OT: Outdoor Security cameras | The Boneyard

OT: Outdoor Security cameras

Reaction Score
Hi all,
I'm browsing for an outdoor security camera. So many options. Anyone have any recommendations?

I understand there are wi-fi and hardwired. Not sure which is best, since they both need a power supply anyway, right? Don't really care too much about saving recordings, but don't want something with a monthly charge. This is basically so we can see who is on the porch/ at the door.

Want something easy to set up and can be used with a tablet (both platforms). Also want good quality, good reliability, good customer service if something goes wrong.

Also not sure of bullet-type vs dome.

Anyone have something they love (or hate)?

Thanks!

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
There’s a bunch out there. Nest cameras are popular and reliable. I have them and they work great.

Netgear Arlo get good reviews. They also make ones that can run on batteries.

Reaction Score
Thank you! Nest- is that the brand or a type?

Reaction Score
I did a lot of research on this back in December.

There are soo many options and variables which include: battery/power, wired/wireless, DVR/cloud, bulb/doorbell/floodlight/regular camera etc..

I was looking for a system/combo of systems that would monitor my entire house, powered (no battery to worry about), works on wireless internet, live alerts, and recordings.

I settled on the following 2 items.

Ring Video Doorbell Pro: replaces your existing front doorbell. Very easy to install, awesome video quality, 2 way intercom, alerts your Phone/tablet when someone rings your doorbell and/or there is motion in one of your customized zones and records everything to the cloud when you sign up for the monthly service.
You don't Have to pay for the subscription service, but if you don't you will only be able to see live views of the camera via your phone/tablet (no alerts or recordings)

Sengled Snap Security Floodlight Camera : installation is as easy as changing one of your floodlight bulbs. All the benefits of the item listed above (minus the doorbell part) if you pay for the monthly service.
If you don't pay for the service, you do get 24 hours free recording to cloud, but you will Not get motion alerts/zones, longer cloud storage etc..

Let me know if you need any more information, like I said...I did A LOT of research.

Reaction Score
Thanks a ton, UconnAlum04. I had looked at the Ring a while back but forgot about it.

Now that is sounding good. I like that you don't have to pay for the subscription, as basically it's just so when someone comes into the yard/porch we can see who it is from another part of the house.

I like that its 1080HD, that it can use a tablet, that it has a rechargeable battery. So there is the option to use the doorbell wires or the battery? is that how it works?

Any problems setting it up or with connectivity?

Lots of excellent reviews. THANK YOU!!

Reaction Score
From what I can see, the 2 newer Ring models can bet setup differently (check the Ring website for more details)
Compare Ring Video Doorbells and Find What's Best for You | Ring

Ring Video Doorbell 2: "Quick-release rechargeable battery OR Hardwired"

Ring Video Doorbell Pro: "Hardwired" (this is the one I have and requires power from the doorbell)

Install was pretty easy and they have really good videos that walk you thru the installation of the doorbell and setup.

No problems at all with connectivity and it should be fine as long as your home wifi signal is good at the install point.

Reaction Score
I did go to the site and compare in the mean time. Thank you for helping me, I really appreciate the recommendation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom