Pac-12 Final Weekend Seeding Permutations | The Boneyard

Pac-12 Final Weekend Seeding Permutations

Reaction Score
The seedings are still up in the air contingent on some matchups this week. As outlined below, some things to keep an eye on.

1. Stanford (18-2) vs. California. No impact, Arizona is unable to catch Stanford's winning percentage.)

2. Arizona (13-3) vs. Arizona State. Even if the Sun Devils reverse a recent slide and stun the Wildcats, Arizona holds the H2H tiebreaker over UCLA AND has played (and won) more games.

3. UCLA (11-4) vs. USC (No impact)

4. Oregon (10-6) vs. Oregon State (No impact)

____

See below for the mess in the middle.
_____
9. Arizona State (5-9) vs. Arizona

10. Utah (4-15) vs. Colorado If Utah loses, and Washington wins, Washington would sneak into the #10 spot.

11. Washington (3-12) vs. Wazzu

12. (California (1-22) vs. Stanford

____

This is where it begins to get tricky given the cluster of teams in the middle, and the uneven amount of games played so far this season. I'll try to break it down based on results. In this first batch, Colorado beats Utah, Oregon State upsets Oregon, UCLA beats USC, and Washington State beats Washington. You would end up with standings like this:

5. Oregon State (7-6) (.538%)

6. Colorado (9-8) (.529)

7. Washington State (9-10) (.473)

8. USC (8-10) (.44)

Per Pac-12 " The won-lost percentage record of the teams in regular season Conference play will determine tournament seedings" So, even though Colorado has WON more games, if they both win this weekend, Oregon State will be seeded higher based on winning percentage.

This would lead to a bracket as follows:

1 Stanford vs (8. Southern California vs. 9. Arizona State)

4. Oregon vs. (5. Oregon State vs. 12. California)

3. UCLA vs. (6. Colorado vs. 11 Washington)

2. Arizona vs. (7 Washington State vs 10 Utah)

_____

On the flip side, let's say, Colorado beat Utah, Oregon beat Oregon State, Washington State won, and USC stunned shorthanded UCLA.

5. Colorado (9-8) (.529)

6. USC (9-9) (.500) (Note, that in this scenario if, USC loses, they would be an 8 seed at 8-10. If the Buffaloes for instance lost to Utah, and the other results held, USC could be a #5 Seed.)

8. Oregon State (6-7) (.46)

1 Stanford vs (8. Oregon State vs. 9. Arizona State)
4. Oregon vs. (5. Colorado vs. 12. California)
3. UCLA vs. (6. USC vs. 11 Washington)

____

I mean, it's just so many permutations. Let's run one where Utah sneaks past the Buffaloes, Oregon still wins, Washington State wins, and UCLA wins.

5. Washington State (9-10) (.473)

6. Colorado (8-9) (.470)

7. Oregon State (6-7) (.46)

8. USC (8-10) (.444)

1 Stanford vs (8. USC vs. 9. Arizona State)
4. Oregon vs. (5. Washington State vs. 12. California)
2. Arizona vs. (7 Oregon State vs 10 Utah)

This really isn't the entire gambit of results, just some of the options that we'll get to see play out this weekend!

This just goes to show that we're in for a wild last weekend to settle the bracket, and who knows if make up games will be played before the tournament. The bracket is really only set with the Top 4 and the Bottom 4 seeds at this juncture. It will be a tough tournament to win depending on who comes through. I for one, don't want to see Oregon State for the first time this season in the Quarterfinals -- especially given that they just beat UCLA. I'd much rather see USC or Washington State in that slot.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I would say that if OSU loses to Oregon, then the PAC12 only deserves 4 teams in the NCAAT as the rest simply have a poor resume and are so far behind the top 4 in NET which seems flawed this year with OOC and the all important EYE test. Though the NCAA said it would allow teams with under .500 records this year (cop out!)

Reaction Score
I would say that if OSU loses to Oregon, then the PAC12 only deserves 4 teams in the NCAAT as the rest simply have a poor resume and are so far behind the top 4 in NET which seems flawed this year with OOC and the all important EYE test. Though the NCAA said it would allow teams with under .500 records this year (cop out!)

I'd give this a caveat of whether OSU beats anyone in the tournament to fluff up their resume.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'd give this a caveat of whether OSU beats anyone in the tournament to fluff up their resume.
Hey, I want to see OSU in but if they lose to Oregon, they become the 6th or 7th seed and have to meet up with Arizona or UCLA and that is a tall order, especially to beat UCLA twice but that is why they play the games. Beating anyone lesser than the top 4 teams, in my estimation does not get them in (nor should it).

Reaction Score
The seedings are still up in the air contingent on some matchups this week. As outlined below, some things to keep an eye on.

1. Stanford (18-2) vs. California. No impact, Arizona is unable to catch Stanford's winning percentage.)

2. Arizona (13-3) vs. Arizona State. Even if the Sun Devils reverse a recent slide and stun the Wildcats, Arizona holds the H2H tiebreaker over UCLA AND has played (and won) more games.

3. UCLA (11-4) vs. USC (No impact)

4. Oregon (10-6) vs. Oregon State (No impact)

____

See below for the mess in the middle.
_____
9. Arizona State (5-9) vs. Arizona

10. Utah (4-15) vs. Colorado If Utah loses, and Washington wins, Washington would sneak into the #10 spot.

11. Washington (3-12) vs. Wazzu

12. (California (1-22) vs. Stanford

____

This is where it begins to get tricky given the cluster of teams in the middle, and the uneven amount of games played so far this season. I'll try to break it down based on results. In this first batch, Colorado beats Utah, Oregon State upsets Oregon, UCLA beats USC, and Washington State beats Washington. You would end up with standings like this:

5. Oregon State (7-6) (.538%)

6. Colorado (9-8) (.529)

8. USC (8-10) (.44)

Per Pac-12 " The won-lost percentage record of the teams in regular season Conference play will determine tournament seedings" So, even though Colorado has WON more games, if they both win this weekend, Oregon State will be seeded higher based on winning percentage.

This would lead to a bracket as follows:

1 Stanford vs (8. Southern California vs. 9. Arizona State)

4. Oregon vs. (5. Oregon State vs. 12. California)

_____

On the flip side, let's say, Colorado beat Utah, Oregon beat Oregon State, Washington State won, and USC stunned shorthanded UCLA.

5. Colorado (9-8) (.529)

6. USC (9-9) (.500) (Note, that in this scenario if, USC loses, they would be an 8 seed at 8-10. If the Buffaloes for instance lost to Utah, and the other results held, USC could be a #5 Seed.)

8. Oregon State (6-7) (.46)

1 Stanford vs (8. Oregon State vs. 9. Arizona State)
4. Oregon vs. (5. Colorado vs. 12. California)
3. UCLA vs. (6. USC vs. 11 Washington)

____

I mean, it's just so many permutations. Let's run one where Utah sneaks past the Buffaloes, Oregon still wins, Washington State wins, and UCLA wins.

5. Washington State (9-10) (.473)

6. Colorado (8-9) (.470)

7. Oregon State (6-7) (.46)

8. USC (8-10) (.444)

1 Stanford vs (8. USC vs. 9. Arizona State)
4. Oregon vs. (5. Washington State vs. 12. California)
2. Arizona vs. (7 Oregon State vs 10 Utah)

This really isn't the entire gambit of results, just some of the options that we'll get to see play out this weekend!

This just goes to show that we're in for a wild last weekend to settle the bracket, and who knows if make up games will be played before the tournament. The bracket is really only set with the Top 4 and the Bottom 4 seeds at this juncture. It will be a tough tournament to win depending on who comes through. I for one, don't want to see Oregon State for the first time this season in the Quarterfinals -- especially given that they just beat UCLA. I'd much rather see USC or Washington State in that slot.
All I can say to this is.... Gooo Cougs!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
All I can say to this is.... Gooo Cougs!
Huskies are busting out retro unis to honor the 1989-90 team (28-3; Elite 8). I'm sure that's really gonna help the Dawgs in the Apple Cup Round II...:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom