PAC-12 made a mistake by not expanding | The Boneyard

PAC-12 made a mistake by not expanding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I personally believe PAC-12 made a mistake not taking the Oklahoma schools. Sure they are not academically strong, but you just don't pass on a program like OU if they are available. Now PAC-12 might lose them to the SEC. PAC-12, unlike SEC and B1G, has less options for expansion down the road. Right now they are sitting pretty with their big fat TV contract. When it comes to 2021 when their deal is up for renewal, there is a good chance other power conferences will surpass them. We all know going to 16 will be just matter of time. 14 is not a good league number for scheduling etc. You either stay at 12 or go to 16.

Anyway, I wonder if PAC-12 will revisit adding Oklahoma schools soon before SEC makes its move.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This is an interesting game of chicken going on (and if it didn't have immense, direct ramifications on my alma mater I would be in facvor of the intrigue lasting for years). If the premise that everyone (in my opinion, correctly) is latching onto, that four sixteen member conferences is inevitable, the P-12 is very limited as far as legitimate candidates go while the two schools that have flirted with the P-12 twice only to say "We still like it in the B-12" will run out of credibility soon if they don't behave a bit more professionally when the day arrives that they have to legitimately consider moving to another conference.

According to most of what was published the summer before last (2010 expansion merry-go-round), OU would have joined the SEC with A&M if they could have divorced themselves form OSU. It would mak sense (and if lasty year's reports were accurate, also legitimate) that the SEC would grab OU in a second if they could do so without OSU. I imagine that the ACC would love nothing more than for the SEC to grab both OU and OSU to go along with the (reported) additions of A&M and Missouri. If the B-12 does survive this year, I wonder what shenanigans will be in store next summer.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I personally believe PAC-12 made a mistake not taking the Oklahoma schools. Sure they are not academically strong, but you just don't pass on a program like OU if they are available. Now PAC-12 might lose them to the SEC. PAC-12, unlike SEC and B1G, has less options for expansion down the road. Right now they are sitting pretty with their big fat TV contract. When it comes to 2021 when their deal is up for renewal, there is a good chance other power conferences will surpass them. We all know going to 16 will be just matter of time. 14 is not a good league number for scheduling etc. You either stay at 12 or go to 16.

Anyway, I wonder if PAC-12 will revisit adding Oklahoma schools soon before SEC makes its move.

The PAC-12 has a billion dollar television contract. The conference is in great financial stead.

Oklahoma, at this point, would likely not have gone without Texas. And Texas was not going to agree to a revenue share. Hence, the PAC-12 decided to pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro
Top Bottom