavkoff says his phone has "blown up."

OMG! Bowlsby put a bomb in his phone?!!

Reaction Score
I get a kick out of schools like WSU - thinking anyone in the rest of the country actually cares about them.
To be fair, teams like Wazzou haven’t been really disabused of that notion by the way college sports media covers the P5 in broadest strokes.

Many teams are going to find said notion to be disabused rather suddenly and without warning. Just like the current remnants of the Texas Ten are finding out right now.

Reaction Score
would have rathered a PAC and BIG10 scheduling alliance and for the big12 to backfill with aac teams. an alliance w/ big12 only helps if no other schools i.e. KU and OK st leave first.

Reaction Score
BYU and Boise are more valuable to the Pac12 than any remaining 12 school.
I agree on BYU (scheduling headaches aside) but Boise? I'm not disagreeing rather I'm surprised they would bring anything of value to the table other than a good record in football.

Reaction Score
BYU and Boise are more valuable to the Pac12 than any remaining 12 school.
I agree that BYU has a fan base and they could compete in football, but Boise St. would not be Boise St. in the PAC12. Since 2012, Boise St. is 13-12 against the P5 and BYU and 6-5 against PAC12 teams. Of course Boise could recruit better in the PAC12.
Look at Utah. They were a solid add to the PAC12, but they are 45-41 against PAC12 teams and they have averaged 5 losses per year (excluding 2020) although they have finished the season ranked 4 times. That said, Utah has not moved the media rights value for the PAC12.

Reaction Score
The trigger might have to be ACC defection by Clemson. Then ND becomes realistic for B1G. Then more moves become necessary for both leagues especially if FSU is involved. I have some doubts about another FL team in the SEC, or whether it has to be FSU. Right now we have no clue if anything serious has been agreed to in principle, but the first move injects a sense of urgency to the ACC, B1G, and PAC. Any shakeup in the ACC is good for UConn. So in this case I'm rooting for greed because it's the current reality anyway, and it's about time we benefitted from it.

Reaction Score
Are we benefiting if the big money schools leave the ACC before we get there? We need to win football games and see if we can be a model for profitable independence for schools not named ND.

Reaction Score
The trigger might have to be ACC defection by Clemson. Then ND becomes realistic for B1G. Then more moves become necessary for both leagues especially if FSU is involved. I have some doubts about another FL team in the SEC, or whether it has to be FSU. Right now we have no clue if anything serious has been agreed to in principle, but the first move injects a sense of urgency to the ACC, B1G, and PAC. Any shakeup in the ACC is good for UConn. So in this case I'm rooting for greed because it's the current reality anyway, and it's about time we benefitted from it.

Greed is everything in college football. There is no way Clemson and FSU will standby while watching SEC annual payment to teams blowing past the ACC. ACC signed a horrible media deal with ESPN, and they will suffer for this. The only thing preventing FSU and Clemson defections right now is the GoR. Unless Clemson and FSU can figure out an escape latch, ACC has 15 years to figure this out.

ACC blowing up is good for UCONN, so we should all hope that's the case.

Reaction Score
Are we benefiting if the big money schools leave the ACC before we get there? We need to win football games and see if we can be a model for profitable independence for schools not named ND.

I am leaning towards this. We need to make this independent model work so more schools can sign up for this. When there are many independent schools, it will be easy to schedule interesting games.

Staying in a conference at the whim of some big fanbase school is not a way to survive long term. The best plan for UCONN long term is becoming one of the big fanbase schools so we can stand on our own.

Reaction Score
I get a kick out of schools like WSU - thinking anyone in the rest of the country actually cares about them.
Recall that Wake Forest was also loud during the last round. The schools hanging on by a thread pretty much have to stick their necks out in favor of staying together.

Reaction Score

I am leaning towards this. We need to make this independent model work so more schools can sign up for this. When there are many independent schools, it will be easy to schedule interesting games.

Staying in a conference at the whim of some big fanbase school is not a way to survive long term. The best plan for UCONN long term is becoming one of the big fanbase schools so we can stand on our own.
once the top 30-40 football schools break away and form their own division, with each individually able to contract with amazon/google/facebook for subscription streaming services, the only option i see/hope to see, is for the remaining p4/g6 schools to huddle up and reorganize into geographically logical conferences again. they will benefit from the power of collective bargaining since they weren't deemed valuable to broadcasters/streamers as individual entities. at a certain point being in a conference and having rivalries becomes worth it again (ie UConn in the BE). so yes we will benefit if football good enough to be invited to the newly reconstituted ACC circa 2037 or whenever Clemson/FSU/Louisville/Miami/Vtech leave.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
once the top 30-40 football schools break away and form their own division, with each individually able to contract with amazon/google/facebook for subscription streaming services, the only option i see/hope to see, is for the remaining p4/g6 schools to huddle up and reorganize into geographically logical conferences again. they will benefit from the power of collective bargaining since they weren't deemed valuable to broadcasters/streamers as individual entities. at a certain point being in a conference and having rivalries becomes worth it again (ie UConn in the BE). so yes we will benefit if football good enough to be invited to the newly reconstituted ACC circa 2037 or whenever Clemson/FSU/Louisville/Miami/Vtech leave.

In 15 years none of this will matter. UConn needs to restore Huskymania and be prepared to get its own subscribers. We have two big issues, winning football games and finding a prodigy to follow Geno on the women’s side. The women are worth a ton of money in terms of subscriptions. Their following in effect makes CT a “bigger” state. They bring a large group of fans that no other state has. They bring $ in terms of subscribers.

Reaction Score
In 15 years none of this will matter.
why doesnt it matter? the teams that dont break away to form their own division (which will certainly not include UConn) will still be playing football, so how are they going to organize? are you saying everyone but the 30 teams invited to division 4 or whatever will opt to go independent rather than be associated with a conference?

i dont mean conferences as the term is used today. maybe the GORs would only apply to 1st tier rights and the schools would retain 2nd and 3rd tier for independent subscription services.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom