Pac-12 Network in disarray | The Boneyard

Pac-12 Network in disarray

Reaction Score
"it now appears the Pac-12 Networks is in full-blown, cost-cutting mode."

This analysis confirms what Pac-12 fans and followers have known for years, the Pac-12 network has been a complete failure. While other power 5 conferences have negotiated media deals to increase exposure and revenue Larry Scott continues down a path that appears to be headed toward failure. What is most concerning is the waste of time. Our conference has to overcome the time differential in terms of exposure and the continued ineptitude of the Pac-12 network really hurts.

"Scott is paid $5.8 million annually. Scott has justified that salary because he says he’s running both a conference and a media company. But both are now apparently struggling."

It's embarrassing to see the degree to which Larry Scott is apparently taking advantage of the Pac-12 schools for his own personal gain at the cost of elevating the conference of champions.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's an ugly picture.

They clearly took cost-cutting steps in the volleyball season, as I noticed that a large portion of the games were covered by only a solo commentator. The spring is surely when the fewest eyes are on the network. The viewership numbers for sports like softball, baseball, track and field, lacrosse etc. are paltry.

How is it that the university presidents haven't demanded Larry Scott's head on a platter? Such gross mismanagement. Just the exorbitant cost of a swanky headquarters in downtown SF should be grounds for a massive housecleaning.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Just guessing here and admit beforehand I might be wrong.
When I had DirecTV, it did not carry the PAC-12 Network. That was millions (?) of potential viewers and fans.
Could the failure of negotiations between the two parties have anything to do with the current situation?

Reaction Score
Pac-12 has its men/women basketball games all free for everyone. It is not a failure to me :p.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
On my Stanford board, 90 percent of fans have wanted Scott's head on a platter for the better part of several years now. It's hard to build exposure without exposure, and the PAC-12 network isn't carried in most households across the country.

Me personally, I love sling and haven't owned a TV in two decades, so no complaints here.
So, who are the powers that be who can be rid of this guy if all is so wrong in the PAC12 World? Is it a vote of the 12 schools and their Presidents/Athletic Directors or something else? Best guess is they would wait until after the NCAA Men's Tournament. What say you my fine Stanford Tree colleague?

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Pac-12 has its men/women basketball games all free for everyone. It is not a failure to me :p.

We just got access to the Pac 12 network a few months ago and I have enjoyed the Friday night WBB games in the conference. I hope the cutbacks won't affect coverage of the conference; the Pac 12 is shaping up to be a wild race.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
On my Stanford board, 90 percent of fans have wanted Scott's head on a platter for the better part of several years now. It's hard to build exposure without exposure, and the PAC-12 network isn't carried in most households across the country.

Me personally, I love sling and haven't owned a TV in two decades, so no complaints here.
Sling wasn't the best option for me. I've used both Hulu and YouTube TV and both meet my needs really well. Now that Hulu went up in price, I switched back to YouTube. I'd love to get the PAC-12 Network, but it isn't available on most services.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As a DirecTV subscriber - yes, I really resent not getting PAC12 networks.

And as long as DirecTV is my only source for NFL Sunday Ticket - plus that I get excellent quality - it will stay that way.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
So, who are the powers that be who can be rid of this guy if all is so wrong in the PAC12 World? Is it a vote of the 12 schools and their Presidents/Athletic Directors or something else? Best guess is they would wait until after the NCAA Men's Tournament. What say you my fine Stanford Tree colleague?
The ADs almost universally hate Scott, but for reasons we still don't totally understand, the university presidents are sanguine about him, and they, collectively, would make the firing call. I think part of this is that at the time Scott first negotiated the PAC-12 media rights packages, they were landmark in terms of $$$. Now they're second worst among the P5 (I think behind the Big 12?), facing budget cuts, and have limited national exposure.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Hmm...Pac 12 website appears to be down currently.

I'm kinda frustrated with what they've been broadcasting since conference play started. They could stagger start times of games, but nope, they are pretty much all at the same time. Friday night Kelsey Plum is making her broadcast debut for the ASU @ Washington game, and it's not even on TV. They are showing Arizona @ Washington St., and the games are at the same time.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Hmm...Pac 12 website appears to be down currently.

I'm kinda frustrated with what they've been broadcasting since conference play started. They could stagger start times of games, but nope, they are pretty much all at the same time. Friday night Kelsey Plum is making her broadcast debut for the ASU @ Washington game, and it's not even on TV. They are showing Arizona @ Washington St., and the games are at the same time.
Actually they are staggering Friday's start times to show two games on the flagship network: Utah-Colorado at 5:30 PT and then UCLA-USC at 7:30. The ASU-UW game at 7:00 will be on Pac-12 Arizona, which you should be able to get as well (if nothing else through the Pac-12 app).

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Actually they are staggering Friday's start times to show two games on the flagship network: Utah-Colorado at 5:30 PT and then UCLA-USC at 7:30. The ASU-UW game at 7:00 will be on Pac-12 Arizona, which you should be able to get as well (if nothing else through the Pac-12 app).
Wait, what? I thought you said they were showing two games, besides UCLA and USC, who is the other game that matters? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Have you seen a TV recently? They’re pretty nice nowadays, and relatively inexpensive.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Monique Billings will also make her broadcast debut, on Jan. 24th for the Washington St. vs. USC game.

Handful of former Pac 12 players apparently aren't playing overseas this WNBA off season.

Reaction Score

Interesting article. Michael Crow president of ASU and one of the strongest supporters of Larry Scott is under consideration become president of the CAL system. The president of the CAL system does not have a vote on the commissioner of the Pac-12.

Article reveals Crow's support for Larry Scott over the years. Crow was on the committee that originally hired Scott and has vocally supported ihim ever since.

Should Crow move on I wonder if this spells the beginning of the end for Larry Scott. And perhaps some improvement in media revenues to the PAC 12 schools.

Reaction Score
As a DirecTV subscriber - yes, I really resent not getting PAC12 networks.

And as long as DirecTV is my only source for NFL Sunday Ticket - plus that I get excellent quality - it will stay that way.
I would like to switch from DirecTV to DISH which has PAC-12 Network and be able to drop Sling but I am afraid of not getting SNY

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have ATT Uverse and live in Los Angeles. I've got no access to the Pac-12 network. I get the SEC, ACC, B10, and BYU networks, but not the Pac-12

Reaction Score
I have ATT Uverse and live in Los Angeles. I've got no access to the Pac-12 network. I get the SEC, ACC, B10, and BYU networks, but not the Pac-12
I watch all Pac-12 women basketball games on-line in here free:

Not sure you can watch it or not? You can add a HDML cable and watch it in your TV.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I watch all Pac-12 women basketball games on-line in here free:

Not sure you can watch it or not? You can add a HDML cable and watch it in your TV.
Oh cool thanks. I will see if i can get to it from my PS4, which is what i use to get to the "internet" on my TV

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom