Our Schedule For Next Year and Beyond | The Boneyard

Our Schedule For Next Year and Beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've digested nearly everything on both the realignment board and this one and no matter how it's sugarcoated I feel no better about our league or situation. What I want to know is now that Calhoun has mentioned that they are looking at schedule, what do we need to get lined up our SOS and almost as important for KO to be able to say to recruits that they are going to get the national exposure that we have always gotten? IMO they have to act like this is our conference for the next 10 years. What is the incentive for these big conference schools to put us on the schedule? Preseason tournaments are one partial answer but not the whole.

Reaction Score
I've digested nearly everything on both the realignment board and this one and no matter how it's sugarcoated I feel no better about our league or situation. What I want to know is now that Calhoun has mentioned that they are looking at schedule, what do we need to get lined up our SOS and almost as important for KO to be able to say to recruits that they are going to get the national exposure that we have always gotten? IMO they have to act like this is our conference for the next 10 years. What is the incentive for these big conference schools to put us on the schedule? Preseason tournaments are one partial answer but not the whole.
I know we have Texas on the schedule for next year, and we are at Texas the following year. At Washington, BC/Indiana/Washington in the Garden next year. Plus you will have Louisville twice next year. The year after is where we need to be more aggressive...play in the Preseason NIT, play in Maui, and schedule home and homes with good teams.

Reaction Score
Frankly,based on conference, Uconn is a mid major now. They need to schedule with that in mind, accordingly
I agree, but the people in charge are almost silent and this bracketology crap has me in a foul mood. I already drank too much today and it's caused me to ruminate on the past 8 months and now I'm looking to place blame, but of course the right thing to do is to make the best out of the situation. KO is doing all he can but should we be happy with our president and AD?

Reaction Score
Frankly,based on conference, Uconn is a mid major now. They need to schedule with that in mind, accordingly

It's not so easy however when you require home-and-homes.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
It will be critical to not schedule the really weak OOC games (sub200 RPI) but rather schedule the 75-150 RPI teams. This will require some good good prognostication skills (evaluation of returning talent of existing opponents etc.)...we may also need to schedule some home and home series with stronger regional mid-majors (Albany, Vermont etc)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Assuming Cincinnati maintains a reasonably high level, we have Temple, Cincy and Memphis who should be Top 50-60, and then no one else in the league is Top 100. UConn needs to schedule 8 major OOC opponents a year. I don't expect the ACC to ever schedule us, because they just want us to die, so we need to play the C7 as much as possible, 3 games against the other majors, and maybe a home and home with a top MWC or A10 squad every year since they will give us the home and home.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Good points.
Next year, of course, they will have a home and home with L'ville (likely top ten again) and Rutty will likely be close to top fifty (they have a lot coming back)...but both will only be there for the year

Reaction Score
Just win and everything will take care of itself. No need to overthink it.

Reaction Score
Louisville sticking around for a year is huge - it's basically the equivalent of scheduling two big-time OOC games. Our schedule should be fine next year.

Reaction Score
Assuming Cincinnati maintains a reasonably high level, we have Temple, Cincy and Memphis who should be Top 50-60, and then no one else in the league is Top 100. UConn needs to schedule 8 major OOC opponents a year. I don't expect the ACC to ever schedule us, because they just want us to die, so we need to play the C7 as much as possible, 3 games against the other majors, and maybe a home and home with a top MWC or A10 squad every year since they will give us the home and home.

You think those teams will never rise up to that level? How pessimistic can you be? I know So. Miss. isn't in the new conference, but they are just one example of a team that plays good ball and certainly can make a case for being top 40 two years in a row. There are teams like that in the conference. No doubt Uconn needs to ramp up its OOC schedule, but the truth is that it will struggle to do so. It pays 5 or 6 good OOC schools now. It will be hard to see it exceeding this unless it's willing to play Gonzaga on the road, Butler on the road, etc.

Reaction Score
They will have to schedule teams on the road, that is what mid majors do

Reaction Score
If people want to consider a 10x NC program a mid-major, they can do so.
Fact is, our BB program will help the other programs grow within our conference. Matched with Memphis, Cincy, and Temple, this is a solid 4 bid league at worst.

Uconn is the 'Big Boy' program in this conference. If Uconn does what it needs to do and becomes a traditional Top 25 Program in FB along with Cincy, and USF/UCF continue on their trends, this conference will get better. ECU, SMU, Houston, and Memphis are wild-cards. If they can get some good coaching, recruit well in their locale, and challenge their bigger geographic rivals, this league will get noticed.

It's not a given this will happen, but it certainly isn't impossible.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
It's not so easy however when you require home-and-homes.

You're linking the wrong cause and effect.

Mid-majors normally have trouble with home-home's because they're in podunkville (all jokes about Storrs aside).

Our location in the northeast helps us here.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see if UConn can schedule another Aircraft Carrier game, like the one with Arizona that got cancelled. I think it would be a great recruiting tool. The game in Germany was big too, first of it's kind, I believe. Michigan State really does a great job of promoting their team early in the season with lots of exposure. It would be wise for UConn do something similar on a yearly basis. Getting creative with other Top teams to kick off the season would be awesome. Warde are you listening? ;)

Reaction Score
You're linking the wrong cause and effect.
Mid-majors normally have trouble with home-home's because they're in podunkville (all jokes about Storrs aside).
Our location in the northeast helps us here.

Top Mid-Majors are often in a rough spot. Most Top-Major programs won't schedule them unless it's at a Top-Major's home court or a neutral court (see Puke). Very rarely will you ever see a Top-Major program go to a Mid-Major home court. Gonzaga always has that issue. The Big Guys are afraid they could lose, so they play it all to their favor. That's the reality.

Reaction Score

SOS.... You mean on a shingle... Cause thats the league we are in. Herbst and Manuel are walking with pants down around there ankles.Where are the apologists for these losers. We will be in a better league, dont sweat it...Sure we will.

Reaction Score
If people want to consider a 10x NC program a mid-major, they can do so.
Fact is, our BB program will help the other programs grow within our conference. Matched with Memphis, Cincy, and Temple, this is a solid 4 bid league at worst.

Uconn is the 'Big Boy' program in this conference. If Uconn does what it needs to do and becomes a traditional Top 25 Program in FB along with Cincy, and USF/UCF continue on their trends, this conference will get better. ECU, SMU, Houston, and Memphis are wild-cards. If they can get some good coaching, recruit well in their locale, and challenge their bigger geographic rivals, this league will get noticed.

It's not a given this will happen, but it certainly isn't impossible.

Yeah, I can't wait for the big rivalry with SMU. We lost all our favorite rivals. what is to be excited about. Louisville kills us every time and Cincy is not a real rival. I could only guess that the worthless turd Emmert is behind all this crap. Look at what we had this year. Now this crappy realignment. Give me a fugggging break!!!!!!

Reaction Score
It will be critical to not schedule the really weak OOC games (sub200 RPI) but rather schedule the 75-150 RPI teams. This will require some good good prognostication skills (evaluation of returning talent of existing opponents etc.)...we may also need to schedule some home and home series with stronger regional mid-majors (Albany, Vermont etc)
I would look for the schedule to improve marginally. Expect to see a couple of the Maryland Eastern Shore type teams to be replaced with higher level opponents, more like A-10 level teams. Maybe 1 additional "BCS" team. UConn isn't going to schedule 7 top 5 teams in the early season. We will marginally upgrade things, maybe try and land another name team at home or at the XL Center in order to encourage people to come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom