Overused cliches | The Boneyard

Overused cliches

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As is our wont on the Boneyard, I'm going off on a tangent from a topic that's been introduced. I will start a new thread, though, rather than hijack another.

The Bob P. thread got me to thinking of phrases that were used, overused and sometimes abused before they, mercifully, went away. For example, I remember hearing "She's as cool as the other side of the pillow" when describing DT. After I heard that for the first time during a UConn game, I heard it EVERYWHERE until I wanted to scream. Then it just....went away (thank goodness).

Whatever happened to "singing the nylon song"? Did that one get replaced?

JS

Reaction Score
As is our wont on the Boneyard, I'm going off on a tangent
And then we usually get a tangent off the tangent.

Such as: Isn't "overused cliche" redundant?

But back to YOUR tangent, I've been noticing the ghoulish "bury the defender" a lot. A more drastic fate than being "in jail" I guess.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Guilty as charged, Counselor.

Some mornings I don't have enough coffee, today I had too much.

Reaction Score
as cool as the other side of the pillow"

That's Stuart Scott of ESPN's "line".
It probably has waned a bit since he's not on Sportscenter much anymore (he was out - cancer treatment I think, plus he focuses on NBA now).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The Bob P. thread got me to thinking of phrases that were used, overused and sometimes abused before they, mercifully, went away. For example, I remember hearing "She's as cool as the other side of the pillow" when describing DT. After I heard that for the first time during a UConn game, I heard it EVERYWHERE until I wanted to scream. Then it just....went away (thank goodness).

That was from Stuart Scott (ESPN), not for DT though. He had been using it for awhile. (he also coined "call him butter, he's on a roll")

Others out there you hear alot,
" She (they) came to play". (what else might they have come to do??) I've heard lots of people who don't like that one.
"They just wanted it more" (which actually is sometimes true).
"She always gives 110%." (I always wonder how they do that?)
"She has her game face on." (does that mean she is two-faced?)
"Diaper Dandy" (well at least you don't hear that in women's basketball)
"She showed a lot of courage" (courage? you're playing a game and either getting paid or getting a free education to play a game) (granted it may take some courage to drive a car at 200 mph, but to shoot a free throw?)
"It is what it is" (a newer one at least. but yes we know it is what it is, but what exactly is it?)
"She has ice water in her veins" (she's probably dead then)

And my favorite (or least)

"There is no I in team" (yea, we know how to spell, however there is a "me" so that kinda defeats the whole concept of the cliche')

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That was from Stuart Scott (ESPN), not for DT though. He had been using it for awhile. (he also coined "call him butter, he's on a roll")

It may have been around before, but using it to describe Dee was just the first time I'd heard it.

Reaction Score
That's Stuart Scott of ESPN's "line". It probably has waned a bit since he's not on Sportscenter much anymore ...
Well, if it has waned somebody at ESPN should get waxed.

Reaction Score
"There is no I in team"

I loved those "Leon" commercials a few years back (Nike?).

"There is no I in team"
"Yeah, there ain't no 'we' either."

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Pledge Of Allegiance At UConn Games Creates Debate

(And Geno needs a history lesson. And, just to be snarky, I wonder if he'd appreciate being called a wacko for believing in the supernatural?)

"I believe the Pledge of Allegiance becomes kind of rote; people just repeating it without really understanding it. And then you have to deal with the wackos who don't believe we need to bring God into the conversation because you say, 'One nation under God [during the Pledge].​
"So I guess Thomas Jefferson was an ass for writing something like that. It goes pretty well, when you think about it. I am sure the founding fathers thought about it for a long time."​

Neither Jerrferson (sic) nor Bellamy had anything to do with the installation of many of the phrases now included in the Pledge.​

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Making a basket.

Particularly "swishing" it. Usually from an outside shot such that the nylon nets snap (or "sing")

Though I have never heard that one.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
We need to take it one game at a time.
Crunch time.
...need to step up (our/their) intensity.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
This is from a Journalism article:

Here, then, are 10 of the worst sports clichés in the business, ones you should never put in a sports story, along with some suggested sarcastic rejoinders.
1. We need to just play our game.
Oh really? Were you going to play someone else’s?
2. He gives 110 percent.
Hmmm. How is that possible, exactly?
3. Defense wins championships.
And what is offense? Chopped liver?
4. She leaves it all out there on the field.
Well, I hope she cleans up after herself.
5. Those teams match up well.
Maybe they should start dating.
6. He takes care of the football.
Good. Those things are expensive.
7. He's their go-to guy.
Going to where, exactly?
8. They have to step up and make plays.
Given that this is a game, I guess that would be a good idea.
9. They're going for back-to-back championships.
Oh really? I thought after winning it all last year they'd strive for a mediocre season this year.
10. He has his game face on.
Yeah, and it’s pretty scary.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
1. We need to just play our game.
Oh really? Were you going to play someone else’s?

Actually some teams need to play someone else's game, theirs is not very good.

Reaction Score
Biff would probably call that a cotangent.
Not necessarily. Some of the best cliches are now underused.
But back to YOUR tangent, I've been noticing the ghoulish "bury the defender" a lot. A more drastic fate than being "in jail" I guess.
Not from the perspective of Cool Hand Luke - both force you to "spend a night in the box."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Particularly "swishing" it. Usually from an outside shot such that the nylon nets snap (or "sing")

Though I have never heard that one.
I figured that one out too, but also had never heard it. Not sure it is trite if it is so obscure. Or maybe we're just out of the loop. :)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As some on this board know, I am starting a new career as a nurse and was just hired for my first job. I was discussing it with a friend of mine and he told me to "knock 'em dead." We both paused and burst out laughing. He retracted that cliche.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
As some on this board know, I am starting a new career as a nurse and was just hired for my first job. I was discussing it with a friend of mine and he told me to "knock 'em dead." We both paused and burst out laughing. He retracted that cliche.
O.K. then break a leg....

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

Bingo.

JS

Reaction Score
Not from the perspective of Cool Hand Luke - both force you to "spend a night in the box."

That's the eventual destination. From the perspective of The Great Escape, you first had to spend time in "the cooler."

Reaction Score
An obscure singer named Biff Rose once said, "I am bound and determined to be cliche-free".

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And with that "the fat lady is warming up" and so "The fat lady sings."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads