Our RB rotation | The Boneyard

Our RB rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
the coaches know better than we do. I know this.

However is it me or does anyone else not like Johnson as an "every down back"? It seems to me like he's in for way too long of stretches at times. Newsome's burst and acceleration to/through a hole is fantastic and in my opinion critical to the success of the run game with how poor our O-Line play can be at times. I'd like to see Marriner get more opportunities at RB, he does nothing but impress every time he is on the field. This is not a diss on Johnson but rather a compliment to our other backs, I feel as though we have 3 really good ones.

Also wouldn't mind some shotgun formations with 2RBs flanking Shirreffs on either side. Would allow us to utilize Newsome's pass catching abilities and Shirreff's mobility while providing back up for the O-Line and lets Johnson run downhill. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I've been saying this all offseason. The backs are very good. It seems like good things happen when we mix them up and throw different looks out there. On our first TD drive Johnson, Marriner and Newsome all made plays.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Johnson and newsome are both very good. I'm sure the staff will figure out as the season goes on when each of them should play. Wouldn't mind some 2 back sets either.

Reaction Score
Newsome was a little more assertive in the second half than he has been. That was good to see. He reminds me of Kyle McCombs where he goes down with minimal contact . As an undersized RB I was hoping he was a stronger runner ala Terry Cauley. I was nervous as hell on the last possession with his fumbling history. He is still an asset. I just don't see him ever having Donald Brown, Terry Cauley or Jordan Todman type production.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I would like to see more Mariner. But all 3 backs show promise.

Yep - I'd like to see Mariner get 5-8 hand offs in the next game and use RJ as a ball carrying FB. RJ has very limited cut ability and doesn't have the extra gear to get to the edge or through the hole at times. RJ is less successful turning nothing into something.

Meanwhile for the first time ever I really saw Newsome take nothing and turn it into something...and start to fall forward when hit. Let's see more of that next week.

Reaction Score
He reminds me of Kyle McCombs where he goes down with minimal contact . As an undersized RB I was hoping he was a stronger runner ala Terry Cauley. .

Go back and watch his TD run and the /consecutive 8-10yd gains in the 4thQ. I also saw him driving the pile today in both halves. He's growing in confidence each game - strength is not the issues. The only time I think he got knocked down on first contact was by Knappe!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Go back and watch his TD run and the /consecutive 8-10yd gains in the 4thQ. I also saw him driving the pile today in both halves. He's growing in confidence each game - strength is not the issues. The only time I think he got knocked down on first contact was by Knappe!

I agree - he showed something different today. He needs a few more touches next week and see if he can keep up the positive momentum he had this week.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
With the line as inconsistent as it is, I don't know how anyone can grade the backs on anything. Every play is a box of chocolates. Which one is in there when it works out is random.

Reaction Score
We have 4 backs that could get touches. I agree Marriner could fit in a bit more but don't see an everydown back. Just good options if used well. And every week the matchups will change. Next week someone else might be the answer. Just hoping we have that answer.

Reaction Score
Comparing him McCombs was not an insult. McCombs gained a lot of yards for UConn. McCombs was better than people gave him credit for. The Taliek Brown of the football team. So I was basically saying Newsome will be more Taliek Brown than Ray Allen. Not an insult.

Reaction Score
Newsome looked very good today and showed great vision and instinct. not a fan of changing up backs just for change or spreading carries. Most need reps to get s rhythm and feel and get better with more carries.

Reaction Score
Comparing him McCombs was not an insult. McCombs gained a lot of yards for UConn. McCombs was better than people gave him credit for. The Taliek Brown of the football team. So I was basically saying Newsome will be more Taliek Brown than Ray Allen. Not an insult.
Newsome broke more tackles today than McCombs did in his career.

Reaction Score
No player ever frustrated me more than McCombs. Not even our Qbs. No one was ever tackled more often by the lines on the field than him.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

This right here is why I like RonJon as our #1. He can truck over any DB, maybe LB, in the country. Dude has tree trunks for legs and, when he's motivated, is an absolutely beast to bring down. Runs very similar to Donald Brown in his JR season. Doesn't have the true break-away speed (just like Brown), but he is going to break tackles and gain extra yards after contact.

Newsome is very talented and is absolutely a weapon for us. But he's better served as being our "lightning" back used more to give RonJon a breather and the offense a change of pace. I'd still like to see some split back sets with both on the field at the same time. Read-option with RonJon and a pass option component with Newsome. Maybe that's coming later in the season.

Reaction Score
This right here is why I like RonJon as our #1. He can truck over any DB, maybe LB, in the country. Dude has tree trunks for legs and, when he's motivated, is an absolutely beast to bring down. Runs very similar to Donald Brown in his JR season. Doesn't have the true break-away speed (just like Brown), but he is going to break tackles and gain extra yards after contact.

Newsome is very talented and is absolutely a weapon for us. But he's better served as being our "lightning" back used more to give RonJon a breather and the offense a change of pace. I'd still like to see some split back sets with both on the field at the same time. Read-option with RonJon and a pass option component with Newsome. Maybe that's coming later in the season.

I disagree on Newsome. I like Newsome as the bell cow and Ron Johnson serving as the change of pace back or "closer" later in the game. Newsome offers an added threat as an excellent pass catcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom