Our NET Nitty Gritty Report powered by warrennolan.com | The Boneyard

Our NET Nitty Gritty Report powered by warrennolan.com

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Good to post this. I estimate I went to this about 400 times last season.

One thing to note, Sagarin isn't publishing this season, so that wont be on the teamsheets this year. They aren't replacing it with anything, so one less metric on there.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Good to post this. I estimate I went to this about 400 times last season.

One thing to note, Sagarin isn't publishing this season, so that wont be on the teamsheets this year. They aren't replacing it with anything, so one less metric on there.
I noticed that. Sagarin must have retired.

Reaction Score
I would imagine that this ranking will rise as they get into the Big East schedule, and win a majority of those games, and the number of terrible cupcakes they played becomes less of a percentage of the season. Is that the way NET works?

Reaction Score
Two things i expect as season progresses is Texas to move from Q2 to Q1 and Indiana from Q3 to Q2.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Two things i expect as season progresses is Texas to move from Q2 to Q1 and Indiana from Q3 to Q2.
Well that was my thinking in another thread where I stated would it be better for us for Texas to beat Marquette and if you view the thread not a lot of BY agreed. Now that they were humiliated by a very good Marquette team they will have to work hard the enter the Q1 level.

Reaction Score
Well that was my thinking in another thread where I stated would it be better for us for Texas to beat Marquette and if you view the thread not a lot of BY agreed. Now that they were humiliated by a very good Marquette team they will have to work hard the enter the Q1 level.
Not a lot of people agreed with your thinking because it is just flat out wrong. Yes, our NET rating today would be higher if Texas had won yesterday, but these non-conference games are a huge part of strength of schedule moving forward. We play Marquette 2-3 times vs. just once for Texas. Texas will have one of the most difficult strength of schedules in the country playing in the Big 12 this year, they have plenty of opportunities to rise to a Q1 team. Unfortunately, the Big East is not quite as deep as the Big 12 this year and while we do have UConn, Marquette and Creighton holding their own at the top, we will have a bunch of other 50-100 ranked teams in the middle of our league followed by dreadful DePaul and Georgetown teams. I wish we had beaten Kansas and Marquette had taken care of business against Wisconsin because it would have elevated the perception and strength of schedule of our whole conference.

Just to summarize how this all works:

1) The first 1-2 months of the season basically sets your conference ranking for the entire season
2) The last 3 months of the season is playing only in conference teams. Even if we go undefeated in the Big East which is unlikely, it's not going to make the Big East a higher ranked conference than the Big 12 as those conference rankings are established with non-conference games (see #1 above)

To simplify even further for you: Always root for the Big East when they're playing any non-conference team. Win your marquee non-conference games and then hope UConn dominates in league play. That our ticket to the highest NET ranking and highest seeding.

Reaction Score
Not a lot of people agreed with your thinking because it is just flat out wrong. Yes, our NET rating today would be higher if Texas had won yesterday, but these non-conference games are a huge part of strength of schedule moving forward. We play Marquette 2-3 times vs. just once for Texas. Texas will have one of the most difficult strength of schedules in the country playing in the Big 12 this year, they have plenty of opportunities to rise to a Q1 team. Unfortunately, the Big East is not quite as deep as the Big 12 this year and while we do have UConn, Marquette and Creighton holding their own at the top, we will have a bunch of other 50-100 ranked teams in the middle of our league followed by dreadful DePaul and Georgetown teams. I wish we had beaten Kansas and Marquette had taken care of business against Wisconsin because it would have elevated the perception and strength of schedule of our whole conference.

Just to summarize how this all works:

1) The first 1-2 months of the season basically sets your conference ranking for the entire season
2) The last 3 months of the season is playing only in conference teams. Even if we go undefeated in the Big East which is unlikely, it's not going to make the Big East a higher ranked conference than the Big 12 as those conference rankings are established with non-conference games (see #1 above)

To simplify even further for you: Always root for the Big East when they're playing any non-conference team. Win your marquee non-conference games and then hope UConn dominates in league play. That our ticket to the highest NET ranking and highest seeding.
I will also add that on top of Texas having a Big 12 gauntlet ahead of them, a lot of mid majors sitting in the top 50 will fall back once they have to play their lesser conference foes and inevitably drop Q3 and even a Q4 game here and there so Texas will move up 5-10 spots off that alone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom