OT - PAC 12 teams ranked #1 | The Boneyard

OT - PAC 12 teams ranked #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I was surprised to find out that the PAC12 has the #1 ranked team in 5 fall sports; not the most important sports in the world, but still:

- Stanford, #1, Women's Volleyball
- UCLA, #1, Men's Soccer and Women's Soccer
- Colorado, #1 Men's Cross Country
and Men's Water Polo, where the PAC has #1 through #4.

Although not a lot of teams actually play men's water polo, that's impressive. Also, at the time of the article, Oregon was #2 in football and Oregon (I think) was #2 in Women's Cross Country.

I know that PAC takes a lot of hits for its relative strength of conference; also, I realize that the B1G has apparently surpassed them in Women's Volleyball and the SEC in Softball, 2 former strongholds. Still, I'm impressed.

Reaction Score
You should look up what top 3 schools have the most NCAA championships.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am always impressed with Stanford's athletic success because of the stringent academic requirements (that they really do adhere to) for athletic scholarships. While the reputation of the school definitely helps recruiting, it also reduces the pool of possible recruits by 90+% in some sports. The other Pac schools run the same gamut of the other power five conferences.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I was surprised to find out that the PAC12 has the #1 ranked team in 5 fall sports; not the most important sports in the world, but still:

- Stanford, #1, Women's Volleyball
- UCLA, #1, Men's Soccer and Women's Soccer
- Colorado, #1 Men's Cross Country
and Men's Water Polo, where the PAC has #1 through #4.

Although not a lot of teams actually play men's water polo, that's impressive. Also, at the time of the article, Oregon was #2 in football and Oregon (I think) was #2 in Women's Cross Country.

I know that PAC takes a lot of hits for its relative strength of conference; also, I realize that the B1G has apparently surpassed them in Women's Volleyball and the SEC in Softball, 2 former strongholds. Still, I'm impressed.
I thought PSU was ranked number one in Volleyball? I didn't realize they had lost a match already.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
You should look up what top 3 schools have the most NCAA championships.
UCLA. Stanford. USC. (I knew 1 and 2 and looked up 3).

Even before moving to Tucson and becoming a Wildcat fan, I knew the PAC was very successful in a wide variety of sports. However, the current situation did surprise me, although I know UCLA has had some soccer success they aren't the team I think of (for a sport I don't follow), and I certainly wouldn't think of Colorado for cross-country.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I thought PSU was ranked number one in Volleyball? I didn't realize they had lost a match already.
Apparently, to Stanford. I saw it in an article.

I don't tend to read much on volleyball, but go to some of UA's matches and watch the better TV matches (don't have PAC12 network, however). There are a number of decent matches on TV Wednesday plus UA is hosting the school from up north that night.

Reaction Score
Does Stanford really follow their academic policies with football?? I find it very, VERY hard to believe that every one of their football players would get into that school if they weren't a really, really good football player.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Apparently, to Stanford. I saw it in an article.

I don't tend to read much on volleyball, but go to some of UA's matches and watch the better TV matches (don't have PAC12 network, however). There are a number of decent matches on TV Wednesday plus UA is hosting the school from up north that night.

yes, and it was a very exciting match. Stanford has a bunch of juniors who have just kept improving every year, though admittedly PSU has several freshmen starting so may end up much stronger at the end of the season than they were on September 5th.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I certainly wouldn't think of Colorado for cross-country.

Colorado has a long history success in cross-country. The book Running with the Buffaloes documents a season of the program where they're working toward a national title. It's really well-written and I found it interesting as a runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom