Our Starting Lineup Today | The Boneyard

Our Starting Lineup Today

Reaction Score
If we had a huge qualifier next week, where everyone had to be released, and everyone was equally health and rested, I think we can name with over 90% certainty 10 of the 11 starters: Howard, Brooks, Cameron, Yedlin, Johnson, Bradley, Nagbe, Pulisic, Altidore and Wood. I think the only question today -- and as you extrapolate it to the start of the World Cup -- is who is #11.

In part, it depends on formation. You could play a 3-4-2-1, where Fabian and Yedlin are wingbacks and it opens up a spot for Omar or Tim Ream. That would not be my choice. You could play a traditional 4-4-2, with Fabian playing left FB. This is where I lean, and I'm just not sold on Vallafuena yet. And opens up the 11th slot for someone to emerge to play either alongside Bradley or, if Nagbe plays alongside Bradley, on the wing. If I'm coaching and the game is tomorrow, the #11 is Bedoya. It could just as easily be Acosta or Arriola (yuch) or Zardes (double yuch) or someone just below the surface, like any of Gooch, Danny Williams or Julius Green who gets off to a good start in Europe. Or it could be 4-4-2 with Vallfuena at left full.

But for those of us trying to root for our national team instead of living to pick it apart, I think at the moment we have a fairly good picture of who Arena intends to be starting when we open in Russia.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The majority of the folks you've named are likely the starters.

For me, it is going to be very interesting to see if Arena chooses to give Dempsey a start in any of the upcoming games. It's clear he is in the top 11 in terms of talent still, but what's not clear is whether or not Arena thinks Dempsey can give him a strong 90 or if he just prefers that Dempsey gives him an impactful 35. If it's the former, then Nagbe is likely coming off the bench or he's starting on the left and Johnson is coming off the bench. Johnson gives flexibility because he is effective at both the right back and left wing midfielder roles.

Another question for me is whether Arena believes in Bedoya more than Arriola. I certainly do, but Arriola got a lot of burn this tourney and I'm guessing that Arena may favor Arriola's speed.

On defense, questions would include whether Villafana starts on the left or does Arena tinker there (or use Johnson on D instead of mid). Also, how much does Arena like Omar, and if the answer is "alot", then I suppose he could perhaps push Cameron into the midfield again.

Without any of the aforementioned answers, I'm guessing the lineup will be:

Howard
Villafana, Brooks, Cameron, Yedlin
Johnson, Nagbe, Bradley, Pulisic
Wood, Altidore

First level subs: Dempsey, Bedoya, Acosta, Morris

Less likely subs: McCarty, Arriola, Zardes, Gonzalez, Zusi

Reaction Score
I fear how things will go if there are any injuries on the back line (and our back line is somewhat injury-prone).

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We need to ride this momentum into the Costa Rica home game. If we win that, we will more than likely coast to the World Cup.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
T

Howard
Wood, Altidore
I could live with that lineup.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think the interesting part is what that I don't think there is much of a drop off between a bunch of players on a one game basis. Playing fresh legs or changing formations may be the most dangerous aspect of this team provided Arena can match up correctly. I think you can pick from Yedlin, Johnson, Villafana at full back, Nagbe, Acosta, Jones at midfield with Bedoya or even Morris if pressed. I'd like to see Wood and Dempsey right now but they haven't always played nice on the field together. Dwyer, Morris, Altidore can all put the ball in the net. I'd also like to see Carter-Vickers in the mix at centerback. We have a lot of bodies there but all are prone to lapses at the worst time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We can't do better than Villafana? Did he make a decent cross all game?

Reaction Score
We can't do better than Villafana? Did he make a decent cross all game?

No. He did a very solid job going forward, but the percentage of his crosses that were knocked down by the guy guarding him was unbelievable.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think Villafana is ascending in a position we have never stabilized since the US started taking soccer seriously.

I'm rooting for him and I think he could be starting in Russia if other pieces come together. I definitely see him making the roster. We will see how he does against better competition.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We can't do better than Villafana?
Besides Johnson, who probably should be in the midfield, who do you suggest?

Unfortunately, no, I'm not sure we can do better. I'd love for there to be lot's of better options for many of the positions, but I don't think that is the reality.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Besides Johnson, who probably should be in the midfield, who do you suggest?

I don't know, that's why I'm asking. It's uncomfortable agreeing with Lalas on anything.

Reaction Score
The majority of the folks you've named are likely the starters.

For me, it is going to be very interesting to see if Arena chooses to give Dempsey a start in any of the upcoming games. It's clear he is in the top 11 in terms of talent still, but what's not clear is whether or not Arena thinks Dempsey can give him a strong 90 or if he just prefers that Dempsey gives him an impactful 35. If it's the former, then Nagbe is likely coming off the bench or he's starting on the left and Johnson is coming off the bench. Johnson gives flexibility because he is effective at both the right back and left wing midfielder roles.

Another question for me is whether Arena believes in Bedoya more than Arriola. I certainly do, but Arriola got a lot of burn this tourney and I'm guessing that Arena may favor Arriola's speed.

On defense, questions would include whether Villafana starts on the left or does Arena tinker there (or use Johnson on D instead of mid). Also, how much does Arena like Omar, and if the answer is "alot", then I suppose he could perhaps push Cameron into the midfield again.

Howard
Wood, Altidore

First level subs: Dempsey, Bedoya, Acosta, Morris

Less likely subs: McCarty, Arriola, Zardes, Gonzalez, Zusi

Based on past history, there will be at least 3-4 names in that mix that we haven't even considered. It always happened.

For example, EPB and CCV could really develop. If Haji Wright and the other Schalke guy are playing regularly then they will be in the mix.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Based on past history, there will be at least 3-4 names in that mix that we haven't even considered. It always happened.

For example, EPB and CCV could really develop. If Haji Wright and the other Schalke guy are playing regularly then they will be in the mix.

Well, that of course is true. But the title of the thread is "Our Starting Lineup Today". I have no reason today to believe that those players are in the starting 11. And if they make it into the starting 11, that means that they showed themselves to be better options and I'll be even happier...

Reaction Score

I will be just as happy as you if some European based players push themselves to the mix by next summer. But it won't be at centerback. That's a position where experience really matters, and CCV is senior to EPB and he's just not ready until he's playing regularly somewhere. If it happens, it will be in the midfield. Wright or McKennie -- could be. More likely would be a Green or a Hyndman or a Perez in Florence, but the European youngsters need to be playing regularly for that to happen.

Reaction Score
I will be just as happy as you if some European based players push themselves to the mix by next summer. But it won't be at centerback. That's a position where experience really matters, and CCV is senior to EPB and he's just not ready until he's playing regularly somewhere. If it happens, it will be in the midfield. Wright or McKennie -- could be. More likely would be a Green or a Hyndman or a Perez in Florence, but the European youngsters need to be playing regularly for that to happen.

I think it's possible that EPB might be more highly rated than CCV when it is all said and done. He'll be in Europe very soon as it has been made known that he wants to make that move. Sporting has already rebuffed Juventus and Porto , but they are just not meeting the asking price. He's really turned it on lately, with Ike Opara injured and Besler off with the USMNT he's been getting all the minutes and has looked really good. So I suspect that it is only a matter of time before someone meets the asking price.

Reaction Score
I think it's possible that EPB might be more highly rated than CCV when it is all said and done. He'll be in Europe very soon as it has been made known that he wants to make that move. Sporting has already rebuffed Juventus and Porto , but they are just not meeting the asking price. He's really turned it on lately, with Ike Opara injured and Besler off with the USMNT he's been getting all the minutes and has looked really good. So I suspect that it is only a matter of time before someone meets the asking price.

I thought he was better in the U-20s than CCV, so I'm not surprised by that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Russia is a long way off, but for now, given BL's everyone is fit and available, I'd say 4-4-2 and this lineup.

Howard
Johnson, Brooks, Cameron, Yedlin
Nagbe, Bradley, Pulisic, Arriola
Wood, Altidore

I think Johnson and Yedlin serve us best in back, where their speed covers up some mistakes, and where they can chip in on offense. That right wing midfield slot is the most open in my mind, along with any decision about starting Dempsey. My guess is that Arena will vary it. Start Dempsey in some matches and not others. He won't be playing 90.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom