Outlook on big10 expansion from Iowa | The Boneyard

Outlook on big10 expansion from Iowa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.kcrg.com/sports/local/Whats-Next-For-Big-Ten-Expansion-181612001.html

Iowa guy basically revisits his thoughts from 2010 based on what has recently happened. Not sure if I read this before on this board. Sorry if duped.

Had all the current schools being thrown out today on his list two years ago. Comments on Uconn below.

"2010 Final verdict: At first blush UConn is an outer-rim candidate because it’s located outside of the traditional Big Ten setting. But the school has plenty of upside and the expansion decision is based more on the league in 2040, not 2010. If the league goes to 16 teams and wants to gain traction in the Northeast, it could do worse than Connecticut."

Interesting comments on Syracuse, Pitt (not a real option), and BC.

Definitely supports Delaney's push east...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'm not going to say it's not going to happen, I will say I think it's not clear how competitive UConn is vs. the other candidates right now. The ACC expansion demonstrated how much Hathaway's derp actually damaged UConn's brand for football. The Iowa guy said the B1G will look at upside for 2040, but you could just as well say 2020 could be what they're looking at. So if UConn is serious about stepping up to get an invite there are things that have to happen in the next 2-5 years to improve football success (i.e. replacing PP) and get closer to that goal of AAU status. The B1G took a fair amount of risk in inviting Rutgers, can anyone say the risk of inviting UConn right now wouldn't be greater? Herbst has work to do so that we can at least make the case we aren't riskier than RU.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to say it's not going to happen, I will say I think it's not clear how competitive UConn is vs. the other candidates right now. The ACC expansion demonstrated how much Hathaway's derp actually damaged UConn's brand for football. The Iowa guy said the B1G will look at upside for 2040, but you could just as well say 2020 could be what they're looking at. So if UConn is serious about stepping up to get an invite there are things that have to happen in the next 2-5 years to improve football success (i.e. replacing PP) and get closer to that goal of AAU status. The B1G took a fair amount of risk in inviting Rutgers, can anyone say the risk of inviting UConn right now wouldn't be greater? Herbst has work to do so that we can at least make the case we aren't riskier than RU.
I agree with much of this.

Here's what I'll say in favor of UConn. There was a great risk with Rutgers, but they're also bottom-feeders in every sport. At least with UConn, you have a track record of athletic success that you could use to potentially project into football. And if UConn never really turns it on in football in terms of competition, at least in that scenario it will increase the worth of olympic sports (basketball and others). That's not as important, but as content fills out, people aren't watching a Rutgers-IU basketball unless you are a fan because Rutgers sucks. All basketball fans would be interested in IU-UConn.

Reaction Score

Yes, I can say the risk of adding UConn is not greater than Rutgers.

Simple logic:

- People say this is all about football. It is NOT about football. It is about $$$.
- In most areas of the country, football drives the bus, thus to get $$$, you need good football. However, this does not hold true in the northeast.
- CT is currently the most densely populated State without a team in a Big 5 conference. What is must see TV in CT? UConn basketball (men's & women's). If you lock up UConn basketball on the BTN, it MUST be added as a basic tier station in CT or people are going to go nuts. That's $$$.

Rutgers does not command this type of carriage in NYC or NJ (for any sport). In reality, they don't need to, because of the law of large numbers. When you also factor in UConn's popularity in NYC and the rest of New England, it's a pretty compelling case.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but I believe you guys are not being objective. I understand that Rutger's football are not world beaters, but they are not bottom feeders either. They were ranked this year and that's not something we can say. They are located in a geography with almost 2M+ cable subscribers. Explain the risk for football? Each year only 2 teams will appear in conference championship game. Is everyone else a bottom feeder? Will they go to decent bowls? Will they go 0 for the next 10 years? I think they will be no worse than mid tier B1G next year, with a chance to acquire more talent in the NJ/NY/ePA area because of their new conference affiliation. Rutgers would be crazy NOT to schedules Michigan or OSU at MetLife, it will be a NYC event and it will sell out. BBall is another story, but that could change with the right coach.

Reaction Score
I can only speak for myself - I think Rutgers has a decent athletic program, with lots of potential.

Great home market.

Good add for B1G.

Reaction Score
You may be thinking too short term regarding Uconn football. If we were in the BIG recruiting would be better, current coaches would be canned and Uconn would become more attractive to head coach candidates. We may not ever be Michigan or Ohio State but I don't think we would be Northwestern or Indiana either.
I'd be surprised if we ended up in the BIG but I also thought we were a shoe in for the ACC. The realignment landscape is fluid and where we end up could be the order things happen as much as the actual teams involved. The BIG, SEC and the PAC seem to have their act in order and really control realignment. The ACC is scared to death what may happen to their conference if any of these conferences become active.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to say it's not going to happen, I will say I think it's not clear how competitive UConn is vs. the other candidates right now.
We'd be middle of the pack in whichever division in football and would dominate in basketball. That article makes the possibility of us being added look very promising.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Frank the Tank takes on the same topic. He says we're the only BE team that would warrant consideration. I think he thoughtfully describes our problem as lack of football history, which causes us to be dismissed on our real merits by the old boys network. But the reality is, they have no good options at the moment, so are likely to be in a holding pattern.

Reaction Score
Frank the Tank takes on the same topic. He says we're the only BE team that would warrant consideration. I think he thoughtfully describes our problem as lack of football history, which causes us to be dismissed on our real merits by the old boys network. But the reality is, they have no good options at the moment, so are likely to be in a holding pattern.
Our upside has already proven itself with championships in basketball and other sports. I think the B1G would be more interested in potential at this point rather than what's in the past.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We'd be middle of the pack in whichever division in football and would dominate in basketball. That article makes the possibility of us being added look very promising.

I don't think we can say we'd dominate a league with some very good teams, and one with history like Indiana, which seems to be back in a big way. But we'd consistently be among the best basketball teams, and more importantly, as a basketball *brand* we'd be right there with Indiana at the top. Michigan State would be next. Michigan, OSU and Wisconsin are often good, but people think football first with those schools.

And remember this, basketball and especially women's basketball, matters far more to the B1G than to any other league. The B1G needs strong non-football content. It needs markets that like sports other than football. The BTN is not about football, it's about monetizing the sports other than football. In that respect, we beat the snot out of almost every school out there. UNC could be better, but even they don't bring the hockey content, or women's hoops (which would bump the ratings for all B1G women's hoops).

I never dared to hope that the B1G would be open minded enough to really consider us, but we are more valuable to them than to any other league.

Reaction Score
Our upside has already proven itself with championships in basketball and other sports. I think the B1G would be more interested in potential at this point rather than what's in the past.

Winnie-Cooper-Danica-McKellar-from-The-Wonder-Years.jpg

We started like Winnie Cooper, but we have potential!!!!!

Reaction Score
I don't think we can say we'd dominate a league with some very good teams, and one with history like Indiana, which seems to be back in a big way. But we'd consistently be among the best basketball teams, and more importantly, as a basketball *brand* we'd be right there with Indiana at the top. Michigan State would be next. Michigan, OSU and Wisconsin are often good, but people think football first with those schools.

And remember this, basketball and especially women's basketball, matters far more to the B1G than to any other league. The B1G needs strong non-football content. It needs markets that like sports other than football. The BTN is not about football, it's about monetizing the sports other than football. In that respect, we beat the snot out of almost every school out there. UNC could be better, but even they don't bring the hockey content, or women's hoops (which would bump the ratings for all B1G women's hoops).

I never dared to hope that the B1G would be open minded enough to really consider us, but we are more valuable to them than to any other league.

UConn would also add a really good men’s soccer team (even if they appear like the pre’99 hoops team with issues getting to the big dance). Historically, UConn would be the 2/3 team behind Indiana and tied with Maryland, just ahead of Wisconsin, Penn State, and Rutgers, while well above Michigan, Michigan State, and Northwestern. Maybe the extra money would also increase the Women’s soccer team, which has fallen off the pace since the 1990’s and maybe add lacrosse (Maryland is going to push for investment in this sport).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom