Outside the Box | The Boneyard

Outside the Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What would stop NBC, FOX or CBS from assisting in creating their own league. Right now their are a ton of schools in flux. UConn, Cincy, Boise, SD St, Fresno, BYU, USF, UCF, ECU, Houston, SMU, Temple for 12. Then Tulsa, Memphis, Nevada or UNLV if you wanted to go to 16. The Navy and Air Force combo still out their as well.

It would allow BE to drop Tulane and MWC to drop Hawaii, New Mexico, Col St and Wyoming.
Hell, Utah St and San Jose St from the WAC. If we are going to be in a cluster*&%k, it might as well be one with the top teams from 3-4 conferences.

Florida, Texas and California are involved as well as NE/NYC, Ohio. While none of these command any given market it does give all 4 time zones.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I thought about this idea as well. Even if they keep the MWC name and drop the dead weight. Why not take some East Coast teams? Drop Hawaii, Utah St, CSU, SJSU. Add UConn, Cincy, Memphis, and USF? (Memphis for BBall purposes). You already have the deal in place with CBS. They've allowed the contract to be reopened. Why not, if you're the MWC, not push the envelope and see just how much CBS is willing to throw into this if given prime FB and BBall. Would the travel stink for UConn? Sure. But it would be the reverse of what the BE was going to do with Boise and SDSU. It does make sense.

If there is no clear cut 6th conference. Why doesn't a network help create one? You could have your pick of half of the FBS schools and make the best 12-14 team league you can. Every remaining school is desperate enough to want in so who cares how many time zones. Maybe the MAC schools are content but everyone esle isn't.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
cbs just stepped up and its actually going to kill off the idea of the big country conf. they have a small deal with the mwc and what they did was redo the deal so that the mwc can also get contracts with other media companys as well as cbs instead of being just a 1 media league. what thats going to do is allow the mwc to add anything west worth while to a bigger league and between cbs and a new bidder the 2 medias can give the mwc enough $ where it makes sense. the added teams will give it more inventory. i think the mwc is going to try to go big and get everyone possible out west not in the pac. i think they will even try for texas teams and tulsa also.

just imagine a 16 team league of

haw/sdsu/fresno/sju/bsu/byu/usu/unr/unlv
cst/wy/(zaga if is just fball)/nm/tulsa/uh(no rice same mk)/smu(no nt same mk)/utep/another texas school lets say tst or utsa

it kills off nmst/idaho and gets everything relevant west of texas. it gives the league multiple teams in cali and texas for recruiting and becomes a competitor to the pac. it easily competes bbal wise and in fbll the top on the field is not far behind after stanford/oregon/usc. would be a huge move for the mwc and west coast athletics in the d1 world. lots os possiblities to ge tto 14, 16 or 18...

Reaction Score
What would stop NBC, FOX or CBS from assisting in creating their own league. Right now their are a ton of schools in flux. UConn, Cincy, Boise, SD St, Fresno, BYU, USF, UCF, ECU, Houston, SMU, Temple for 12. Then Tulsa, Memphis, Nevada or UNLV if you wanted to go to 16. The Navy and Air Force combo still out their as well.

It would allow BE to drop Tulane and MWC to drop Hawaii, New Mexico, Col St and Wyoming.
Hell, Utah St and San Jose St from the WAC. If we are going to be in a cluster*&%k, it might as well be one with the top teams from 3-4 conferences.

Florida, Texas and California are involved as well as NE/NYC, Ohio. While none of these command any given market it does give all 4 time zones.

We are already there.

This is being driven by these Networks ... as the first push was all ESPN. (with some rather vapid moves) But ... Tulane & Memphis get ahead of others because it is a top 60 market. You are more likely to see nascent Old Dominion & UTSA than a Wyoming or some others because they are in solid TV market. It's there already as this moves. At some point, WE (CFB) became the new XFL for folks.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
cbs just stepped up and its actually going to kill off the idea of the big country conf. they have a small deal with the mwc and what they did was redo the deal so that the mwc can also get contracts with other media companys as well as cbs instead of being just a 1 media league. what thats going to do is allow the mwc to add anything west worth while to a bigger league and between cbs and a new bidder the 2 medias can give the mwc enough $ where it makes sense. the added teams will give it more inventory. i think the mwc is going to try to go big and get everyone possible out west not in the pac. i think they will even try for texas teams and tulsa also.

cst/wy/(zaga if is just fball)/nm/tulsa/uh(no rice same mk)/smu(no nt same mk)/utep/another texas school lets say tst or utsa

it kills off nmst/idaho and gets everything relevant west of texas. it gives the league multiple teams in cali and texas for recruiting and becomes a competitor to the pac. it easily competes bbal wise and in fbll the top on the field is not far behind after stanford/oregon/usc. would be a huge move for the mwc and west coast athletics in the d1 world. lots os possiblities to ge tto 14, 16 or 18...
Seriously, how much revenue can a local broadcast of the third or fourth best MWC game bring? This is just to give the ESPN bottom something new to run to illustrate the instability of the BE, hoping that perception leads Boise St to return to the MWC out of fear.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

Not that this really poses a threat to the Pac-12 but I wonder if it makes them at least go out and get two more teams. I know they are reserving spots 13 & 14 for TX and OU but maybe they wanna nab Boise and someone else to firm up the west? Like I said, not likely but before this news the Pac-12 was sitting pretty with no worries.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Not that this really poses a threat to the Pac-12 but I wonder if it makes them at least go out and get two more teams. I know they are reserving spots 13 & 14 for TX and OU but maybe they wanna nab Boise and someone else to firm up the west? Like I said, not likely but before this news the Pac-12 was sitting pretty with no worries.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
My guess is the Pac-12 has less than zero interest in Boise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom