Out rebounded 35-18 | The Boneyard

Out rebounded 35-18

Reaction Score
We looked like little kids out there. We looked like we were playing our big brothers.

Why no Carlton? He might have been able to compete on the boards.
35-18?!?!?? That’s startling

Reaction Score
I expected that result having a 3 guard lineup against that length. I would have loved to see Cobb and Diarria in together and give Jalen and Vital more rest.

Reaction Score
It's even worse than that. We turned the ball over so much they didn't get as many defensive rebounds, which are generally easier than offensive boards.

They rebounded 40% of their misses.

Reaction Score
I expected that result having a 3 guard lineup against that length. I would have loved to see Cobb and Diarria in together and give Jalen and Vital more rest.
Yeah I was perplexed why KO kept the 3 guards in there together especially with Syracuse playing a Zone. It would be nice to see what Cobb and Diarra could have done together. I guess KO was scared of them both fouling out in the first half. LOL!

Reaction Score
Yeah I was perplexed why KO kept the 3 guards in there together especially with Syracuse playing a Zone. It would be nice to see what Cobb and Diarra could have done together. I guess KO was scared of them both fouling out in the first half. LOL!
Yeah but he could manage that with Carlton and the Stiff.

Reaction Score
It's even worse than that. We turned the ball over so much they didn't get as many defensive rebounds, which are generally easier than offensive boards.

They rebounded 40% of their misses.

For the record, Syracuse rebounds 42% of their misses on the season, so we actually did okay on the boards relative to the other teams they've played. They're 2nd in the country in that area.

But we turned the ball and fouled too much. I mean, we turned the ball over on more than a 1/4 of our possessions and they had a 67% FT rate (double our season average).

Reaction Score
For the record, Syracuse rebounds 42% of their misses on the season, so we actually did okay on the boards relative to the other teams they've played. They're 2nd in the country in that area.

But we turned the ball and fouled too much. I mean, we turned the ball over on more than a 1/4 of our possessions and they had a 67% FT rate (double our season average).
I'll add we didn't start out too well either. We just don't have the offensive firepower to sustain a long comeback. I don't think Jalen rested all night.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I feel like we could have had Cobb hitting Diarra on lobs and cuts all night.

Reaction Score
How we keep some of these games so close is actually shocking to me when you look at the stats. Crazy.

Reaction Score
I feel like we could have had Cobb hitting Diarra on lobs and cuts all night.

How do you get passes to them?

Our guards couldn't even see over the shoulders of the defenders. This was a bad matchup for us on a lot of levels.

Reaction Score

Our guards couldn't even see over the shoulders of the defenders. This was a bad matchup for us on a lot of levels.
He is talking about Cobb passing it to diarra from the high post for dunks on the weak side when the oppossing big guys over commit.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Getting the ball to that spot wasn’t a problem. Larrier was easily getting the ball in the middle, drawing defenders from everywhere then pretty much handing the ball to Cuse either by dribbling into 3 guys or taking a weak fadeaway. Cobb has much better vision and decisions from that spot vs a zone.

C

Chief00

I like Cobb but he still needs to get in shape. Calhoun was just saying how important rebounding is to him and how his teams led the country in rebounding for many years. KO doesn’t seem to appreciate the value of rebounding.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
We did a poor job of boxing out as well... One article after the game noted their freshman, Matt Moyer, had his best game ever, with 18 points and 8 rebounds. "Moyer soared to the rim, untouched by any Husky, and threw down a slam that got the Garden gasping..." Moyer said, "Oshae shot it and I was thinking, 'Why is nobody blocking me out? Are you serious?' The ball came off and I think I boosted off somebody. I was, like, 'Whoa!' I slammed it in..."

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Per ESPN 37-26
Per CBS 34-21
Per UConn board 35-18

we were out-rebounded, Cuse is bigger and our two bigs both fouled out in 17 minutes

they have to learn to stay on the court, and that's fixable with experience

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I like Cobb but he still needs to get in shape. Calhoun was just saying how important rebounding is to him and how his teams led the country in rebounding for many years. KO doesn’t seem to appreciate the value of rebounding.

OK, now this is a criticism I've had of KO since day one. We don't rebound like we used too, and I concur we need to improve in this area

Reaction Score
This was not about boxing out. Watched Cuse play last week and thought that they would destroy us on glass and O reboundiong and putbacks. Don’t need to be a hoop coach to see that. So KO goes with 3 small guards who look like the JV playing the varsity in comparison. This is not to say we could have overcome the physical advantage.

Reaction Score
This was not about boxing out. Watched Cuse play last week and thought that they would destroy us on glass and O reboundiong and putbacks. Don’t need to be a hoop coach to see that. So KO goes with 3 small guards who look like the JV playing the varsity in comparison. This is not to say we could have overcome the physical advantage.

There's something to be said for ceding an area of weakness to exploit a strength. Problem is, we didn't hound their guards enough until the 2nd half and at that point it was too late.

Reaction Score
OK, now this is a criticism I've had of KO since day one. We don't rebound like we used too, and I concur we need to improve in this area
Let's also add-in that according to KO, keeping Cuse off the offensive glass "was part of our game strategy". Lack of attention to game plan, players refused to execute, too complex a strategy, special skillset needed? Rebounding is 99% effort & will...KO is not getting that effort from his players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom