Our talent level going 4ward | The Boneyard

Our talent level going 4ward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With Hamilton and Brimah is very high. Hamilton is a triple double waiting to happen and Brimah is 15 pounds and another year of skills training away from being a top 3 cenetr in CBB and possibly our second set of top 5 picks in the same draft.

Then you look at the size of our 2 guards Calhoun and Purvis. They are big guards as is Samuel and you can see our overall potential.

I wish we could count those disaster area buzzer beaters as W's--I had a bad feeling they would hurt the year. I fully understand that we are not there yet and we lose Boatright. BUT if Jalen Adams--who is much BIGGER than Boatright is the real deal--we add Enosch and we have real nice size with depth --I think we set up for another NC next year.

We have a lot of talent

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
That's a lot of hope you're putting on a freshman Jalen Adams

Reaction Score
With Hamilton and Brimah is very high. Hamilton is a triple double waiting to happen and Brimah is 15 pounds and another year of skills training away from being a top 3 cenetr in CBB and possibly our second set of top 5 picks in the same draft.

Then you look at the size of our 2 guards Calhoun and Purvis. They are big guards as is Samuel and you can see our overall potential.

I wish we could count those disaster area buzzer beaters as W's--I had a bad feeling they would hurt the year. I fully understand that we are not there yet and we lose Boatright. BUT if Jalen Adams--who is much BIGGER than Boatright is the real deal--we add Enosch and we have real nice size with depth --I think we set up for another NC next year.

We have a lot of talent
So we are better because we have big guards?lol Too bad our best guards recently have all been small KW, SN and RB. We need another point guard and a shooter to be good next year.

Reaction Score
I can tell you right now that Enosch will barely play next yr - he is more of a Hilton Armstrong player with more upside. We need another legit ball handler and Stone to be NC contenders next year in my opinion

Reaction Score
I can tell you right now that Enosch will barely play next yr - he is more of a Hilton Armstrong player with more upside. We need another legit ball handler and Stone to be NC contenders next year in my opinion

Another ball handler is a must. Stone obviously would be a great get.

But another ball handler(besides Adams) is essential for this team.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Have a buddy who has seen Jalen a ton the last few years and believes will be a far better player than boat has been. let's not judge next years class yet, still a lot of time, guys decommit. I think Ollie has a wanted a little bit of trust at this point.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You know when I saw threads about being better the season after losing our best player?

2011-2012
2014-2015

You just don't lose an All America player and replace them with a freshman and get better, nonetheless forecast a national title run.

Reaction Score
ConnHuskBask said:
You know when I saw threads about being better the season after losing our best player? 2011-2012 2014-2015 You just don't lose an All America player and replace them with a freshman and get better, nonetheless forecast a national title run.

No problem if Rip turns pro. That'll just open up more minutes for Ajou Ajou Deng.

(That was really said - in fairness, everyone thought Deng was going to be the goods)

Reaction Score
A kid like Taylor would be nice. Don't think he was ranked that high. It would be great to get a Dorsey but scour the country and over seas. A point and a shooter are essential . Think we have lost ground on Stone . Thought we could hold are own for a few years in recruiting but being in the AAC is affecting our recruiting slowly but surely but you only have to pull in one or two studs to be right back in it which is totally possible.

Reaction Score
And this is why quantity matters. We all know 5 star recruits fail. We also all know our history of turning 4 star guys into first round picks. But the fact is that 5 star guys become stars with much higher probability. When Calhoun and Ollie took lesser talent and beat more talented teams to win championships, there was a certain talent differential that was able to be overcome by experience (our kids were older) and coaching. But we have fewer highly rated recruits coming in than before and the Dukes and Kentuckys have even more. That is why seasons like this are happening and why people are concerned that our bottle is out of lightning. Not only do we still struggle in the regular season but it is getting worse and no rational person believes this team will pull off what last year's team or Kemba's team did. WE NEED MORE TALENT!!! And if that means hiring a sleazy recruiter who knows how to protect the program with plausible deniability, so be it.

No problem if Rip turns pro. That'll just open up more minutes for Ajou Ajou Deng.

(That was really said - in fairness, everyone thought Deng was going to be the goods)

Reaction Score
Freshman PGs almost never make the transition to college without there being a learning curve.
Anyone that thinks JA is going to come in day one and be a better floor general then Boat is nuts. Think Bazz as a freshman- that's what I am hoping for.

Reaction Score
No; Adams will be a better point but not a better playa.

If Adams is a better point guard his freshman season than Boat was his senior season it would mean he had one of the best freshman seasons ever for a point guard.

I'm psyched to have the kid here, but that's expecting a lot from him.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
If Adams is a better point guard his freshman season than Boat was his senior season it would mean he had one of the best freshman seasons ever for a point guard.

I'm psyched to have the kid here, but that's expecting a lot from him.
Everything I have heard points to a freshmen bazz. Don't know anyone who wouldn't take that. Jalen is bigger and more athletic which you have to like.

Reaction Score
Everything I have heard points to a freshmen bazz. Don't know anyone who wouldn't take that. Jalen is bigger and more athletic which you have to like.
Same espectations were said of freshman Boat, Drummond, Gordon, Robinson, Donyell, etc.. Experience shows that nobody can promote freshman to be anything in Div 1 until the season starts.

God forbids Jalen blows up in practice and scrimmages, then he will be our next Chris Paul until the first few games.

If you give Boat, junior Kemba's squad or even a few from Shabazz's last year's squad, no one would be making the freshman Jalen/ Senior Boat comparisons. Its sad that posters can even attempt to say this is insulting to Boat. Give freshman Jalen this year's crew and do people really think that he can do better than Boat?

Anyway Kemba, Boat and Bazz have set a very high bar, lets just hope Jalen just comes close.

Reaction Score

We have a lot of talent
I like the optimism, but I think you're one year too early with the title prediction. We should be contenders in '16/17 provided Amida and DHam stay that long, Facey continues to develop, Enoch and Adams are as good as advertised, and somebody teaches the entire team how to make a goshdarn free throw.

Reaction Score
There's no reason we can't contend for a championship next year. I'm not saying it'll happen, but it's a reasonable goal. Even without Boatright, the talent and experience will be there, it's just a matter of whether the guys who will be on that team are able to take the necessary steps to becoming really good players between now and then.

Reaction Score

We have a lot of talent

I agree, if everything breaks right it can happen. Right now next year's starters would be Brimah, Hamilton, Calhoun, Pervis and probably Adams with a bench of Samuel, Facey, Enoch, Cassell. If everyone coming back improves and we get one more gifted ball handler that would be at least a top 15 team.

Right now we need a guard/ball handler added to the 2015 class more than we need a center.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Right now we need a guard/ball handler added to the 2015 class more than we need a center.

Its our recipe for Championships. The key word however is 'reliable'. Ricky had Khalid. Taliek had Ben, Kemba had Bazz, and Bazz had Boat. Either guard was reliable with the ball.

Samuel, Purvis and Cassell know how to dribble but will they improve next to be reliable (against the press, late game handle, assisting, relieving the pg, low turnovers, pressure handling the ball, etc..).

You would have to believe Moore, Hobbs and Ollie would have to know this and either have it covered or are confident with what we have.

Reaction Score
Right now next year's starters would be Brimah, Hamilton, Calhoun, Pervis and probably Adams with a bench of Samuel, Facey, Enoch, Cassell.
No way Facey's not a starter next year. I think he's actually a smart darkhorse candidate to be our leading scorer, because he has all the tools - pretty jump shot, surprisingly good post footwork, length, quickness and athleticism to finish at the rim.

He'll come into next season with a ton of confidence because of all the playing time he's getting this year, and is going to be an absolute stud.

C: Brimah, Enoch, Nolan
PF: Facey, Lubin
SF: Hamilton
SG: Calhoun, Purvis, Brown
PG: Adams, Samuel, Cassell

Obviously there will be some position switching at the SG/SF spots, and just as obviously Enoch is a good bet to get time at both the 4 and the 5. But this is the lineup I can't wait to see:

C: Enoch
PF: Facey
SF: Hamilton
SG: Calhoun
PG: Adams

A slashing, super-athletic penetrating PG surrounded by 4 guys who have range out to the 3-point line. We'll be the Hawks!

Reaction Score
Freshman Bazz had Kemba on the ball for the majority of minutes.
I love TSam but he is not Kemba.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Brimah has to work a lot harder in the offseason. I know he was hurt last spring, but I was expecting much more improvement this year.

Reaction Score
I do believe Adams will be a better point don't know how long that will be and a better playa in the long term but everyone is right saying he needs a sidekick and a good one too compliment his skills. We are still missing a piece or two for a run next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom