Pac-12 getting lapped by the Big 12 in the Revenue Department | The Boneyard

Pac-12 getting lapped by the Big 12 in the Revenue Department

Reaction Score
In comparison to AAC all is well but... Soaring Big Ten payouts put focus on struggling Pac-12 Networks

>>Big Ten: $51.1 million
SEC: $45+ million
Big 12: $37.5 million (does not include Tier 3 rights)
Pac-12: $32.5 million

That’s not a pretty sight for the Pac-12, which is getting lapped even by the Big 12 when Tier 3 rights are added to the mix.

The dollar disparity is crucial from a competitive standpoint (recruiting budgets, coaching staffs salaries and capital expenditures).

In regard to the Big Ten specifically (Pac-12 presidents/chancellors view the B1G as their one true peer/rival academically and through the Rose Bowl relationship): The distribution gap is essentially $19 million per school, or a $228 million, single-year conference-wide deficit.<<

Reaction Score
Any idea how much ACC teams get per year?

ACC experiences record revenue growth but gap remains wide as rich grow richer

>>In the ACC, each of the 14 schools that received a full share of conference revenue – every one except Notre Dame, which is a part-time member that remains independent in football – received an average of $26.2 million in conference revenue, according to a tax filing the ACC recently released. Notre Dame received $6.2 million.<<

There are other articles in threads on here...

Reaction Score
I suppose it is of some concern, but ultimately The PAC is protected both by its geography and by its core members' commitment to the conference. In choosing to go it alone with their network roll out, they have found that getting distribution is not easy without a major partner backing you, and that the start up cost of getting something of this scale up and running is extremely high.

Where they may have miscalculated was how limited the appeal for their product is east of the MTZ. I live in Pennsylvania. Sure I'll watch USC play Oregon in football at 8:00 on Fox Saturday Night, but I'm not calling the cable company to demand they add The PAC 12 so I don't miss Stanford v. Oregon State Women's Basketball the next afternoon. That's the crux of the problem.

Limited appeal outside the Pacific Coast and limited muscle to make deals with the major carriers nationally because a lack of a media partner. Ultimately I can see The PAC selling off a portion of their network to Fox for both a financial windfall and to improve distribution. It will be operated much like The BTN, and will put the two conferences into an even more symmetric relationship.

Reaction Score
What if the B1G made a power play move........

Inviting UCLA, USC, Stanford and Cal to join the B1G, making it a truly coast to coast conference.

Reaction Score
What if the B1G made a power play move...

Inviting UCLA, USC, Stanford and Cal to join the B1G, making it a truly coast to coast conference.

Isn't USC a small private school on the BC and Northwestern scale? Why would the B1G take them?

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Isn't USC a small private school on the BC and Northwestern scale? Why would the B1G take them?

They have much more of a football tradition than either of those schools. USC is a blue blood team with a national following. USC is an AAU school like Northwestern is. They exist in one of the largest metro areas in the world and, when they are winning, have more pull than any football team can have in Southern California.

That being said, the only way those four are Big10 schools is if the PAC totally collapses and there is a merger with the four Cali schools, Oregon, Washington and Colorado.

Reaction Score
That being said, the only way those four are Big10 schools is if the PAC totally collapses and there is a merger with the four Cali schools, Oregon, Washington and Colorado.

Or B1G "invests" in the Pac 12 network and the "scheduling alliance" is reborn.

pj

Reaction Score
They have much more of a football tradition than either of those schools. USC is a blue blood team with a national following. USC is an AAU school like Northwestern is. They exist in one of the largest metro areas in the world and, when they are winning, have more pull than any football team can have in Southern California.

B1G would take Arizona for sure. That would make 22. Kansas and Oklahoma then for a western division with Iowa and Nebraska, 12 and 12 split?

It might work better with 4 6-school divisions, but clearly some NCAA/P5 rule changes would be required to accommodate such a humongous conference.

dayooper

Reaction Score
B1G would take Arizona for sure. That would make 22. Kansas and Oklahoma then for a western division with Iowa and Nebraska, 12 and 12 split?

It might work better with 4 6-school divisions, but clearly some NCAA/P5 rule changes would be required to accommodate such a humongous conference.

Yeah, they might. If all that were to go down, I think that Texas, Oklahoma, Utah and one other Big12 school. 4 divisions of seven, with a rule change, of course.

pj

Reaction Score
Yeah, they might. If all that were to go down, I think that Texas, Oklahoma, Utah and one other Big12 school. 4 divisions of seven, with a rule change, of course.

I can't imagine they would take Utah ahead of UConn

dayooper

Reaction Score
I can't imagine they would take Utah ahead of UConn

I would hope they would take UConn. Here is what that 28 team conference might look like:

East: UConn, Rutgers, Maryland, PSU, OSU, Michigan, MSU
North: Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa
South: Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, Colorado, Utah
West: Arizona, USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Washington

Again, a rule change would have to happen and the Pac12 (or Big10) foundation schools would have to be willing to give up on partner schools they have been associated with for a long time. The being said, this is how it might work.

The North and East divisions would be partners while the South and West would partner up. Each division would play each other. They would play two games against their partner divisions and one each from the other two. 10 conference games and only the divisional games would count for the divisional championship. A semi final would be played and then a final.

Another slightly more realistic scenario would be a media merger between the Big10 and parts of the Big12 and Pac12.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Can I get a hit?

Sure, why not?
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Looks like the Big 12 is in better shape than we thought. If Texas-Oklahoma are regularly in and winning their Conference championship game, and getting invited to the College football playoff on a regular basis this conference will be just fine. In fact, Texas and Oklahoma have the easiest path to the college football playoff right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom