Our Inbounds plays are horrendous | The Boneyard

Our Inbounds plays are horrendous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I love Ollie but we seriously need to work on this. Always a struggle to inbound the ball and it usually is just a long throw to the top of the key

Reaction Score
I don't get it, I've seen a lot of teams and we are the worst at inbounds.

Reaction Score
I understand why Ollie wants to use Hamilton for inbounding... his body is built for being a good inbounder... unfortunately he does not have the decision-making for it at this point.

Reaction Score
We always wind up throwing it to the top and our guy needs to out jump the other team to get it. Sure enough Tulsa picked off one late in 2nd half

Reaction Score
THIS! Nothing frustrates me more about this team than the lack of an inbounds play. It gets me more than the poor FT shooting. On my below average high school team we had 8-10 quick hitter inbounds plays. UConn has 1 inbounds play. One. Either boatright/another guard catches it ball side corner, lob over the top to half, or a 5 second call.

Similarly, if teams press our press breaker is run right to the corner, get doubled and make a jump pass back to the inbounder. Can't catch the ball in the corner. Makes the trap that much more difficult to get out of

Reaction Score
Hamilton should not be inbounding the ball.
Couldn't agree morel The coaching, and not from just KO is really troubling this year. This is a veteran staff and from the looks of the team you'd never know it.

Reaction Score
THIS! Nothing frustrates me more about this team than the lack of an inbounds play. It gets me more than the poor FT shooting. On my below average high school team we had 8-10 quick hitter inbounds plays. UConn has 1 inbounds play. One. Either boatright/another guard catches it ball side corner, lob over the top to half, or a 5 second call.

Similarly, if teams press our press breaker is run right to the corner, get doubled and make a jump pass back to the inbounder. Can't catch the ball in the corner. Makes the trap that much more difficult to get out of
can you please video your inbounds plays and send them to UCONN - thanks

Reaction Score
The high lob up top isn't what we want - it's the last option before the 5 count when the other things dry up. What's hurt us lately is that Hamilton has been hesitant to pull the trigger on the first cutter or two when there's a tight window to get the ball in. But sometimes that's your only window, and then you end up having to go to the bail out option, regardless of whether it's open. He's playing too tentative in general. Early in the year, he was playing free and easy - I remember a fluid step back three against Bryant or Charleston where I thought "damn, he's going to be a lottery pick if he can make those" and now he doesn't really want to shoot wide open (he got out of that late when there was nothing to lose, which is good). Even the start of the WV game before their press punched him in the mouth, he dominated the game for five minutes. But now he's a little tentative and afraid to make mistakes - and being afraid to fail often means you fail. He needs to just put his last mistake behind him and think "next play" - if there's a little window to squeeze a pass inbounds, trust yourself. If you miss a shot or throw the ball away, trust you'll make the next one. Easy to say from the living room couch, but his growth curve this season is crucial and making aggressive mistakes can help his growth, but the tentative mistakes like the bail out pass on the inbounds, or the lazy turnover because you are afraid to attack are mistakes you get no benefit from.

For inbounds plays I'm not sure we have a better choice, unless maybe Samuel is in. We want Boat on the receiving end, and Purvis honestly can't seem to throw the ball where he wants to. KF is a bad option too.

Reaction Score
I know the high lob is the last option - regardless we still need new inbounds plays. Our opponents clearly know which way are guys our going. We never score off inbounds plays and we always struggle to get the ball in - very frustrating

Reaction Score
Yep, this has been a problem. It's actually a problem on both ends of the court. In end game situations we have had trouble getting the ball in after an opponent make.

But this team needs to work on offense every minute it can.

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree morel The coaching, and not from just KO is really troubling this year. This is a veteran staff and from the looks of the team you'd never know it.

Probably because that veteran staff isn't the one playing. I agree the results aren't inspiring but you do realize that at the end of the day the players are the ones on the floor who have to make plays right? We've seen this same thing time and time again from our young teams that eventually matured, I'm not really sure why everyone is acting so surprised that young and inexperienced players are making dumb mistakes and lacking focus.

Reaction Score
Probably because that veteran staff isn't the one playing. I agree the results aren't inspiring but you do realize that at the end of the day the players are the ones on the floor who have to make plays right? We've seen this same thing time and time again from our young teams that eventually matured, I'm not really sure why everyone is acting so surprised that young and inexperienced players are making dumb mistakes and lacking focus.
Oh, I didn't realize that. I thought the coaches were able to regain eligibility and get back out on the court. Part of my point was that experienced coaches like Hobbs and Miller are also working with these guys everyday and KO shouldn't shoulder all the blame. This is a young team, no question and mistakes are to be expected. But why compound things by having a very turnover prone freshman inbound the ball in crunch time on the road?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Conversely, last year we as a team were MONEY on the inbounds plays. In the game against MSU at MSG I remember a stat that said UConn scored on some absurd % of plays post-timeouts and via inbounds.

Reaction Score
In the 2 games we lost at Gampel, Yale and Texas, after the 3 pointer by the opponent we had time to inbound and get a miracle heave off but in both situations we did not even complete a pass to our own teammate. Those situations were good examples of our season long struggle in the inbounding department.

Reaction Score
Just a lob to the safety valve (often Brimah) at the top of the key most of the time. How about a lob to Brimah at the rim?

Reaction Score
Conversely, last year we as a team were MONEY on the inbounds plays. In the game against MSU at MSG I remember a stat that said UConn scored on some absurd % of plays post-timeouts and via inbounds.
Giffey was a terrific inbound passer. And a terrific catch and shoot guy if he wasn't inbounding. Daniels loved to run to the rim on inbounds. Ahhhh memories

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
it's how last years's team was early on

when I made such a comment, I think following the Stanford game, I got boneyarded

Reaction Score
We shouldn't be impatient.

Remember, and it's hard to do:

The lineups and plays we run now that maximize the chance of winning now
are not the same as
the lineups and plays we run now that maximize the chance of winning in March.

Ollie, is, perhaps, willing to put up with DHam's learning curve now if it means we'll have the best opportunity to win in 2.5 months.

Reaction Score
We shouldn't be impatient.

Remember, and it's hard to do:

The lineups and plays we run now that maximize the chance of winning now
are not the same as
the lineups and plays we run now that maximize the chance of winning in March.

Ollie, is, perhaps, willing to put up with DHam's learning curve now if it means we'll have the best opportunity to win in 2.5 months.

Teams playing us don't seem to have the same problems.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm in the camp of the problem is Hamilton's decision making and hesistance.

The inbounding play has been poor. There are opportunities each game for the quick basket but Hamilton hasn't seen the player at the right time. Inbounds plays need the inbounder to anticipate the player getting open to a spot for them to work. By the time a player gets open, if the ball is thrown to that spot, the defense has time to react to it.

Against UF the team ran a good play and Boat steps on the baseline. Would have been an easy deuce. Against Tulsa, Phil set a screen and rolled to the basket- wide open but no pass. There's been several other times where this has happened this year, but I'm drawing blanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom