OT: Overrated US cities | The Boneyard

OT: Overrated US cities

Reaction Score
@WestHartHusk brought up Nashville as most overrated in the other thread and I think I concur. I've only spent a few days there so it's really not fair of me to judge a whole city based on that but I don't understand why it's basically the hottest city in the country...

First off, outside of the Highwaymen and some random songs here and there I really dislike the country music genre and everything surrounding it, at least what Country is now. It seemed to be everywhere in Nashville. Majority of the bars seemed to be gimmicky live music joints which blared the country or rock whether it was live or not live. It seems like a place filled with tourists and trust fund hipsters now and it caters to all of that. Was going to give it another chance before Covid but I can't justify paying more to stay in Nashville than any other city in the country.

Boston never really did it for me, it's not a bad place by any means but the name recognition of the city never seemed to match up with what the city actually offers. Not a great nightlife or food scene, it has a ton of history but is fairly boring architecturally. I went there with some friends a few years ago who had never been and they were left a little disappointed. It feels small and I never felt like the city took advantage of the water as well as they should have. I think a lot of what makes Boston cool is that it's the major city in an area that offers a lot, you are close to a lot.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't know if "overrated" is the right term as really not that many people talk about the city itself, and more the surrounding area, but I hate Orlando, the idea of Orlando, and everything about Orlando.

I was in the convention biz for a couple decades and have traveled to most significant US cities on multiple occasions. Generally I find that there's something I like about every city that I can look forward to on a subsequent visit, but I never got there with Orlando (I'll add Tulsa as well).

Reaction Score
Stockton, CA. Everyone's always raving about how beautiful it is - the "Paris of the San Joaquin Valley" they call it, the cultural attractions, and the great lifestyle, and I just don't see it.

Reaction Score
Agree on SF, expensive, and traffic is awful, but Miami is just smoking right now. Nightlife is unreal, lot of vibe, South Beach, Miami Beach, downtown, Coral Gables, Little Havana..........
The vibe of Miami was entirely too rich to me. People flaunting their money everywhere, a status show at every corner, and extremely expensive.

I definitely get the allure, but wasn’t my scene at all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The vibe of Miami was entirely to rich to me. People flaunting their money everywhere, a status show at every corner, and extremely expensive.

I definitely get the allure, but wasn’t my scene at all.
Totally fair points, I think you read the room right.

Reaction Score
I kinda like Philly, but the fanbase for their sports teams brings the whole city down. Didn't used to feel super strong about this, but I was a bit disappointed in the Eagles fans when they beat the Vikings in the playoffs a few years back. Throwing beers at women just walking through the parking lot was a bit much.

Reaction Score
Atlanta

I’ll say what I said in the underrated thread; Atlanta is a great place to live.

its definitely not a great “destination”, though

Reaction Score
Austin was fine, just wasn’t as awesome as I thought it would be.

Sedona, AZ. Beautiful natural beauty but awful town. Similar natural beauty in Southern Utah just with more space to get lost in it.

Boston. Started visiting in college and spent more time there in my early 20s as some friends moved there. Not a bad city, but never really liked the city that much and arguably my least favorite accent. Seems like one of the more segregated cities I’ve been visited too, I like diversity in my big cities. I’m sure I’m also biased as a NY sports fan (but I do like Philly, in spite of my NY fandom.)

Reaction Score
I don't love cities to begin with, at least not the really big ones. But among cities that people seem to always sing the praises of, I'd say:

Charlotte, NC
Dallas
Phoenix

I never really liked Atlanta, and have spent quite a bit of time there.

I'd say Houston, but it's kind of known to be awful.

Reaction Score
I don't know if "overrated" is the right term as really not that many people talk about the city itself, and more the surrounding area, but I hate Orlando, the idea of Orlando, and everything about Orlando.

I was in the convention biz for a couple decades and have traveled to most significant US cities on multiple occasions. Generally I find that there's something I like about every city that I can look forward to on a subsequent visit, but I never got there with Orlando (I'll add Tulsa as well).
Orlando was the first city that came to mind for me as well. Let's be honest. Unless you're a 5 year old girl or some Harry Potter nerd, those parks all suck. The rest of it is highways, Motel 6's and strip malls.

Reaction Score
Chicago. The weather sucks, the traffic sucks. Food scene is great, but otherwise meh.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Orlando was the first city that came to mind for me as well. Let's be honest. Unless you're a 5 year old girl or some Harry Potter nerd, those parks all suck. The rest of it is highways, Motel 6's and strip malls.
The only city that's even in the same neighborhood for "worst flights home" is LV. I used to intentionally take the last flight out of Orlando specifically to avoid families and their cranky kids.

Reaction Score
Watch 'The Florida Project"

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Stockton, CA. Everyone's always raving about how beautiful it is - the "Paris of the San Joaquin Valley" they call it, the cultural attractions, and the great lifestyle, and I just don't see it.

I can't imagine anyone outside of California being able to find Stockton on a map nevermind have an opinion of it.

As a frequent traveler to Cali, I would consider Stockton to be a turdhole.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom