PAC-12 considering 9am start times for football | The Boneyard

PAC-12 considering 9am start times for football

Reaction Score
This article says that the PAC-12 wants to have 9am (Pacific) start times for football, so their teams can be on TV at noon on the East Coast. While this could hurt attendance and tailgating, the article says the PAC-12 schools don't have big attendance or tailgating crowds to begin with. Only Washington averaged over 50,000 fans per game last season. The east coast doesn't watch the late night PAC-12 games that end after 1am eastern time, so this move would be all about tv ratings.

Reaction Score
our attendance was down 7% last year. Lets eliminate tailgating at some games!!!

Getting from Portland to Eugene or Corvallis for a 9am kick off will be...interesting for fans.

Reaction Score
I like the late night Pac games. I usually to at least halftime.

Right? PAC after dark is a good brand! If anything they should double down on that.

If it wasn’t for Aresco (not mad), Scott would be the worst commish in the Power 6

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Would the Rent open at 4 am?
Egg sammies and bacon on the grill.

Reaction Score
9 AM Starts? LOL That is going to be some crisp ball being played.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I don’t get this at all. Instead of having the unique distinction of having later games they want to get lost in the shuffle with everyone else? I enjoy watching some PAC-12 ball with a nightcap. Also, a lot of time I am in bed by 8pm on game days.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day they seem to not understand that the reason they have trouble getting viewers back east is because they have not been very good. There's plenty of folks up on friday and saturday nights to watch football, drink beer et. al if you have top rated competition. Nobody is going to tune in for games late with bad teams who are not ranked.

Reaction Score
Well, FOX is billing they main game as the noon eastern game after their new pre-game show. I for one is for this! Utah and Oregon would be two home teams that could still fill their stadium for an early morning game.

Reaction Score
Up before dawn to set up breakfast tailgate at 6:30 am?

Only in Baton Rouge would that make sense. They would just party all night and stumble in smelling of alcohol and breakfast corndogs.

Reaction Score
Dont get.
Dont they already play one game on Friday night?
So that leaves them with 5 games on Saturday. Put 2 at 3:30, 1 at 7, 1 at 8, and 1 on latenight.

The PAC's problem isn't when its games are on, it's their gahdawful network, which keeps a large chunk of content away from anyone east of the Rockies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dont get.
So that leaves them with 5 games on Saturday. Put 2 at 3:30, 1 at 7, 1 at 8, and 1 on latenight.

The PAC's problem isn't when its games are on, it's their gahdawful network, which keeps a large chunk of content away from anyone east of the Rockies.

It's not just people east of the Rockies. I live 20 minutes from Sun Devil Stadium and can't get the PAC network.

The fact that they have NEVER figured a way to get on DirecTV is the most treasonous thing a conference commissioner has ever done. I know it gets said over & over but, how Larry Scott keeps his job is truly one of the great mysteries in all of sports

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
know it gets said over & over but, how Larry Scott keeps his job is truly one of the great mysteries in all of sports

Highest paid conference commissioner, and probably the worst at actually doing his job. He must have some really good blackmail material on a bunch of the presidents of the member schools.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Pac 12 must hate their fans. A steady diet of late night games isn't really appreciated by many. Now they're swinging to the opposite end of the spectrum. How about games in the middle of the afternoon? Nah, makes too much sense.

Reaction Score
They should do the same for the basketball “conference of champions” so we could have the Bill Walton “wake and bake” perspective.

Reaction Score
Dont get.

Conference's give up the right to the networks in what time their games are played. The highest profiled Pac-12 games land in many cases on ESPN or FS1 at 10:45pm ET kickoff.

Reaction Score
Just add UConn to the PAC12 and you could have few 9:00 am games without upsetting the masses.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Watching us try to tackle and defend would upset anyone.
Lol the past 8 years have been hard on you Biz. Hopefully this year will let you get some of optimism (or least "neutral-ism) back.

Reaction Score
Lol the past 8 years have been hard on you Biz. Hopefully this year will let you get some of optimism (or least "neutral-ism) back.

I don't understand how anyone can be optimistic. Last year wasn't just being bad. It wasn't even being historically bad. It was being totally unwatchable WOAT bad.

I'll be there opening night. But I'm Missouri at this point.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't understand how anyone can be optimistic. Last year wasn't just being bad. It wasn't even being historically bad. It was being totally unwatchable WOAT bad.

I'll be there opening night. But I'm Missouri at this point.
It's all a matter of setting attainable goals:

1. Suck less.
2. Be competitive into the 3rd quarter.
3. Actually wrap people up when trying to tackle.
4. Don't be so afraid of man to man coverage that QBs can pick you apart for short gains all game long.
5. Know your defensive assignments and reads.
etc.

I'm hopeful that we'll suck less. There are signs that that they may be true. We aren't going to a bowl game, but things should be looking up a bit.

I get it. It has been a long, torturous run. When true fans like you are still recuperating from last season in August it is bad sign.

Reaction Score
It's all a matter of setting attainable goals:

1. Suck less.
2. Be competitive into the 3rd quarter.
3. Actually wrap people up when trying to tackle.
4. Don't be so afraid of man to man coverage that QBs can pick you apart for short gains all game long.
5. Know your defensive assignments and reads.
etc.

I'm hopeful that we'll suck less. There are signs that that they may be true. We aren't going to a bowl game, but things should be looking up a bit.

I get it. It has been a long, torturous run. When true fans like you are still recuperating from last season in August it is bad sign.

I can live with losing. But games have to be fun to go to, which means you have to think you have a chance to compete going in and then you have to be able to compete at least for a while once you kickoff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom